View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 03:31 PM
I'm a foster carer (of humans!!) and Kiz can sometimes be nervous of the new young people I have in so she has a cage that she goes into for security. I tell all kids that when she's in her cage she is to be left alone - no if's, buts or maybe's. It's in my kitchen so I can keep an eye on her when the kids are about. If they do pester her I then put consequences in place.
Kiara has never shown any signs of aggression just worry and nerves so her cage is her sanctuary. She usually only goes in for a couple of days then comes out of herself.

This may be a short term idea to give her time and space to relax while you find her a good new home but I agree that your son should never be left alone with her.
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-03-2011, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by Baileys Blind View Post
I'm a foster carer (of humans!!) and Kiz can sometimes be nervous of the new young people I have in so she has a cage that she goes into for security. I tell all kids that when she's in her cage she is to be left alone - no if's, buts or maybe's. It's in my kitchen so I can keep an eye on her when the kids are about. If they do pester her I then put consequences in place.
Kiara has never shown any signs of aggression just worry and nerves so her cage is her sanctuary. She usually only goes in for a couple of days then comes out of herself.

This may be a short term idea to give her time and space to relax while you find her a good new home but I agree that your son should never be left alone with her.
good post
argh what a nightmare situation! well done on opening your heart to a dog in need, but it does seem to be a disaster waiting to happen
have you explained to your son what would happen to the DOG if she was to have a bad reaction to him? of course i dont want you to scare monger him, but perhaps explaining about dogs, that are fearful, and feel they MUST bite to protect themselves end up, in a not so nice place, perhaps you could tell him she would be in prison for the rest of her life?
i think sometimes children cant see how their actions might affect themselves, but he may see a different perspective if you explain what could happen to the dog if he doesnt listen to you?
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 11:31 PM
Originally Posted by Kizzymoo View Post
Hi, thanks for the advice, Tabithaj I will be doing some of the things you have said and I'm also going to get in touch with a dog trainer that I know. I've also started to get my son to give her, her food and any treats instead of me so hopefully she will see him in a more positive light. I am treading very carefully and they're not left alone even for a second.

The poor dog is having a lot to deal with at the moment. As well as coming to a new home she was also in season and suspected pregnant when she came to me. She had an injection to terminate the pregnancy last week.

I have spoken to her previous owner (who is a family member) who said that she's never known her to have a go at another dog (or person), she was genuinely surprised. So I'm hoping that all the nervousness is due to hormones and upheaval.

Will let you know how we get on...fingers crossed!
Take your son with you to the trainer. Often, someone the child doesn't know will have more influence than Mothers do. Pre-warn the trainer and ask her to gently give out some horror stories of dogs being PTS because of young children provoking them. Also, if the trainer will agree, let your son do the training with the trainer supervising, of course. Often youngsters can be redirected into working with the dog rather than against them if they are given the chance.

Have a child no-go area at home that can become your dog's safe zone. It may be a large crate, a quiet corner, but it's imperative that when she goes there that no one pesters her. This entails some child training, of course, but your child will benefit also.

This is a 'knife-edge' situation that needs a competent and experience dog trainer/behaviourist to assess and guide in person after seeing what exactly is happening. It may well be that the advice is to re-home if the situation is as bad as you say, but better that than risking the dog's nervousness developing into aggression with the result that far from rescuing her you will have signed her death warrant.

The very best of luck and I truly do hope that a behaviourist (at the very earliest you can get one in) can help.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 11:56 PM
Really hope the trainer manages to help and since your son is so interested in the dog, it might turn out better than you're probably envisaging at present

I think the idea of separating your son and the dog as much as possible is a sensible one, and the dog of course does need a 'safe space' where she can relax totally.

Baby gates are a fab idea

Do keep us posted
Kizzymoo
New Member!
Female 

21-03-2011, 08:54 PM
Hi and thanks again for all the advice,

I know that the majority of you suggested we rehome her again but we still have her with us and at the moment things are starting to settle. My son is beginning to leave her alone a lot more as the novelty is slowly wearing off. We have also been making use of the Wii as a distraction for the time being!

We have an extra high stairgate on our kitchen now and if I feel things are getting too hyper I have been putting her out there to have her own space. However, this is rarely happening and only for 10 minutes or so. I've also been letting my son help me care for her at feeding times etc. We have a sticker chart and 'dog rules' in place on the wall (for my son, not the dog ). Kizzy herself seems to be a little less nervous and we've had a bit of tail wagging and lots of excitement when the boys get home from school.

I have a dog behaviourist coming on Wednesday to assess her temperment and to give me some pointers on the issue of her having a go at the occasional dog. Providing that goes well we'll be signing up for an 8 week training course to improve her recall etc. She has said to me that Kizzy may be experiencing a phantom pregnancy due to the termination she had, which would explain the change in her behaviour to other dogs. Not forgetting the fact that she's had huge changes in her life all around the same time.

Anyway, thought I'd just give you an update and let you know that for the time being we're hanging in there and it's hopefully paying off.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 09:00 PM

I know that the majority of you suggested we rehome her again but we still have her with us and at the moment things are starting to settle. My son is beginning to leave her alone a lot more as the novelty is slowly wearing off. We have also been making use of the Wii as a distraction for the time being!

We have an extra high stairgate on our kitchen now and if I feel things are getting too hyper I have been putting her out there to have her own space. However, this is rarely happening and only for 10 minutes or so. I've also been letting my son help me care for her at feeding times etc. We have a sticker chart and 'dog rules' in place on the wall (for my son, not the dog ). Kizzy herself seems to be a little less nervous and we've had a bit of tail wagging and lots of excitement when the boys get home from school.

I have a dog behaviourist coming on Wednesday to assess her temperment and to give me some pointers on the issue of her having a go at the occasional dog. Providing that goes well we'll be signing up for an 8 week training course to improve her recall etc. She has said to me that Kizzy may be experiencing a phantom pregnancy due to the termination she had, which would explain the change in her behaviour to other dogs. Not forgetting the fact that she's had huge changes in her life all around the same time.

Anyway, thought I'd just give you an update and let you know that for the time being we're hanging in there and it's hopefully paying off.
All sounds promising. Good luck for Wednesday - let us know how you all get on
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 09:34 PM

Am so glad to read this and think you are FAB

Sounds as though it's all starting to calm down and I'm sure a good behaviourist will only help even more

Thanks so much for the update, am smiling over your post
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by Baileys Blind View Post

Were foster carers too, I think the above post is a very useful idea, I don't do this as our dogs are so child friendly I really need a cage for the kids to have peace but if I did have a nervouse dog, a bolt hole is a great idea for the dog to relax

Sounds good xxxxxxxx All the best
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2