Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-01-2011, 08:37 AM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
I'm convinced it's a mixture of owners who can handle their dog, food aggression warnings that weren't heeded and very sore skin. The steroids for him skin may have contributed. I know he might be a lost cause buy I havevto try, it is not hid poor dogs fault. Although if his skin is really as bad as my friend said, the pts might be kindest
(
What was the reason behind the attack 2 yrs ago,was he suffering with skin and food issues then.

Sorry to say, but for what ever the reason the dog is how he is, pts may be the only option.

Getting a rescue to take this dog on is going to be hard.

P.S has the friend asked you to get involved or are you doing this of your own back.

It may be worth remembering if her parents are makign this call, and its their decision , you telling them they should do otherwise is not going to help.

if they have asked for your help, then thats a different tissue.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 08:58 AM
Ooops double post
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 08:58 AM
My friend asked me to help, that's why she called, I resent the suggestion I butting in. The problem is that her parents are convinced PTS is the only option, my friend doesn't want it but is struggling between her own head and listening to her patents and doesn't know what to do. All I'm trying to arrange is for a knowledgable person in dog behaviour to discuss him rather than going on her parents assumptions. As has been said, people have a tendancy to over react to dog bites sometimes, her dad was home from hospital the same day so he was hardly savaged. I know it'd their dog but the public always think dog bite = automatic PTS. Apparently her dad was up all night crying with the dog. I just want to help them see if there are any alternatives. It seems none of them want it but are struggling to see that there is any possibility of another outcome. Maybe there isn't, I just want a second opinion really.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 09:00 AM

Well done Moons mum for helping, hope a solution is found, one way or the other..... Good luck xxxxxxx
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 09:03 AM
The more you say about the owners & how they treat this dog, the more convinced I am that the poor dog needs a proper assessment from someone knowledgeable & with the dog's interests at heart!
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 09:09 AM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
The more you say about the owners & how they treat this dog, the more convinced I am that the poor dog needs a proper assessment from someone knowledgeable & with the dog's interests at heart!
Thank you wilbar, that sums up my feelings exactly. If second opinion says pts then so be it, but doesn't he deserve a chance to be checked first?

I wish I'd been involved earlier. For many years by friend didn't not speak to her parents and has recently be forced home due to a relationship break up, hence why I've never met the dog. If I'd been involved sooner maybe I could have convinced them to get help/rehome before it got this bad poor poor Turbo
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-01-2011, 09:09 AM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
My friend asked me to help, that's why she called, I resent the suggestion I butting in. The problem is that her parents are convinced PTS is the only option, my friend doesn't want it but is struggling between her own head and listening to her patents and doesn't know what to do. All I'm trying to arrange is for a knowledgable person in dog behaviour to discuss him rather than going on her parents assumptions. As has been said, people have a twndancy to over react to dog bites sometimes, her dad was home from hospital the same day so he was hardly savaged.
I`m sorry you resent my "suggestion" it wa snot meant to imply you were butting in, you did not say in your fisrt post that your friend had asked fo help, only.

It may be that he is too dangerous but I would like a rescue to assess him
That's why I asked, if you are doing this without permission form the dogs owners, as the above could imply, you have taken it upon yourself to "help"

That's good your friend has asked you to help, but who does the dog belong to, your friend or her parents, if her parents, then its their decision , and thats what my comment was aimed at.

If its their dog, they make the decisions, and "may " see your input as interfering, that does not mean "I" think you are, just an observation for you to take on board!
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 09:13 AM
Just been googling. What about the breed specific rescues, they should be experts in the breed and should be willing to help?

http://www.americanbulldogrescue.co.uk/

http://www.bulldogrescue.co.uk/rescue.htm

or these:

http://www.endangereddogs.com/
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-01-2011, 09:17 AM
I am not sure if a rescue will take the responsibility.

Several things spring to mind though. You said he has food issues and someone was feeding him scraps I would think a dog that has food issues is best kept out of the way while people eat and definitely not fed scraps off a plate especially while you are eating. If they feel they want to give him some scraps it should be done where he doesn't see it coming off your plate and into his bowl.

A dog growling at anyone who comes near to do something is uncomfortable and is not normally out and out aggressive it is fear aggression. It is warning and that is usually a good sign that the dog does give a warning you should approach it in a different way if at all possible. Hard I know if it has something lodged in its throat.

Ollie has just gone onto steroids and I have read one of the many side effects can be a change in temperament and not for the good. This dog you say has had skin problems and has probabaly been feeling very uncomfortable and is also maybe suffering from side effects of a drug that can give many problems in itself.

I think if it is to have any chance no disrespect to your friends parents it needs a different handler someone with knowledge of possibly aggressive dogs to find out if it is the drugs or drugs and illness combined or if it really has a bad temperament. Either way as rescues are so full there might be no room for an assessment of a dog that sounds as if it may have problems.

I hope you can find a solution it needs a good chance to find out if it really has issues or could be handled differently.

I also hope your friends dad makes a quick recovery.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
I am not sure if a rescue will take the responsibility..
I know, me too. But they should offer to assess, listen to all that has happened, as they do anyway before taking on a dog. We do, for dogs in these situations, and we do also advise to pts.
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »