Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2010, 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by cintvelt View Post
When I was a child we had a huge GSD and a pretty ferocious little terrier (who was my baby, and was only ferocious to non-family members.... ) We lived in South Africa, somewhat in the middle of nowhere... our GSD saved my life on quite a few occasions by gently dragging me away from dangerous snakes I had not seen.... this was all between the ages of 3 and 9.... the dogs were my best friends and as long as both the dogs and the children are trained as to how to deal with each other, and as long as there is good supervision when the children are too small to understand the dog.... children and dogs are wonderful together and teach each other a lot.
my friend told me that in SA all his friends has Rhodesian Ridgebacks and Jack Russells. He said the terriers alerted the bigger dogs to any dangers around...
KarenMc
New Member!
Female 

10-04-2010, 12:51 PM
Hi

I actually feel quite sorry for the people that have decided that kids and dogs don't mix - they are missing out on a wonderful aspect of life. But I guess their feelings and opinions are borne out of being scared of the unknown, and unfortunately the media stories always focus on the minority events that happen in life, things that are everyday are not as well reported on as they aren't sensational enough.

Some people don't want to know about the truth of some things, it's not their thing which to me is fine and should be respected; however unfortunately even though they do not wish to be educated about something they are quite happy to form an opinion on it - I wish they wouldn't but hey I guess that's general human nature.

I think kids and dogs are great together! Life is full of good relationships and bad ones but each is individual!

Karen
montysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-04-2010, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
I have just got into a huge debate on a mums forum as there are some people who seem to find the idea of having a dog and a child as completely selfish and irresponsible.

I posted these pictures and have literally been attacked by a mum who has declared that I am stupid, irresponsible and selfish to have a dog with my child ( albeit she is breedist as she is saying its because he is a staffie and thus a danger to my child)

So honest opinions please- are they really so wrong, or are people missing out on the joy of kids and dogs, or am i dillusional, and my dog is really basically going to attack my child at any minute !!

Obviously you all know what i think really, but I really struggle that people find these photos so abhorrent.

opinions please??
I think it's nonsense to suggest that kids and dogs don't go together - there is nothing so satisfying as seeing a child playing with the family pet, it gives boths such a huge amount of enjoyment.

As a personal choice I would not have a baby and a dog lying together as in your first couple of photo's though.

I know when I had babies in the house I would not let my dog - who I trusted implicitly not to deliberately do any harm to the infant - lie with them like this. It only takes an second, something to make the dog jump up suddenly etc, and the babe could get scratched or hurt in some way.

maybe that is me being overcautious though, but it is just how I felt when they were little. Once they got bigger though, my old dog would be used as a pillow, and child and dog would lie on the floor together watching the telly
cintvelt
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-04-2010, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
my friend told me that in SA all his friends has Rhodesian Ridgebacks and Jack Russells. He said the terriers alerted the bigger dogs to any dangers around...
Very true!!!! And I'm living proof that these combinations work!!! The terriers alert the big dogs, and the big dogs take action to save their "flock"... in this case.. me!

Now I have two children of my own, and Tess who is now 7 and a half months... and she is absolutely their best friend. I always take Tess along when I take them to school, and when I go back to pick them up... and needless to say the often forget to say Bye and Hi to me because they're too busy saying Bye and Hi to Tess! Really really sweet.... and of course there's never a dull moment at home either
dreamaday
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-04-2010, 10:58 AM
I cant believe how narrow minded some people can be!

Well I best start stealing myself for the comments, as we are now trying for our first baby and have had Jas the dappy dog for 3 months!
Hopefully we will have had him a little over a year, he will be past the adolescent stage and be pretty well trained and a bit more grown up by then (assuming all goes well on thr pregnancy front!)

I grew up with rescued GSD's, the first arrived when I was 5, they were the best dogs anyone could wish for and were so protective of us, the first one did not like it if my brother, sister or I got told off for being naughty!!

The thought of getting rid of a dog when having a family never even entered my head, the dog is part of the family!

My friend has an 18month old staffy and 2 kids aged 5 and 6, they adore Roxy to bits and are very good with her, her kids also love to come and see Jasper.
I was wary at first as he was rescued so dont know his history, he can be very boisterous but is great with them, he has met a handful of young kids and seems fine, each time is always carefully supervised.

I had to tell one very young girl not to stare in his face whilst we in a shop some weeks back, all she wanted to do was give him a huge cuddle, her mum was fine with her fussing him as they had a dog themselves, I was surprised she let her stare at him and try to cuddle him though, I had just told her we had only had a him a few weks and didnt know what he was like with kids I wasnt happy with Jas being put in that situation so moved him away and told the little girl she must'nt stare at dogs faces.

I may or may not do some of the things that are advised for getting a dog used to a new baby, I personally dont think Jas would even notice if I pushed a pram or cuddled a doll but I will do everything I can to ensure baby and dog get along.
Ok we have only had him a short while, but he is here to stay and was here first. I cant wait to take baby and dog photos too the ones on here are great and remind me of our family photos.
I just love the thought of kids and dogs playing together and walking in the countryside together as a family.
I do feel sorry for kids that cant grow up with dogs, the really do enrich our lives.

I'm sure at some point I will find myself on a mums forum, forewarned is forearmed, lol, bring it on ........
Luchi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-04-2010, 02:31 PM
With Careful supervision, and common sense, dogs make the most amazing friends for children, teaching them so much.

Statistically and tragically more children are injured/killed by their parents then by dogs.

Whenever a dog is involved, the media is whipped into a frenzy, the reason for this is that it is still a relatively rare occurrence.

Nola
New Member!
Female 

16-04-2010, 08:45 AM
The only dogs that are dangerous to children are ones with bad owners. My parents got our first dog when I was 3 and we never had any problems. My parents got a Doberman, which many consider to be a "dangerous dog", when I was 8 and he has always been the sweetest thing to me. My nephew was born when I was 10 and Gange, the Doberman, used to guard him when he was sleeping
Page 15 of 15 « First < 5 12 13 14 15