Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2009, 06:49 PM

Does breeding affect temprement??

Hi everyone.
This is just a hypothetical question, I have no intention of breeding my dog but have always wondered about this so thought id ask.

I have a male entire BC whos 9 months, and up till now we have decided not to nueter him unless theres a problem.

Well my question is basically- if I were to breed him [hypothetically] when old enough would this cause a problem or change in his temprement? A case of 'he knows what hes missing' sort of thing?

If im honest- a friend of mine has asked to breed his puppy [pure BC] with my dog when they are both old enough. I said no because of this question, and the fact that my dog has a slight overshot jaw, which my friend said doesnt matter coz the pups would be pets not show dogs ....??? dont know how true that is anyway as iv never thought of breeding my dog, but these are a few questions I want put strait in my mind before I even consider it.

Any help, previous experience greatly appriciated x
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2009, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by kate_7590 View Post
Hi everyone.
This is just a hypothetical question, I have no intention of breeding my dog but have always wondered about this so thought id ask.

I have a male entire BC whos 9 months, and up till now we have decided not to nueter him unless theres a problem.

Well my question is basically- if I were to breed him [hypothetically] when old enough would this cause a problem or change in his temprement? A case of 'he knows what hes missing' sort of thing?

If im honest- a friend of mine has asked to breed his puppy [pure BC] with my dog when they are both old enough. I said no because of this question, and the fact that my dog has a slight overshot jaw, which my friend said doesnt matter coz the pups would be pets not show dogs ....??? dont know how true that is anyway as iv never thought of breeding my dog, but these are a few questions I want put strait in my mind before I even consider it.

Any help, previous experience greatly appriciated x
Firstly yes it can alter a dogs temperament & character, it can change a nice dog into a bitch seeking "stud"especially if you have no experience of handling a stud dog & from what it sounds like the bitch's owner has no experience of either breeding a litter or handling a stud dog & your dog isn't introduced to becoming a stud with care you will have problems afterwards

You then have to ask yourselves(as the dog & bitch owners)why you are breeding the litter, is it to improve the breed ? what have your dogs got to offer the breed in the way of being good examples. have you checked the pedigrees to ensure you are not breeding closely related dogs together.

Would you be breeding when they dogs are 12 months old ? Border Collies should not be bred from until after they are 2 years of age.

Have you between you the facilities to take back any/all the puppies that are sold & either keep them forever or rehome them ?

Are your dogs registered with the KC or ISDS ? Are you going to register the puppies ? if they are ISDS registered & you want to register them with the ISDS you both have to be members.

Are they from health tested parents(both DNA & Clinical)? Are they themselves DNA tested & are you willing to pay for the DNA & clinical tests when they are old enough ? Are you aware of all the tests you need to have done on your dogs ?

The ball park figure for having all the tests done is around £500 & that is per dog !

If the answer to any of the questions is no then you should not breed from your dogs at all.

I've had BC & GSD stud dogs & because we had had experience of breeding dogs before having stud dogs we trained our dogs correctly & they were of correct temperament & character so did not have any change in their behaviour.

I've spent £500 having the health tests done on my bitch only to find her hips are not good enough to be bred from, so I am now looking to buy another bitch & have my Jessie spayed & then I will have to start all over again with the health tests !