View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2015, 08:46 AM
Hi Harvey! I wish I could have received the lick personally from him!

I don't care what you say, you are amazing and although I do not know you you make me feel very warm inside that I have "met" such a fine person. Your love and companionship of Harvey will do far far more for him than any pill or potion. You need to look after YOU as well, get plenty of sleep and fresh air with Harvey if the weather is fine and he can manage to go out. As always big hugs to you both xx
KennyUK
Dogsey Senior
Male 

19-03-2015, 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by Strangechilde View Post
I know this is all terribly stressful for you. Believe me, I've been there and so have so many people on this forum. We're here for you. You are doing so well by Harvey. Will you please give him a kiss on the snoot for me?
How lovely of you to take the time for such long and thoughtful post, thank you so much and it does mean a lot.

I'm still waiting to hear from the new vet, I know he has Harveys clinical records now but obviously he has other patients and surgery to get through so may hear from him later.

That said I am so stressed and just want to hear from him - Harv is getting worse daily and he needs to be seen.

Im getting a bit angry at the lack of urgency - dont know if Im right to feel this way but I cant help it.

Yes I am keeping to megs suggestion and have started a diary. I am noting everything I can but also dont want to put too much info so the vet has pages to read through. (hard to know whats too little or too much).

The smart phone idea is something I have already thought of and keep my phone by my side. I can't afford a home landline so the mobile is always to hand and ready to record..

I suspected that it may be the case that a lot of the supplements maybe wishful thinking your advice is good advice.

I've always fed Harv daily with fresh fruit and veg, he always gets two large carrots, either an apple or a pear, broccoli, maybe some thinly shreaded purple cabbage, chopped green beans. When its ready in the garden he loves crunchy lettace, strawberrys, blueberrys and blackberries.

Dont care about the fartage - would give anything right now to have my boy happy and healthy.

I thought Harv was the only dog I had heard of who's fave was carrot and apples, I used lumps of carrot as treats when I was training him - he loves them

For dry mix he is on James Wellbeloved senior dog mix - the one with less corn.

I'm certainly going to add in your suggestion of sardines and pilchards and I read that there is a algi based source of Omega-3 that canines can process better than fish but its bloody expensive.

I am looking for virgin organic coconut oil which loads of doggy health sites recommend especially for dogs with cancer as it helps their systems absorb and use vitamins better (don't know if its true but lots of people seem to swear by it)

I would feel much happier that all that could be done was being done if Harv had more up to date blood work. At least the bloods would be able to rule out certain things (or rule them in)

Thanks for understanding, I really appreciate it and its all a big help.
KennyUK
Dogsey Senior
Male 

19-03-2015, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Hi Harvey! I wish I could have received the lick personally from him!

I don't care what you say, you are amazing and although I do not know you you make me feel very warm inside that I have "met" such a fine person. Your love and companionship of Harvey will do far far more for him than any pill or potion. You need to look after YOU as well, get plenty of sleep and fresh air with Harvey if the weather is fine and he can manage to go out. As always big hugs to you both xx
Hi Gnasher

Your very kind, thank you.

He seems not so keen to go outside today and he is defo getting slow and lethargic - so sad and upsetting to see,

He is getting lots of hugs and kisses
Popster
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-03-2015, 05:00 PM
Kenny I'm glad you have had a 're-think about the supplements especially if they will be coming from abroad. I've seen programmes about getting any kind of pills anywhere online and the warning and risks. And the fact they might be fake. It sounds like you are looking after Harvey's diet just fine. I do hope you are looking after your diet fine too! Let us know when you have spoken to this new vet of yours.
KennyUK
Dogsey Senior
Male 

19-03-2015, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by Popster View Post
Kenny I'm glad you have had a 're-think about the supplements especially if they will be coming from abroad. I've seen programmes about getting any kind of pills anywhere online and the warning and risks. And the fact they might be fake. It sounds like you are looking after Harvey's diet just fine. I do hope you are looking after your diet fine too! Let us know when you have spoken to this new vet of yours.
Thanks Popster

I guess I was just looking at every angle (a touch of rose tinted glasses maybe).

Just going to type an update now as had to rush Harv over to the new vet and I have just settled the poor lad.
KennyUK
Dogsey Senior
Male 

19-03-2015, 08:06 PM
damit - can you believe I had a post all typed out and Harvey just out of the blue barked at someone outside, which made me jump, the laptop flew off my lap onto the floor and froze.

Gotta retype it all now
KennyUK
Dogsey Senior
Male 

19-03-2015, 08:34 PM
Okay, gonna try and make this shorter than before because I rambled a bit.

Harvey seemed more off colour today, ate his breakfast but didn't want to go for a walk.

Very lethargic and actually seemed down - he is always happy but today was very different.

Spent the day in his bed and we did go out into the garden for a walk around and so he could pee but was only a few moments each time.

About 2pm-ish he seemed to try and stand but his back legs almost (but not quite) gave way. You could see the upset and confusion in the poor lads face. so lots of love and praise.

He seemed to recover and asked to go out so into the garden we went. As we came back in he seemed to stumble and kinda went sideways crab style for a few steps but he caught himself and needed no help.

Back inside he got into his bed and feel asleep.

While he was sleeping I was able to pop online and reply to you guys on here.

Normally Harvey is asking for his dinner by 4pm sharp and he normally gets so excited. Today by 4.30 he had still not moved so I gently woke him and asked if he wanted his tea. Sounds daft but its a thing we have, I say "do you want your tea?" and he is skipping about and sometimes barks.

Today when I said it he tried to stand but struggled and seemed distressed. I gently helped him up and he had a weird tremor.

It kind of washed over him like a wave, so freaky to see but it started at his nose and traveled the whole length of his body and when it got to his back legs he stumbled.

He got across the front room floor and partly in the kitchen when he stumbled again, this time I was ready and caught him. He went over and stood in front of his food bowl so I thought I'd feed him.

He was wagging his tale as I prepared his tea and when I put it down he was eating it but NOT woofing it down, was picking each bit of kibble up and chewing it separately as if he had a bad tooth or something.

I left him to it as I didn't want him to feel conscious I was watching him. After about 3 or 4 minutes I couldn't hear him crunching so I went back into the kitchen and he was just standing there and his food bowl was about 3/4 untouched. He had picked the kibble out but left the fruit and veg.

When he saw me he came back into the front room and as he got to his bed he had another of the weird tremors. I could see he was bothered by this and he got himself into his bed but just sat on his haunches. I tried to be matter of fact which watching him out of the corner of my eye.

After about 2 or 3 mins, maybe more, he had another tremor, then another and he almost fell over. Of course I helped him up and gave him cuddles and he had another tremor.

Being scared stiff that he was having some kind of cluster I decided that he needed to be seen straight away by his new vet so I rang them and they said bring him straight over.

To break the post up so I am not rambling I will type up the vets part next.
KennyUK
Dogsey Senior
Male 

19-03-2015, 09:27 PM
I don't think he had any more tremors in the car going to vets and I kept checking on him in the mirror but I was also concentrating on driving.

Got to the vets (15min drive) and he was wobbly. He also jumped out of the car on his own before I could help him.

More or less went straight into exam room and net vet gave him a good going over checking temperature, heart, eyes and reactions.

He said he didn't think they were seizures as Harv was not presenting as a dog who had just had seizures and his temp and heart seemed fine which he would expect. He said normally fits cause temp to go up as well as heart rate.

He said it was certainly something neurological BUT he said that he did not think, at this stage, it would be correct to say Brain Tumour. He said that Harvs symptoms, although some could fit a Brain Tumour, could also be caused by a number of things that may well be treatable and a BT is the very last thing he would diagnose and only them once everything else had been ruled out first.

He did not criticize Harvs previous vet directly but he did say that he is concerned that a BT diagnosis has been made based on only one seizure and no recent or up to date blood work. He said Harveys last Bloods were done at the beginning of November and so much could have changed in the three months since that he could not understand why new blood were not done when I took him in after his seizure.

He was very clear to say he is not ruling out a BT, but he said in my experience (he is the practices most senior vet and partner) it is rarely a BT but something else that gets missed.

He also said that telling me Harv needed a MRI & CT Scan was plainly not the way to go as he would only suggest those once everything else had been ruled out first and he was fairly sure it was likely to be a BT.

He also said that he would NOT have put any dog straight on epilepsy meds based on a single fit as ep meds are long term and they all have side effects, once on them it's hard to wean them off without actually causing more fits. I could see he was annoyed about this on from the look on his face.

He said if Harv proves NOT to have epilepsy then we would look at a managed withdrawal over several months once his condition is sorted (providing it's not a BT) but we must run with the ep meds for now as he is on them.

The upshot was he was happy for Harv to come home with me tonight as he saw no reason to put Harv through an overnight stay when he didn't need one but he wants Harv back first thing in the morning for full blood tests. Kidney and liver functions, glucose levels, serums?, toxins, blood pressure and some other tech stuff that went over my head.

He has said Harv would be made sleepy but not fully out so that he did not get stressed by the tests and I therefore would have to leave there for certainly the morning if not the day as they want to monitor also.

I KNOW it has to be done and it what I want, a full workup, but it's going to be the first time Harvey and I have been apart since I had him 8 or 9 years ago. I mean apart as in I have to leave him somewhere that not back at home - if you get what I mean.

The poor lad will think I am deserting him and of course, I am scared witless something will happen to him while he is there and he won't come home....

So it's far too early to tell but its positive in as much as he is now with a vet who seems to want to do something and is far from ready to right my little boy off.

On the way home Harv was sick in the car, he never gets car sick but poor little lad could not help himself.

The vet said to give Harv his meds as normal in the morning and if Harv will eat a very light breakfast of cooked chicken or turkey and I could try him on some tonight if he will eat.

On the way home, as Harv was in the car anyway, I popped to the local shop and got some cooked chicken breasts and picked up some Sardines but they are in Sunflower Oil?

Got home, Harv was wobbly but seemed Okay and after a quick wonder around the area where I park the car he went into the house and straight over to his food bowl and ate a kibble or two.

I thought this was probably not a good idea so soon after a car journey and being sick so I removed his food bowl.

I made myself a chicken sandwich for dinner and while I was doing so Harvey was begging at the side of me for chicken (he loves it) so I offered him a little(50p size) and he woofed it.

I went in the front room had a cuppa and my sandwich and the whole time he was begging for chicken.

So as half an hour had passed I cut up a chicken breast, added a scattering of fresh sliced carrot, a few sprigs of broccoli and a mashed up sardine. He devoured the chicken and fish but left the veg.

Better that he has eaten something I suppose and he has been in his bed fast asleep ever since.

I'm really scared that he has gone off his food permanently as his body needs it's nutrients to fight and he has always been a 200% food focused dog so not wanting his tea IS a HUGE deal. From not eating to being at deaths door is only a short path for small animals as you guys know.

I am frazzled and worried sick (as if I wasn't before) but at least maybe this time tomorrow, I may or may not know a bit more about what's happening to my poor Harv.

I still ready for it to be a BT and if it is, I'd just like to know that everything else was ruled out first in case there was some medication that might have been able to help him.

You know, it's like just giving him the best chance that I can afford.
Popster
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-03-2015, 09:49 PM
Kenny, thanks for the updates. You are certainly doing all you can for Harvey. It is good he is getting his bloods done tomorrow. Harvey did eat the chicken and fish so that's good, he sounds a better fed dog than my Poppy!! I know you'll probably shake your head at this but try to get some sleep tonight at least some rest and then tomorrow you may start to get some answers although be prepared to wait a bit for the blood test results. Big X to Harvey.
susannah92
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-03-2015, 09:54 PM
Its good to hear how thorough your new vet is being in exploring all the possible causes of Harvey's recent problems. I am not a vet, but what he said makes such a lot of sense and its great that he is going to do a complete panel of blood tests tomorrow - that in itself may point to the root of the problem and then on to a solution, I know you are dreading being separated from Harvey, but it will be well worth it if the tests give results which lead to a clearer picture of what is wrong. Remember too that if Harvey is sedated for the tests he will not be so aware that you aren't with him and therefore hopefully he will not be too distressed. Just think of the welcome you will receive when you go to collect him afterwards
Remember too as Popster said you may not get results immediately, so be prepared to wait for these.
Good luck for tomorrow and do come back to tell us all how it went - we really care about you both xx
Page 9 of 62 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 59 > Last »