Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2009, 07:07 PM

Showing working breeds

Is it generally unheard of?

I must admit I naively assumed that today's fun dog show would be just that but it seemed very serious and almost as if the breed standard was being assessed (in which case we never stood a chance because there is no working springer stnd).

So, it got my husband and I wondering. What sort of things are the judges looking for? Did they want to see the handler perform just as well as the dog (I had no idea what I was doing and did more a hexagon that a triangle).

Woody was a dream and was so well behaved. He was focused on me the whole time and ran along by my side without hesitation. He also held the judges gaze perfectly, I just couldn't get the lazy sod to stand for very long (well it was 30+!!).

But, anyway do you tend to see working lines like springers, working cockers and collies (not one of them was placed today) do well at these kind of things? Is it worth us trying again and perhaps putting abit more effort into it? We had a great time so that's reason enough but I'm curious to know if we'll ever stand a fighting chance.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2009, 07:19 PM
you see them the gamekeeper rings at crufts, but they have to have worked a season to qualify, and i think (have never done it so don't knpw for sure) that they judge on a different criteria.

Fun dog shows are alwyas taken seriously for some its the only chance they get to show off their dogs
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2009, 07:26 PM
Yes Pidge, I show a working breed. Some are so far removed from what they should look like though it would be impossible! Works both ways too.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2009, 07:26 PM
What class(es) did you enter?

To me the fun classes are the 'waggiest tale', 'prettiest bitch', most handsome dog etc. These are completely subjective - your dog is not being judged against any standard.

If you know that Woody is not to the breed standard, don't enter the classes which he is judged against this.

Having one white border collie and one without a tale, I don't bother with the classes where they are judged against breed standard but still have a great day out and lots of fun in the other classes.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2009, 07:30 PM
But Hali, my point was that there is no breed standard for working springers, so technically should we not bother entering him in any ''best of'' classes even at fun shows?

He'll always be put in for most waggiest tail though. That was so much fun (pics now posted) and he loved it!
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2009, 07:32 PM
Dawn, yes true and there were some BTs there today. Have you successfully shown one of the dogs you successfully work? I'm curious. Today has got me really interested in the world of showing.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2009, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
But Hali, my point was that there is no breed standard for working springers, so technically should we not bother entering him in any ''best of'' classes even at fun shows?

He'll always be put in for most waggiest tail though. That was so much fun (pics now posted) and he loved it!
As far as I know, the 'best of' classes are judged against the kc breed standards. there is only one standard for springers and if Woody doesn't match this, I think it unlikely that you would do well with him, but that doesn't stop you entering.

Just don't get hung up about it - you love Woody the way he is. You didn't get him for showing. So why worry that he won't do well in these classes?
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2009, 07:38 PM
He is a Springer Spaniel so will be judged against their standard, lots of pet dogs do not do so well in these because their owners clip them rather than handstrip or tidy them up where really they should be left natural etc ... you didn't buy him as a show dog but as a best friend so the waggy tail classes etc are idea for him.

I never put my working lines collie in the "pedigree classes" because he is oversized, has a dreadful coat and a broken ear - but his forte is saddest eyes (maybe because he is sulking at not being in the pedigree classes LOL)

I work my Malamute and am starting with my Lab and because they conform far better to the breed standard than my collie does - although my interests actually lie in working not showing .... sometimes they do well, sometimes they don't - its all very subjective and depends what the judge likes .....
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2009, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
As far as I know, the 'best of' classes are judged against the kc breed standards. there is only one standard for springers and if Woody doesn't match this, I think it unlikely that you would do well with him, but that doesn't stop you entering.

Just don't get hung up about it - you love Woody the way he is. You didn't get him for showing. So why worry that he won't do well in these classes?
Oh no, don't get me wrong ( I wondered if it would come across like this), I'm not hung up on him not winning, after all we entered it for fun and had alot of fun. I mean come on, 5th out of 16 in waggiest tail!! Hehe ;o)

We were just wondering what the score is for breeds that don't meet standards in ''fun'' dog shows like this and wanted to hear if anyone had ever successfully shown a working dog. I guess as long as it meets standards then yes it is possible then.
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2009, 08:29 PM
But Hali, my point was that there is no breed standard for working springers,!

His breed is English Springer Spaniel - just most pet lines and working lines are very different to show dogs, but I believe many will still fit the standard - just not as flashy as show dogs - in which ways does he differ from breed standard.? Its not my breed so I have no idea at all
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >