Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2007, 03:25 PM

Dally killed by small pup (choke chain)

My sister called to tell me this a few days ago
A few days ago my BIL had met someone in the shop he would normaly bump into fairly often when she walked her dally,
Not thinking he said, "hi its been ages since I saw you, had wondered how you were, as normaly I bump into you when your out with the dog,"
The poor woman began to cry, apparently the dog had been out in the back garden and had been playing happily with the small puppy from next door, which I think may have been a JRT, she had looked out and saw them laying on the grass, thinking they were just having a quick rest she went back to what she had been doing,
A short time later she looked out again and noticed they were still in the same place, not up and running round as normal and thought she had better go and check,
somehow the pup had managed to get up between the dog and the choke chain on the dog but twisting the chain at the same time, the dally had sadly died, the dogs neck was so swollen they couldnt cut the collar, the small pup was still alive, I believe no lasting ill effect amazing as it may seem, but the fire brigade had to come and cut the chain to get the pup free,

Please if you have more than one dog never leave collars on when they are playing, even if its just the little dog next door in for a quick play Please take all collars off, they can be easily put back on later,
this is such a sad story................
RRmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-06-2007, 03:52 PM
OMG that is sooo sad.
What an awful lesson for that poor lady to learn.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2007, 03:56 PM
I've heard of so many dogs dying like this this year there really needs to be a warning on collars to warn people of what could happen.
Becky
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2007, 04:02 PM
That's so sad and about the 10th Dog I personally have heard about,either dieing or receiving serious injury

I never ever leave a collar on any of my Dogs they go on for walks only.

A few weeks ago my Brothers dog was here and playing with Parker and Billy's collar wrapped around Parker's bottom jaw
he screamed like hell thank god we were they to pull the collar off
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2007, 04:15 PM
Oh my god that is so awful, that poor woman must be so upset and kicking her self for not going over to see what they were doing th first time.
RIP little one.
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2007, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by dori-katie View Post
Oh my god that is so awful, that poor woman must be so upset and kicking her self for not going over to see what they were doing th first time.
RIP little one.
]

Chances are it would not have made a difference My OH friends two Mastiffs where playing in the Garden and one of the Dogs legs got caught in the Other Dogs collar some how he twisted the collar it was so tight it could not be removed there was no space to cut it the the man more or less had to stand there and watch his Dog choke to death
Kanikula
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2007, 04:27 PM
Thats so sad
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2007, 04:45 PM
That's awful, so sad when a dog dies but especially when they were just having fun.

Poor owners

Tonto doesn't have a collar at all (has a harness for walks) and Inca only wears hers for walks.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2007, 04:49 PM
That really is sad.

Takara used to wear a half check collar so that it didn't rub the hair on her neck, but whilst rolling about one day, she got the chain caught in the gap between the kitchen flags and everytime she struggled to get free it got tighter so I couldn't slip it over her head. It wouldn't have choked her as it was too big to tighten on her neck but it was enough to put me off them for life
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2007, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by beckyc View Post
That's awful, so sad when a dog dies but especially when they were just having fun.
My thoughts exactly - what a terrible things to happen.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >