View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-02-2011, 10:56 AM
great news! must be something about last thursday as it was the last day lola had an episode not had one since!!
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-03-2011, 03:57 PM
What a rollercoaster ride we are having....

|Yesterday was was both a good day and a challenging day.

Mirk went back to the vets. The random weeing, even in his sleep, had been halted within 24hrs by the anti testosterone chemical and I thought that the enlargement was due to the onslaught of testosterone and the chemical had ceased that.

I had been thinking that we had finally cracked it and Mirk was going to be well again. ....

Mirk, in the meantime, hadn’t been worrying about his prostate at all. He was happier and better! Much, much happier since the last vet visit, 11 days ago.

He stood today whilst my vet examined him, and put her finger up his bum. The whole time he had this calm accepting look on his face.

“Hell”, he probably thinks, “other people have to pay for this!” And inside maybe he was smiling. Who knows. I like to think so. For any other thought hurts to have.

The look on my vets face though, soon began to take away my peace and inward smile.

Mirk still has a very enlarged prostate it seems. AS big as an orange.

Its got a bit maller on the chemicals, or other medical interventions, but we don’t know which one has affected him, or how, or when, but we do know it has affected him.

My vet still suspects a prostate tumour. And the only way to find out for sure what is going on is with a biopsy for Mirk. Which neither of us is willing to do.

Can I just say right here and now, just how important I think it is, to have a great vet.

A great vet can save your dogs life (sometimes more than once in a lifetime).
THAT is worth remembering. A great vet is very very important to your dogs life. And your own.

This vet is the best I have ever known. And Ive known a lot!

Big thank you to my vet!

Anyway. So Mirks Prostate or prostate whichever it is, Mirks “challenge” I will call it from now, is still much bigger than it should be.

Finding out what Mirks challenge actually is and therefore some knowledge of how long Mirk might be with us all, a biopsy, would only help me and all those others that care for him. It wouldn’t help Mirk, for the treatment would be the same.

Pain relief, if there is pain (which it seems there was), anti testosterone injections, if that continues to help, full castration is not an option. That is the way forward. And learning to live with the unknown.

So, All in all a kind of mixed day.

But not really. Not mixed at all for Mirk. Because Mirk is still better than he was 12 days ago. And he seemed pretty happy back then! So Its not all doom and gloom at all. Mirk is on the UP!

And once again, as living with something or someone you love does make you have a habit of doing…….I have remembered just how important life is, again.

We all know that. But sometimes we forget it! And Mirk keeps reminding us all. Bless him. Again.

Mirk is enjoying every minute of his life. We all should try to do that. For it may be our last.

Can I just say how good it is to have a place to “unload”. Even if no one listens, its great to get it all out. Thank you everyone.

Night night all from Mirk, who is currently panned out by side. ANd thank you for listening and for caring. X
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 04:02 PM
Hugs to you and Mirk x x
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 04:05 PM
So glad Mirk is having some good days....hugs to you all xxx
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 04:11 PM
I fostered an old GSD girl who had mammary cancer. She and I had a wonderful year. Then she passed on, in my arms. I shall never regret that year. You forget the bad times, but the memory of the gentle contentment of a loved old dog stays with you.
hugs to you and your boy.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 04:25 PM
Thinking of Mirk and all of you x
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 04:25 PM
I think you are absolutely making the right decision in not having the biopsy. Mirk is happy for now and that's great. What will be will be. Knowing the 'whens' is irrelevant when it's inevitable as it bites into valuable time that should be spent enjoying life to the full.

Good luck, Mirk and enjoy your days. Everyday is for living not for wondering what, when, why and where.
Greyhoundlover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-03-2011, 04:40 PM
So glad Mirk is feeling a bit better

Enjoy each and every day, and well done for taking such care of him. x
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 04:47 PM
I totally agree with you and as long as Mirk is happy and pain free that is the main thing. May you have some lovely hazy crazy summer days.

Lots of hugs and kisses for Mirk
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 07:29 PM
It certainly is a rollercoaster ride!

You have said it so succinctly yourself - Mirk is happy, he isn't worried about how much time he might have left. He is the happiest I am sure he has been in a long, long time. Every day with him is precious and I know you will savour every moment.

Big hugs to the lovely Mirk, and one for you too
Page 7 of 15 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »