Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2009, 07:51 AM

Agility Tip Style

Well Tip is coming out of his shell at agility and seems to be really enjoying himself now. But he has his own version of what the equipment is for:

Jumps
optional whether to go over them or just plough straight through them depending on whether he is actually looking where he's going.

Tunnel
initially for hiding in, now far more fun to jump over the top of.

A-frame (ours is a mini version - only about 5' high)
great vantage point to see what is going on. Contact points? phaaah - just leap straight at the top and then stay there, tail wagging.

Dog Walk(again mini version, only 2' off ground)
when in doubt about what piece of equipment to go to next, just do the dog walk, even if its on the other side of the circuit. Extra fun if, as soon as you've finished, you turn round and go back the way you've come.

weaves
invisible, to be ignored completely

Long jump
The markers are a perfect place for a pee break.

Tyre
Under is much more fun than through, even if you have to get on your belly and wriggle underneath.

I haven't laughed so much in ages, but didn't want to tell him off too much as he was having sooo much fun. In between all his clowing around, he did do some really good stuff too
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2009, 08:00 AM
Aww....at least he is enjopying it. He will learn the rules one day
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2009, 08:02 AM
Sounds like you both had loads of fun!!! The way it should be
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2009, 08:05 AM
Hali - this tickled me completely

Tip sounds like he might have a bit of Gordon Setter in him for sure as for several of those you could read replace Tips name with Connor's !!! Poor Jess works so hard with him - but he provides great amusement to everyone!

You might want to cover Tips ears on this one - as I will just add that Connor also finds the tunnel exit a great place for a toilet break - something we are having to work on as it doesn't go down well with the trainer peeing in the tunnel apparently

Oh and Max's thing is the sea-saw - having started to master it he now keeps diverting to it to demonstrate to everyone over and over again - look I got it guys!!! He gets a treat of course everytime and at one point just sat at the end waiting for me to get there for his reward

Bless our dogs - such fun hey

Someone told me you needed a good sense of humour with agility and have to say its so very true
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2009, 08:30 AM
brilliant - what a wonderful picture you put in my head this morning, he sounds like he enjoys it and thats what its all about !!!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2009, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Aww....at least he is enjopying it. He will learn the rules one day
I think the others will be a bit disappointed when he does - he had everyone in stitches

Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Sounds like you both had loads of fun!!! The way it should be
Thanks A. It is lovely to see that he's gained so much confidence. The first few times I tried doing it with him off lead, he just ran over to the wall and laid down. Now at least he is really enjoying himself, even if he isn't always doing what I want him to do.

Having said that, he did manage one almost completely clear round doing it in the order he was supposed to (just the weaves let him down)

Originally Posted by rachelsetters View Post
Hali - this tickled me completely

Tip sounds like he might have a bit of Gordon Setter in him for sure as for several of those you could read replace Tips name with Connor's !!! Poor Jess works so hard with him - but he provides great amusement to everyone!

You might want to cover Tips ears on this one - as I will just add that Connor also finds the tunnel exit a great place for a toilet break - something we are having to work on as it doesn't go down well with the trainer peeing in the tunnel apparently

Oh and Max's thing is the sea-saw - having started to master it he now keeps diverting to it to demonstrate to everyone over and over again - look I got it guys!!! He gets a treat of course everytime and at one point just sat at the end waiting for me to get there for his reward

Bless our dogs - such fun hey

Someone told me you needed a good sense of humour with agility and have to say its so very true
Connor and Tip do sound sooo similar. Although Tip managed to miss the up contacts on the A-frame, he is very good when he does decide to come down - and like Connor, just stops with his bum on the contact waiting expectently for his treat
(and as for the tunnel, yes, Tip's done that too. I think I'm going to have to go armed with some soapy water next week )

Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
brilliant - what a wonderful picture you put in my head this morning, he sounds like he enjoys it and thats what its all about !!!
Thanks Dani. Yes, he seems to be really enjoying it now. At one stage I decided to keep him on his lead to get started, but he evidently thinks I go to slow - he managed to slip his collar and was off over the first jump like a bullet
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2009, 10:58 AM
Haha I can picture Tip in my head doing all that fooling around It is lovely to hear, as he seems such a sensible dog a lot of the time. It shows how much he has come on since you took him in
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2009, 11:12 AM
Kismet is loving her agility.. next week we're going to try to do an actual course for the first time...

She has one or two problems though...

weaves... Just plow through... knock them flat if you can...

Chute... good place for a lie down

A frame - is supposed to jumped in one go right?

Dog walk - Is pointless, ignore it

See saw is the devil.. to be avoided at all costs

If confused, or not sure where to go... Just sit down and wait for a treat before continuing.

Or head into the chute and hide.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2009, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Haha I can picture Tip in my head doing all that fooling around It is lovely to hear, as he seems such a sensible dog a lot of the time. It shows how much he has come on since you took him in
Tip and sensible aren't two words that I would normally put together. Quiet/subdued sometimes yes, which I guess gives the impression of being sensible. but either way, he is definitely getting more cheeky - he even woo-woos me now if he wants some attention and isn't getting it!

Originally Posted by magpye View Post
Kismet is loving her agility.. next week we're going to try to do an actual course for the first time...

She has one or two problems though...

weaves... Just plow through... knock them flat if you can...

Chute... good place for a lie down

A frame - is supposed to jumped in one go right?

Dog walk - Is pointless, ignore it

See saw is the devil.. to be avoided at all costs

If confused, or not sure where to go... Just sit down and wait for a treat before continuing.

Or head into the chute and hide.
'the head into the chute and hide' was definitely Tip's trick to start off with, but he seems to be over that now and seems to be enjoying being where he can show off to people

As for the seesaw - he hasn't experienced that yet. Because Stumpy is so scared of the noise, the club don't use it very often and only at the end of a session (when I leave early with Stumpy so they can get it out).