Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2005, 04:46 PM
Anyone else experienced this?
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2005, 05:08 PM
Still think that he has reached the Kevin stage at the same time as you are giving him tablets, and may be because you are a bit sorry for him you are not being so firm as you might be. Would suggest that what ever training exercises you do with him now you increase, make him work for a living and withold attention and def. cuddles.

I am asuming he is a yearling if he is 5 years then I am wrong and I would have him checked by a vet for some other problem as I have never known this change in behaviour and I have got through a lot of steriods in my time.
Saz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2005, 05:37 PM
Thanks for that Thordell, Kai is 16 months old, still very young at the moment. A couple of hours ago I put him on his back to remind him that I am the boss not him, it has brought him back down a peg or two lol. He isn't getting out as much as he used to either so we think he could be just sulking big time lol i am taking him out at 6 in the mornig for intense road training, he'll love me forever!!! NOT!!!
IanIOW
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-07-2005, 06:30 PM
Hi Saz, i agree with what Thordell has said. It would not be the prednisolone. Prednisolone is a corticosteroid not to be cofused with anabolic steroids [that some bodybuilders etc take] that can cause mood swings and aggression. I would put it down to his age as he see's the other dogs as a challenge and he could also be showing protective instincts towards you and your family.I would just be firm with him and what i think you have to remember with any bullbreed is that it is their natural instinct coming out which you have to channel into other activities including exercise,play etc...Cheers...Ian..
Saz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2005, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by IanIOW
Hi Saz, i agree with what Thordell has said. It would not be the prednisolone. Prednisolone is a corticosteroid not to be cofused with anabolic steroids [that some bodybuilders etc take] that can cause mood swings and aggression. I would put it down to his age as he see's the other dogs as a challenge and he could also be showing protective instincts towards you and your family.I would just be firm with him and what i think you have to remember with any bullbreed is that it is their natural instinct coming out which you have to channel into other activities including exercise,play etc...Cheers...Ian..

Hi Ian, thank you for your advice. I think it may be coincidental that he is getting older and is just being a grump, plus the steroids. So, unlucky for him i am going to be firmer, i was before and yes we did feel for him with his limp so he has got away with a lot. Tomorrow is a new start and hopefully he will be back in the ring in a couple of months
IanIOW
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-07-2005, 07:38 PM
Hi Saz, we were at a Bullbreed show 2 weeks ago and one of our dogs Dora[ Dorset Olde Tyme Bulldog] really had the sulks because she could not run around and play as she loves the exercse.She is 16 months old. All she wanted to do was have some extra attention as you will see from the photo's.

She really sulks if she does'nt go out and will actually turn her back on you lol
I think you will be back to showing in no time at all once you start getting out and about again....Cheers...Ian..
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-07-2005, 07:48 PM
i think its the drugs and his age, once they get out of his system he should return to normal again, males are sods when they are reaching adult hood i think thats normal to some degree its just the time you need to make it clear who is the boss.........lol
ask the vet if its normal side effect to put your mind at ease.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2005, 08:08 PM
Forget the drugs, it is his age and his breed, keep him busy and withdraw favours that are not earned.

People hear the word steroid and think all sorts of things but steroid are what runs the body, and we could not live with out them, they are not to be scared of nor are they IMO the cause of your dogs behavior, it's as I said before his age and his breed.

Be firm with him, cut the sympathy, increase the exercise and make him work for reward, the rest of the time ignore him and only pay attention if you call him to you because you want to touch him, totaly ignore any approach from him. It's hard but after a couple of months you will have a well behaved boy who looks to you for a lead and will stop any unwanted behaviour when you say enough.
Saz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2005, 11:19 PM
Thank you Jackie, Ian and Leo i am certainly jnot too worried now about the steroids as you have put my mind at rest. I agree he is just an attention seeker at the best of times. We will start again in the morning with intense training. if he doesn't like it...... tough!! I need to feel i can trust him again

Thank you all you have been a big help
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2