register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Should bitches be walked during their season?
Yes they should be kept indoors for the whole of the season. 11 25.58%
No, they should be taken for walks on lead. 24 55.81%
They should be kept indoors from day 9 - 22. 8 18.60%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2008, 06:20 PM

walking a bitch in season.

I have just taken Tonks for her first walk in season and everything was fine.

I've just seen someone on another forum ranting and complaining saying that bitches should be confined to their house while in season because of the effect it has on entire males and the risk it puts on them if they run off trying to find the bitch.

I was really surprised to see that all of the people replying sympathised with her and said that bitches should be kept indoors during their season. One said that she walks hers on lead at the begining and end of her season but keeps her indoors from day 9 - 22!!

I can't imagine what Tonks would be like being kept indoors for that length of time! She is calm in the house, but i am sure that would not last if she was not even allowed into the garden during her season.

What are other people's views on this? Should bitches be walked during their season or not?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2008, 06:27 PM
I have voted for the first option, I have two bitches and two dogs, thats my choice, its hard going for the bitches, thats just one of the downsides of having them, Im lucky though I have a private estate that my friend owns which I can walk them on its only a few mins drive from me,
walking them where I live would cause problems not only for the resident dog owners but it can cause problems for the owner of the bitch also,,,, eg.......... a few males camped out on your door step battling away good guns over rights to the lovely girl that lives there,

I think if your going to walk them try to do it when there are less dogs around, spray them with bitch spray,, but most dogs can track them right back home,
good luck whatever you decide to do
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2008, 06:33 PM
That's interesting Shona.

I am going to buy some bitch spray but i was under the impression that dogs recognised the spray.

Keeping her in isn't an option really. She is only just 8 months and I think not having any exercise would be detrimental to her behaviour. I am planing to walk her in the forestry commision ground near us. It's good because people always drive to get there so you know when no one is in there because their aren't any cars in the car park.

Unfortunately we don't have access to any private ground to exercise her on and we only have a one bedroomed flat so there is no chance of her getting exercise in there.

She will be able to go into the garden with supervision but then her weeing in there will draw the attention of entire males. We have an entire dobe very near to us but he doesn't have a garden so is never out off lead. I might warn them in advance though!
catsta2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-09-2008, 06:37 PM
Jojo has just come out of her season. I took her out everyday on the lead. I took her where i knew we would not meet any dogs.
I did take her to the church where we normally go and her 'boyfriend' was there and she really was like a dog on heat. She went mental when she saw him, crying..loudly!
He tried it on, but i got in quick to scoop her up. Sweep's (boyfriends name) owner wasnt impressed lol, said he is a nightmare to walk at the moment as all he does is get her scent and look for her.
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2008, 06:49 PM
I personally would walk where dogs are likely to kept on a lead ie round the streets as opposed to off lead walks round the woods
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2008, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by catsta2001 View Post
Jojo has just come out of her season. I took her out everyday on the lead. I took her where i knew we would not meet any dogs.
I did take her to the church where we normally go and her 'boyfriend' was there and she really was like a dog on heat. She went mental when she saw him, crying..loudly!
He tried it on, but i got in quick to scoop her up. Sweep's (boyfriends name) owner wasnt impressed lol, said he is a nightmare to walk at the moment as all he does is get her scent and look for her.
yup it can be a nightmare for the owner of males, they will do anything to escape when a bitch is in season, they cry constantly, they go off there food,
they really go through the mill
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2008, 07:13 PM
I'm glad we will only be going through this once. If all had gone to plan she would have been spayed two weeks ago and we wouldn't have had to be going through it at all.

Best laid plans and all that !
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

11-09-2008, 07:19 PM
I personally think buying the bitch spray is a waste of money. I used it once and it was real alluring doggy perfume and I felt it just said to the boys "Come and Get me".

if you must take her out during her season I would make sure your carried her well away from your door and the same on the return journey else you will have the boys all camped out and waiting on your doorstep.

I did not vote on the poll, as I don't think this is something which is cut and dried.
catsta2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-09-2008, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
yup it can be a nightmare for the owner of males, they will do anything to escape when a bitch is in season, they cry constantly, they go off there food,
they really go through the mill
I felt for Hector and he just didnt know what to do. He was at her constantly. Luckily he has had the snip.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2008, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by lovezois View Post
I personally think buying the bitch spray is a waste of money. I used it once and it was real alluring doggy perfume and I felt it just said to the boys "Come and Get me".

if you must take her out during her season I would make sure your carried her well away from your door and the same on the return journey else you will have the boys all camped out and waiting on your doorstep.

I did not vote on the poll, as I don't think this is something which is cut and dried.
lol, funny my lads hate bitch spray, thats why I mentioned it, it seems to put them off a bit
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »