Our sister sites
Our sister sites
traybabe
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-07-2005, 02:47 PM

Westie /shall I clip or handstip?

I need some advice please.

My westie Ellie is now 5 months old and is in desperate need of some professional grooming. I have been told she just needs tidying by doing a hand strip as she should not be clipped until over 6 months old.. Now the lady I am considering to use has asked if I want to clip or hand strip when she is older - can anyone tell me the pros and cons of these and if it is important that I stick to either one. Advice gratefully received.

Tracy xxx
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2005, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by traybabe
I need some advice please.

My westie Ellie is now 5 months old and is in desperate need of some professional grooming. I have been told she just needs tidying by doing a hand strip as she should not be clipped until over 6 months old.. Now the lady I am considering to use has asked if I want to clip or hand strip when she is older - can anyone tell me the pros and cons of these and if it is important that I stick to either one. Advice gratefully received.

Tracy xxx
Hiya T

Sorry no advice, just wanted to say.... 5 months???????? allready???

Man how time flies...

J
traybabe
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-07-2005, 03:18 PM
Hiya J

I know. I will put a photo on later

T xx
gordon lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2005, 01:55 PM
ok, are you going to show her? If not then go ahead and have her clipped, it won't hurt her trust me, I'm in training for grooming (ain't that right AM ). This groom would only be a slight trim up with a longer blade, really only to get her used to being groomed.

Stripping - Pros

-Proper harsh coat
-Will stay same color (though as she's a westie )
-Only needs to be done 2 or so times a years (if I'm not mistaken)

Cons:

-Expensive and long procedure
-Not every groomer will strip
-If done when the coats not ready it can be uncomfortable
-If done properly at the right time, you will end up with a "naked" dog (only with the gaurd hairs)

Clipping - Pros

-All over shorter hair (if thats what you opt for, not my style though)
-Usually easy to maintain
-Not so expensive for a basic clip
-You can get what you want most of the time in terms of style

Cons:
-The hair can loose its proper harsh texture, but usually if let grow back it can be regained, but it takes years and sometimes never happens in some dogs.
-You don't loose the undercoat, so you may have more shedding (if thats a problem for you)
-Not able to show
-the hair will usually grow back thicker and curlier. (can be a pro too, depends on your preference)

I have no problem with either type of style You will have to decide whether to clip or strip, but what you can do is have her stripped first and then if you don't like it you can have her clipped. But remember, once you clip there is really no going back to stripping, as it won't really ever look the same.

Hope this helped.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-07-2005, 11:35 PM
Hi Tracy Gordonlover has prettywell covered it.
Will just add Westies like Schnauzers are double coated ,they have a longer harsh outer coat and a short soft undercoat and the two remain seperate when stripped.With cliping both coats become the same short length and mingle together so you lose the harsh top coat. It looks ok clipped if you are not going to show.
traybabe
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-07-2005, 01:02 PM
Thank you for your replies. I have found someone who will hand strip her on Thursday. I will let you know how it goes.

TB xx