Our sister sites
Our sister sites
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2009, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by phil2009 View Post
Hi all

We hade a staffy once called Murphy we had him about 7months we got him from a rescue centre. He was grate for the first 6months no problems at all and he seemed happy and loved to play and be with me and the wife. But then one day we got up it was a normal day had breakfast then walk the dog with the wife but this is when it all changed while out on a walk with Murphy and he turned on Clare ( the wife) wasn’t provoked at all just the normal walk. He tried jumping for Clare’s face and bite her on the arm I stepped in and told him off know normally he nos he’s dun wrong but he didn’t he just tried to do it again and again and it didn’t seem to sink in that he’s doing wrong. Anyway we just thought he was just been a normal teenager and just wanted to play up. But it started to happened on every walk. Then one day when me mum came over for a brew we tuck him for a walk and he tried jumping at me mum. We tried every thing we could to stop him but it didn’t seem to work at all so we rang the rescue centre where we got him from and explained to them what’s happening asked if wed dun surton things give her the answers any way she said he’d have to be put to sleep witch we didn’t want at all so we tried another week to see if he would change bearing in mind this had gon on for 1 month already and nearly every day me or Clare ended up bitten. It didn’t work and he hade to go. They asked for me to take him to the vets and asked the to put him down I sead there’s no way I can do it I felt bad anuf making the call. So they tuck him for use .

Sorry Hope you didn’t mind me sharing the story.
Now just because if sead he was from a rescue centre I’m not saying that all dogs will be the same when you get them from a rescue centre.

I don’t think all dogs that bite just once should be P.T.S as they all dissever another chance.

phil

Sorry what does that bit mean ??
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2009, 03:04 PM
I expect the Rescue had the dog put down. Rescues can`t home on a known biter, so that`s their only option.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-03-2009, 03:05 PM
Originally Posted by inkliveeva View Post
Sorry what does that bit mean ??
I assume someone took the dog to be PTS for them!!
Harry21
Dogsey Junior
Male 

07-03-2009, 07:52 PM
Does anybody have any links for dog law/regulations?

I have wanted to know what would happen if my dog were to bite someone if they went for me, whilst walking the dog. Like in my defence?
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2009, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by Harry21 View Post

I have wanted to know what would happen if my dog were to bite someone if they went for me, whilst walking the dog. Like in my defence?
That would be an interesting point to find out about, I know when I'm out if sommit bad was to happen I'd rely on my best friend helping out
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2009, 06:45 PM
I dont believe it should be put down in all circumstances. If the dog was provoked and bit then the person got what they deserved. If however it was a savage attack rather than a single bite then I believe it's justfiable to put the dog down.

Flynn has snapped at my Dad several times but my Dad is a classic tormentor and has always wound the family dogs up. Flynn isnt known for his patience and can be a grump and I think my Dad has made a rod for his own back in this case. My dogs arent used to being tormented so my Dad gets what he deserves IMO.

They have never truly bitten though, just made their feelings known.
Harry21
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-03-2009, 09:05 PM
I've always thought it's one thing for a dog with behavior problems to bite, but what about a healthy trained dog, in defence of it's owner?
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-03-2009, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by Harry21 View Post

I'd be really interested to know the answer to this.
I do have a sneaking feeling that the law wouldn't be on your side if it happened in a public place. It could be your word against the person who tried to attack you and if they have bite marks on them......well we all know the law can be an a**. I suppose if there was a witness.......
Holly-Rosee
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-03-2009, 10:30 AM
i've had weimaraners for many years and have all been very different ,the only one that every bit anyone was the soppiest of them all anyone could walk in even if i was there and he would just great them i could trust him with any one in any situation ,then one day i was sitting on the sofa he was beside me stretched out asleep and the girl for next door came running in excited and threw herself down beside him,and he bit her. my frist thought was to have him pts then when the shock wore of a bit and i calmed down i took him to the vets and had him checked over,and on telling the vet the story he realized he had,nt heared her come in as he did,nt get up to greet her ,and she had been excited as she,d just come for the recue home and got jr so as she crash down beside him he must have thought he was being attack by a strange dog ,and as soon as he realised what he done he was cowering by her feet so i cept him and for the rest of his long life he was alway stupid soft henry so maybe you know in your heart what is the right think to do as another dog i had never bit anyone but it would,nt have surprize me if he did never trusted him100% so if it had been him it would have been a diffrent story
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-03-2009, 09:28 AM
i rescued a stray & although she loved the kids & a select few of their friends she would try to nip other children, we have had her for 14yrs now & have had to be very careful but im so glad we never rushed her off to the vets! shes been such a loyal,loving member of our family
Page 6 of 14 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »