View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2009, 03:09 PM

I'm doooooomed! But I don't really care :-)

I had to wait a long, long time (40 years) before I was able to get a dog and I have to say I am really loving it! Pepper is a real character and has been a serious learning experience but I love her to pieces and now of course my 2 Affen boys.

I have really enjoyed taking Pepper to training classes and I love doing things with the dogs so Pepper and I have been doing agility, but despite a promising start (she's fast and confident) she is very easily distracted so I'm not sure we'll ever be able to progress beyond fun.

Seeing as I love spending time with other dog lovers talking about dogs (don't you find your non-doggy friend's eyes start to glaze over? ) I thought it would be fun to show my next dog. But despite his knowledgeable (and successful) breeder and an impressive pedigree Gozo is just too slight to make the grade.

No problem, that gave me an excuse to get Affen puppy number 2, enter the gorgeous Enzo, at 5 months he's shaping up nicely....but we only have one testicle and no sign yet of another!

Oh well, looks like I'm going to have to find another way to pursue my interest in dogs....any ideas?

J.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2009, 03:21 PM
Get a 4th dog?

only joking. Perhaps Gizmo/Enzo will take to agility once they're old enough (can you do agility with dogs that small?)
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2009, 03:23 PM
How about trying to get them PAT dog trained? This way you could combine your love of dogs with the love of talking about them AND helping other people feel a bit better?

Win - win situation?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2009, 03:26 PM
There is nothing stopping you still attending ringcraft classes as 'practice' if showing interests you. I know someone that did this with their Deerhound. The Deerhound wasn't up to standard for whatever reason but he still attended ringcraft with the dog. The dog enjoyed and he is now in the 'know' for when he gets his next dog, which he hopes to show!
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2009, 03:30 PM
Most handsome male?

;o)
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2009, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by Mother*ship View Post
I had to wait a long, long time (40 years) before I was able to get a dog and I have to say I am really loving it! Pepper is a real character and has been a serious learning experience but I love her to pieces and now of course my 2 Affen boys.

I have really enjoyed taking Pepper to training classes and I love doing things with the dogs so Pepper and I have been doing agility, but despite a promising start (she's fast and confident) she is very easily distracted so I'm not sure we'll ever be able to progress beyond fun.

Seeing as I love spending time with other dog lovers talking about dogs (don't you find your non-doggy friend's eyes start to glaze over? ) I thought it would be fun to show my next dog. But despite his knowledgeable (and successful) breeder and an impressive pedigree Gozo is just too slight to make the grade.

No problem, that gave me an excuse to get Affen puppy number 2, enter the gorgeous Enzo, at 5 months he's shaping up nicely....but we only have one testicle and no sign yet of another!

Oh well, looks like I'm going to have to find another way to pursue my interest in dogs....any ideas?

J.
Enzo may still get his other testicle - you never know! Otherwise, you could still have a go at showing Gozo, just for fun maybe?
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2009, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Get a 4th dog?

only joking. Perhaps Gizmo/Enzo will take to agility once they're old enough (can you do agility with dogs that small?)
A 4th dog is not completely out of the question, I'm working on getting the OH used to the idea! My daughter does agility with Gozo, Affens can be very good at it, but it's not really his thing, we'll definitely give it go with Enzo when he's bigger.

Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post
How about trying to get them PAT dog trained? This way you could combine your love of dogs with the love of talking about them AND helping other people feel a bit better?

Win - win situation?
I like the idea but I think Pepper is too bouncy and the boys aren't interested in people outside the family, a typical Affen thing.

Originally Posted by labradork View Post
There is nothing stopping you still attending ringcraft classes as 'practice' if showing interests you. I know someone that did this with their Deerhound. The Deerhound wasn't up to standard for whatever reason but he still attended ringcraft with the dog. The dog enjoyed and he is now in the 'know' for when he gets his next dog, which he hopes to show!
I think we may do this, as you say it's all good fun.

Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Most handsome male?

;o)
Absolutely!

Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
Enzo may still get his other testicle - you never know! Otherwise, you could still have a go at showing Gozo, just for fun maybe?
Still keeping our finger's crossed for Enzo's testicle and that Gozo is late maturing!

I knew you dog folks would understand my situation!!

J.