Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2012, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
lets not forget the dog does not discriminate who he bites either.... the first person that gets in the dogs way is the one that gets bitten, be that criminal, police or member of the public
Absolutely correct, that is why police dogs are not deployed indiscriminately.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2012, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Interesting you bring up police dogs. In the day of modern technology, are dogs trained in bite work really a necessity? I can understand using them as a tool of intimidation but I have to say I do not see the need to get them to bite people.

No I think it is better to use Tasers and guns.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2012, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I have watched a lot of those police programs that are always on TV and to be perfectly honest with you, some of those "well trained" bite trained dogs are under pretty poor control. One dog required about three police officers to pull it off biting a mans leg (who was already on the floor and had surrendered before the dog was sent). The dog was refusing to let go and the poor 'criminal' was left with horrible puncture wounds.

I guess it just seems a bit prehistoric in this day and age that we need to get dogs to attack people.
I absolutely agree some of those dogs are under pretty poor control, that is because the police only do a 12 week course and some of them are very poor handlers.

You are absolutely right.

It is a bit like at shoots or trials when gundogs go awol and chase hare or deer isn't it?
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-09-2012, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post

You are absolutely right.

It is a bit like at shoots or trials when gundogs go awol and chase hare or deer isn't it?

Without the casserole.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2012, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by Sosha View Post
Without the casserole.

Or the stove........
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-09-2012, 04:35 PM
If this man was involved in the UK Schutzhund scene would he still be welcomed to compete at events ??
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2012, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Well sadly we don`t always get what we like, and we don`t all have to agree with your point of view, you are unlikely to get what you want.

Unfair or not, its my prerogative to voice what I see , and what I see is this particular sport seems to attract a "type" , more than others do....
All dog sports seem to attract 'types'.

LOL

rune
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-09-2012, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
All dog sports seem to attract 'types'.

LOL

rune
True, some more dangerous than others
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2012, 05:13 PM
The joys of Dogsey to go onto a witch hunt

While this particular sport holds no interest for me it is just daft for everyone to be up in arms against it saying the dogs will suddenly be biting anyone

Well trained dogs dont tend to go self employed
Trained sheepdog dont work sheep by themselves
my dogs can walks past all sorts of fences without feeling the need to jump them
Infact my dogs are trained with treats - and I can leave their reward on the floor and they will leave it till they have earnt it and I tell them to get it
Plenty of people at agility teach with a tuggy toy that they leave at the end of a run - a well trained dog wont shortcut off the course and get the tug - they wait till they are told they have earnt it
So it is not automatically the case that a dog trained to bite sleeves on command (and release on command) will be grabbing all arms it sees

as for whether the police dogs should be doing that on criminals
Well if we feel the need to use dogs in that manner then I have no problems knowing that they can and will grip when told to
If the bad guys knew the dogs could just bark but nothing more then the dogs would be innefective at best - or at worst in danger from the people
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-09-2012, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
The joys of Dogsey to go onto a witch hunt

While this particular sport holds no interest for me it is just daft for everyone to be up in arms against it saying the dogs will suddenly be biting anyone

Well trained dogs dont tend to go self employed
Trained sheepdog dont work sheep by themselves
my dogs can walks past all sorts of fences without feeling the need to jump them
Infact my dogs are trained with treats - and I can leave their reward on the floor and they will leave it till they have earnt it and I tell them to get it
Plenty of people at agility teach with a tuggy toy that they leave at the end of a run - a well trained dog wont shortcut off the course and get the tug - they wait till they are told they have earnt it
So it is not automatically the case that a dog trained to bite sleeves on command (and release on command) will be grabbing all arms it sees

as for whether the police dogs should be doing that on criminals
Well if we feel the need to use dogs in that manner then I have no problems knowing that they can and will grip when told to
If the bad guys knew the dogs could just bark but nothing more then the dogs would be innefective at best - or at worst in danger from the people
Who said otherwise

The question was asked, why would you want your dog to bite a sleeve that is attached to an arm !
Page 7 of 20 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »