Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2010, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
I think that's very much the case tbh. As much as you can comment on your own experiences, it doesn't automatically make every one else's relevant to yours. When you can't exercise a dog very much and it steals food to the point where it eats more than it needs to then it's never going to lose weight. Aside from chaining the dog up, keeping it in a crate or muzzling it when out on the small walks it gets then you just have to make the best of a bad job. Woody was never obese, but he was heavier than I would've liked him to be. That said he certainly didn't suffer and made it to the age of 12. Considering he had quite bad arthritis from the age of 7 I'd say we were successful keeping his weight within healthy limits.
Well said.

There is world of difference between an obese dog (which is cruelty as far as I'm concerned) and a dog carrying an extra couple of kilos. Every dog has a different metabolism and character (dogs that eat anything, fussy eaters, nervous and highly strung dogs, etc.) which obviously contributes to how difficult or easy it is to gain or lose weight. Same as some people can eat absolutely anything and everything and remain stick thin, while others can look at a mince pie and put on weight.

There is NO excuse for an obese dog, but it can be difficult to control a dog carrying a little extra when you have the metabolism, age and character of the dog working against you.

Originally Posted by Tarimoor View Post
Forgive me for quoting you again, but, and this is an honest "but", as it's something I see regularly posted and can't understand; if you have a dog that steals food, how does it continue to do it time after time? Surely you learn and either keep food out of it's reach, or in a lockable container, or keep the dog out of that room, etc? I know they can steal food when out on a walk, and I used to regularly bump into a lady who had to muzzle one of her English Setters as it used to make itself ill eating all sorts of rubbish. When mine were house dogs, I never left anything on the sides or within reach that I knew they could get to, as I knew they would eat it or just chew it if it wasn't edible. So it always, genuinely puzzles me, when I see posts about persistent food thiefs??
You can't control the actions of other people. I'm religious about moving everything edible but I can't say the same for my family unfortunately.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2010, 10:23 PM
Murphy is a scavenger... he will eat ANYTHING... and he will eat it regardless of whether he has just eaten his actual meal or not.

The more we tried to 'diet' him, the more he tried to scavenge.

One evening, I went to put our dinner on the table (the dogs had just finished eating); and had left the kitchen for about a minute. As I walked back in, Murphy was stood up at the hob - which was still red hot - licking boiling hot oil from a red hot roasting dish that was on the hob top

He has tried to steal food from under the grill and from pans that are boiling on the hob before, when I've been less than 3ft away.

If he is on the right 'rations' he is fine, but as soon as we start to decrease them, even by tiny amounts, he will try and eat everything he sees. What I'm more worried about is the burns and scalds he could end up with when he tries to steal food.

Luckily, Max isn't like this, as that could be worse - he is able to open the breadbin, microwave and fridge....
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-11-2010, 08:55 AM
Posting and dashing, a ton of work to do, but ripsnorter, the lady with the setters HAD to muzzle her dog for it's own safety, it had IBD and made itself ill eating rubbish. Is it cruel to muzzle a dog to stop it from eating even more, and therefore allowing it to carry extra weight? Particularly on an older dog whose joints are going to be that bit more arthritic and creaky?? I don't know, haven't had to make that decision, but I'd lean towards wanting to keep the dog at the right weight, so if it did NEED (and I stress the word need) to lose weight, then I'd have no problem using something like a basket muzzle to try and prevent it eating rubbish.

Labradork, perhaps you need to clicker train your family? I know when I go to my parent's house, my two get treats all day, so they just don't get any tea, or less tea than they would normally get. They have my mother so well trained, all they do is sit by the fridge and wait for her to feed them
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2010, 09:01 AM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
Murphy is a scavenger... he will eat ANYTHING... and he will eat it regardless of whether he has just eaten his actual meal or not.

The more we tried to 'diet' him, the more he tried to scavenge.

One evening, I went to put our dinner on the table (the dogs had just finished eating); and had left the kitchen for about a minute. As I walked back in, Murphy was stood up at the hob - which was still red hot - licking boiling hot oil from a red hot roasting dish that was on the hob top

He has tried to steal food from under the grill and from pans that are boiling on the hob before, when I've been less than 3ft away.

If he is on the right 'rations' he is fine, but as soon as we start to decrease them, even by tiny amounts, he will try and eat everything he sees. What I'm more worried about is the burns and scalds he could end up with when he tries to steal food.

Luckily, Max isn't like this, as that could be worse - he is able to open the breadbin, microwave and fridge....
Not an excuse for having an overweight dog! I think I would invest in a safety gate for the kitchen door!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2010, 09:12 AM
Posting and dashing, a ton of work to do, but ripsnorter, the lady with the setters HAD to muzzle her dog for it's own safety, it had IBD and made itself ill eating rubbish. Is it cruel to muzzle a dog to stop it from eating even more, and therefore allowing it to carry extra weight? Particularly on an older dog whose joints are going to be that bit more arthritic and creaky?? I don't know, haven't had to make that decision, but I'd lean towards wanting to keep the dog at the right weight, so if it did NEED (and I stress the word need) to lose weight, then I'd have no problem using something like a basket muzzle to try and prevent it eating rubbish.

I used to use a Basket Muzzle with Trip - her previous owners had always forced taking things off her, so she did not even think about holding, she just swallowed...anything! Walking along any road was perilous. I initially used the Basket Muzzle as a safety, and trained her to carry a toy (which she now does every time we are out).

Labradork, perhaps you need to clicker train your family? I know when I go to my parent's house, my two get treats all day, so they just don't get any tea, or less tea than they would normally get. They have my mother so well trained, all they do is sit by the fridge and wait for her to feed them
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2010, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
Not an excuse for having an overweight dog! I think I would invest in a safety gate for the kitchen door!
But the dogs eat in the kitchen, and are put in there when we eat. There is a dog gate on that door already...

In the oil incident, I was gone from the kitchen for less than a minute, into the next room.

He had just finished eating his own dinner - should I muzzle him in the house after he's eaten?
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2010, 09:33 AM

I can only comment on my own dogs, no one else's. Same applies to you I think?

Would it have been cruel to stick a muzzle on a dog who had been muzzle free for 10 years? A dog was only ever a couple of kilos over weight? A dog who managed to get out and about right until the day he was PTS? Absolutely. Like Labradork said, there is a world of difference between a dog who is obese and a dog who is a couple of kilos overweight. We did the best we could for Woody all of his life, but a muzzle would've been a step too far. It wouldn't have stopped him from stealing food around the house either, or would you have the dog muzzled in the house too?!

And don't tell me I should "train" my family, I think they'd be quite offended if I started to try and clicker train them!
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-11-2010, 09:45 AM
I can only comment on my own dogs, no one else's. Same applies to you I think?

Would it have been cruel to stick a muzzle on a dog who had been muzzle free for 10 years? A dog was only ever a couple of kilos over weight? A dog who managed to get out and about right until the day he was PTS? Absolutely. Like Labradork said, there is a world of difference between a dog who is obese and a dog who is a couple of kilos overweight. We did the best we could for Woody all of his life, but a muzzle would've been a step too far. It wouldn't have stopped him from stealing food around the house either, or would you have the dog muzzled in the house too?!

And don't tell me I should "train" my family, I think they'd be quite offended if I started to try and clicker train them!
That's why I qualified my response with the capitalised 'NEED' and I don't think I've specifically comment on another person's dog, just queried situations about scavenging and stealing I also said I don't think you can say a dog is obese because it's 'X' weight and according to the chart at the vet it says it should be 'Y' weight. Each dog is individual, and, as I said in my first post I think there is an ideal 'range', not a specific weight for a dog.

But what if your dog had been five or six kg's overweight, and struggled to exercise becuase of poor joints? Different situation may call for different measures. I'm lucky with Chloe (collie x Lab) that she wasn't one for eating everything she found on a walk, but if she had been a scavenger, I would have considered muzzling her for her own good as she definitely NEEDED to lose weight, and once she had, she was much more mobile. She wouldn't have had a retrospective view and a grudge against me because she'd never worn a basket muzzle, she would just have got on with her walks with a muzzle on.

As for training families, I gave up long ago, and I'm sure mine did with me as well. Hence why the girls don't often get tea after a visit to the parents
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2010, 09:53 AM
That's why I qualified my response with the capitalised 'NEED' and I don't think I've specifically comment on another person's dog, just queried situations about scavenging and stealing I also said I don't think you can say a dog is obese because it's 'X' weight and according to the chart at the vet it says it should be 'Y' weight. Each dog is individual, and, as I said in my first post I think there is an ideal 'range', not a specific weight for a dog.

But what if your dog had been five or six kg's overweight, and struggled to exercise becuase of poor joints? Different situation may call for different measures. I'm lucky with Chloe (collie x Lab) that she wasn't one for eating everything she found on a walk, but if she had been a scavenger, I would have considered muzzling her for her own good as she definitely NEEDED to lose weight, and once she had, she was much more mobile. She wouldn't have had a retrospective view and a grudge against me because she'd never worn a basket muzzle, she would just have got on with her walks with a muzzle on.

As for training families, I gave up long ago, and I'm sure mine did with me as well. Hence why the girls don't often get tea after a visit to the parents
I'm glad you know this, anthropomorphising dogs is never a good thing!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2010, 10:12 AM
You'd be surprised. I lived out in the country until recently and one day Isla disappeared into a hedge. I thought "oh there must be a pheasant in there....". She came out with half a pork pie! Thankfully I managed to get most of it off her, but sadly people do throw a lot of things out of car windows which is where most of the food comes from I think.
But if you know they have just had half a pork pie you just can feed less that night to compensate

I lived with my parents who were very absent minded.

I'm also not going to muzzle a dog for the sake of it being a couple of kilos over weight at the age of 10, 11, 12 years old. That would be quite cruel really imo.
But we are talking about obseity, not a couple of lbs (although that may well be a lot on toy sized dogs...I think possibly shortening their lifespan when you can do something about it is cruel

My point is - not everything is black and white. Just because you find it easy to keep your dogs at a perfect weight, doesn't necessarily mean it's easy for others. Some dogs are never going to be "slim", especially when they're elderly, arthritic, kleptomaniac Labradors!
I agree, no-one says its easy but it is not the most difficult thing to manage either IMO but I dont think people have a problem with dogs being a bit chubby, they are all different after all, but obesity is a health problem and something I personally dont like to see a dog hobbling along puffing and panting, stiff etc due or exhasperbated (sp?) by obestity that owners can do something about.
Page 7 of 14 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »