Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackalyn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-01-2012, 09:32 AM

Feeding skin and fur.

I did do a lot of reading up on feeding raw before I started doing it and reading loads on here especially but as I have been continuously reading I am starting to get a little worried due to the fact that i don't ever feed then fur or skin except for the skin that is on shop bought chickens.

Are they missing out on vital nutrients by not getting enough of this. I buy from suppliers so not sure if some fur is ground up in the mince meats. I know I couldn't face feeding a whole animal to my dogs, not sure if they would be impressed anyway and have no idea where I would obtain one from anyway.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2012, 09:47 AM
Fur is just keratin, inert protein which provides no nutrition to the dog. It does however provide a source of fibre and protection from bones. Fibre can be provided by vegetables and of course bone.

Skin is a source of fats which can be provided by fatty meats, fish, added FBO, suet etc.

I would not get too worked up about it.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2012, 10:04 AM
I feed with skin on, although was a bit wary of it as Louie hacked up a load of fur one night but other than that I just find it's cheaper and easier to feed with skin on..
tansox
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-01-2012, 11:34 AM
As I type, Flint has caught his own wild rabbit this morning and is munching away underneath the kitchen table everything will be eaten. We feed chicken etc. and leave skin on whenever possible, I try to keep the meat as natural as possible personally.
Jackalyn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-01-2012, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Fur is just keratin, inert protein which provides no nutrition to the dog. It does however provide a source of fibre and protection from bones. Fibre can be provided by vegetables and of course bone.

Skin is a source of fats which can be provided by fatty meats, fish, added FBO, suet etc.

I would not get too worked up about it.
Thanks smokey bear that's made me feel lots better, they have veg and Bone, fatty meats and fish so should be ok then hopefully.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2012, 01:51 PM
my Tupac will eat skin fur bones...even the claws on wabbits,he starts plucking birds...and gives up.... flea on the other hand is disgusted by this lol
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-01-2012, 04:47 PM
Fur hasn't got too much in it tbh. The skin would be quite good for them but they do get the main nutrients from the rest of the animal.
From experience with cats (i know they're not completely the same but are both hunting mammals) fur doesn't go down to great as it seems to cause them to throw up
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2012, 05:54 PM
I like to give my lot fur and feather when possible because it adds some protection to the gut from bones and also helps to clean out the bowels a little bit!