View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2011, 05:49 PM
The location doesnt bother me Leisl, I can control mine or they go on a lead but I was just thinking about other people who might have a problem and perhaps dont know Chatsworth that well. I know Aimee wants to come along and I warned her and that got me thinking about other dogs...!
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2011, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
I know exactly where you mean AmoAngelus - it called Linacre Woods and Reservoir. It's an excellent place for walking dogs and is probably better than Chatsworth because dogs don't have to be kept on the lead. I know the area very well and you can go for miles and miles and there are three reservoirs. My dogs used to swim there regularly. There are several ways into Linacre and you can start at Holmebrook Valley Park or further up, depending on how far you want to go.
I would love to go with you all, but my pup is not old enough to go that far yet - she is only 15 weeks old.
Wow, sounds like an excellent place. I think a place with water needs to be a consideration at this time of year.
Get a little handbag for your pup, i've seen them in PAH!
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2011, 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
I know exactly where you mean AmoAngelus - it called Linacre Woods and Reservoir. It's an excellent place for walking dogs and is probably better than Chatsworth because dogs don't have to be kept on the lead. I know the area very well and you can go for miles and miles and there are three reservoirs. My dogs used to swim there regularly. There are several ways into Linacre and you can start at Holmebrook Valley Park or further up, depending on how far you want to go.
I would love to go with you all, but my pup is not old enough to go that far yet - she is only 15 weeks old.
Sounds like a fab place for a walk. Can you not carry your pup? My 3 little ones won't walk far anyway, so you won't be left behind anyway

Anyone else up for meeting here??
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-07-2011, 07:24 PM
I think I would need a sack or a trolley rather than a handbag, Leanne and Pilgrim. Last week Bonnie weighed in at 14Kgs (over 29lb in old money). I can't wait to get her up there though; it really is a great place and you can easily spend the whole day there. My OH was there last week and he says the reservoirs are very low at the moment. If you Google (Linacre Reservoir) and go onto the panoramic earth 360 degree virtual tour you can see the middle reservoir and thats only a bit of this beautiful area.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2011, 02:31 PM
Count me in at the place in Chesterfield!

Aerolor are there any roads near by or livestock?
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2011, 04:51 PM
Had a look and it is beautiful!

So we have agreed a place now we just need a time!! We are easy and it is only 25 mins away, so whenever suits us
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-08-2011, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Count me in at the place in Chesterfield!

Aerolor are there any roads near by or livestock?
You can get into Linacre various ways and it depends how far you want to walk really.

No livestock to be careful of once you are in there, but surrounding land is farming land and there may be sheep and cattle in the fields, but once you are in Linacre there is nothing to worry about at all, except the top reservoir has a bird sanctuary. Middle and bottom reservoirs are fine and there is tons to go at without bothering with the top one.

To get there you need to be roughly North West of Chesterfield about 4 miles out - on Newbold Road for the Cutthorpe entrance or Ashgate Road for the Old Brampton way in.

If you are all getting there by car you can get in at either (Old Brampton) Ashgate Road or Cutthorpe Road, but Cutthorpe is probably easier if you don't know the area.

There is a good car park at the Cutthorpe end and you can then drop down to the reservoirs.
Follow the road through Cutthorpe village until you come to The Gate Inn and then there is a signpost to Linacre and it is a left hand turn along a narrow road (with passing points) which takes you straight into the car park, which is free.

If you want a really long walk you can go in at the top end of Holmebrook Valley Park (and then onto Linacre) on Newbold Road (again there is a good car park) but it is a fair walk from there until you get into Linacre proper. You can also get into Holmebrook Valley Park and then Linacre on the bottom Ashgate Road way and again there is a car park off Linacre Road. It is a long way into Linacre from there, but it all off road and the dogs can be off lead.
I think you will only be able to do a very small part of it first time and I think there are some maps to download which will help orientate you.

Another good way in is again on the Cutthorpe Road, but not so far up. Once just through Cutthorpe village you will see a pub on the right hand side - The Peacock and I think you can still park in their carpark and cut across the field and get straight into Linacre, but a bit lower down.

I am not very good at explaining, but if you get a map you will be fine. Take sandwiches and drinks as there is nowhere to get anything to eat if you stay a while.

I hope you and the dogs enjoy it.
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-08-2011, 08:09 PM
Not sure how well the greyhound will cope with a long walk thinking about it (still trying to build up some fitness in her but haven't had her long and struggling to get weight on her so she doesn't look like a bag of bones so don't want to push her too far).
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2011, 08:34 PM
If we are looking at the 13th, it will be before Flynn's had his check up regarding his cruciate so he probably wont be coming along, depends how well he's doing on it.

This place sounds lovely, will have to check it out myself, i'm always up for somewhere new to take the dogs. Might treat myself to a birthday walk this weekend and do a reccy!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 08:09 AM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
If we are looking at the 13th, it will be before Flynn's had his check up regarding his cruciate so he probably wont be coming along, depends how well he's doing on it.

This place sounds lovely, will have to check it out myself, i'm always up for somewhere new to take the dogs. Might treat myself to a birthday walk this weekend and do a reccy!
You're not allowed a birthday yet - I haven't sorted your present out!

Aerolor I only asked about roads because my young'un will shoot off after smells so it can be dangerous for me but if there is none he can get into trouble with then it's all fine, same with the livestock

The bird sanctuary may be a problem however - but Louie hasn't bothered much with birds lately except chasing them into the water or off the ground (normally when I don't catch the chase before it happens) "just keeping them on their toes" as an old man who saw the above said to me And besides I can always put him on a lead...

Sounds like a fantastic place though!

Aerolor are you not joining us? Your pup could walk for so long, then be carried - you could borrow a pram from someone
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »