Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 06:48 PM

Bear's humping issues

Basically, Bear has humping issues. He will really pester to the point of making most other dogs snap. He approaches dogs in a very dominant manner, the typical young cocky lad he is, they most often see this and straight away the majority of dogs seem to have a go at him before he even gets there. If he manages to greet them he humps and he seems to know what he is doing, perhaps he has been used before we got him, I don't know? He will really persist and pester the poor dogs 'til we have to put him back on a lead. Most people don't like him mixing with their dogs, he can be quite intimidating if you don't know him i do understand that, but he just wants to hump. There is a lady I know with too rescue rottie pups who he gets on with very well, he gets on famously with Star too, although he still persistently humps her, she has known him since she was 8 weeks old and she just ignores him or puts him in his place, he is gentle with her, always has been. In saying that he likes to play rough but so does she and he seems to know the limit if that makes sense? He has never hurt her even when she was tiny.

He doesn't get on with Charlie, Charlie will not tolerate the humping and Bear will always hump.

We are not really considering getting him neutered, we feel he needs to mature in body and mind before we'd even consdier this as an option. We have tried to work through this, he'll have been with us a year in August but we have ran out of willing participants and their dogs to help us and seem to have come to a standstill.

He only gets to go offlead when he has the field to himself, which is a shame. His recall is good when he is on his own but if there is another dog he is automatically deaf.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 06:50 PM
Also, he doesn't ever hump people or inanimate objects...
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Personally, if he was mine, I'd start with neutering, but you've already said you're not considering that.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

cant help at all, I still have a dog who humps ( people though) and he has been done and still does it.

good luck - is it just dogs he does it too?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 06:52 PM
Why can't he be neutered?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 06:54 PM
the little ******rrrr that he is,

what do you do when he humps another dog?
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
cant help at all, I still have a dog who humps ( people though) and he has been done and still does it.

good luck - is it just dogs he does it too?
Only ever dogs, either sex, but never people or cushions or anything like that.

Labradork, I believe I explained in my OP why he wasn't going to be neutered just now and I believe that I also stated how I didn't want to turn this into a neutering debate, I am fully aware that neutering is not a cure for humping and given the reason I have already stated, well, end of.

Exactly the reason I have refrained posting this thread for 9 months....
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
the little ******rrrr that he is,

what do you do when he humps another dog?
Totally depends on what the other dog does really, sometimes we have to put him back on the lead and remove him, sometimes he will listen to Bear, BEAR, BEARRRRRRR GERROFF, but then 5 minutes later...

The other poor dog is harassed and we thank the owner for letting us try but move on before he annoys them so much that they snap, you can tell when they have truly had enough, we don't let it get that far obviously...

With Star he often just humps himself out and she isn't fussed, they play wrestle too in between and we just let him as long as he isn't bothering her. Sometimes though even with Star he can aggravate her and he has to be told.

Thing is he is super friendly otherwise so it's just a shame really, you saw the pics of him playing with Star, totally soft as poop.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
nWith Star he often just humps himself out
bless what a big lump he sounds !!!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
Only ever dogs, either sex, but never people or cushions or anything like that.

Labradork, I believe I explained in my OP why he wasn't going to be neutered just now and I believe that I also stated how I didn't want to turn this into a neutering debate, I am fully aware that neutering is not a cure for humping and given the reason I have already stated, well, end of.

Exactly the reason I have refrained posting this thread for 9 months....
Believe me, I don't want to start that again. LOL

Is the dog in question a pup?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >