Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-09-2010, 07:14 AM

Tired !!!!!!!!

My dogs have there own room in my house its the box room and in there they have toys,treats and a comfy crate covered with fleeces to make it den like lol. D uring the day there allowed in and out as they please but at night the room is closed off with a baby gate.They have had that room for over 6 months and go in quite happily also i have a dap diffuser in there. So now to the problem usually i get up around 5.30 to walk them and the oldest dog usually needs persuading to move if a week end hes usually asking to come out by 7. This week ive had off work and each morning between 3.30 4.00 i can hear him tapping around on the flooring and hes very un willing to settle which s upsetting my oh as he still has to go to work any ideas how i can settle him better or what may be unsettling him.As im off work hes getting longer walks and more interaction sorry for rambing but this is puzzling me ps ive taken the doors of the crates do you think i should put them back on so he cant wander ?
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2010, 07:20 AM
How old is your oldest dog? I have no experience of it but I've heard that canine dementia can causes unwillingness to settle at night. Perhaps a vet check would be a good place to begin? I wouldn't shut him in the crate, it might mean you get more sleep but it won't solve the core issue - why is ge pacing?
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-09-2010, 07:26 AM
hes only 3 and a half and in good health and his behaviour as not changed in any other way
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2010, 07:33 AM
Ah, well it's probably not that then! Hmmmm, it's a mystery. I hope someone else with ideas come along soon.
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-09-2010, 07:35 AM
little devil is now on setee with me and hes snoring like a trooper lol !!!
grommit
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2010, 07:43 AM
Perhaps he's just a little unsettled because of the extra walks and you being home? break from normal routine? No expert here but just an idea?
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2010, 07:44 AM
Could there be something outside he can hear but you can't?
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-09-2010, 07:53 AM
he could hear next doors cat but that hasnt bothered him before and my other dog who is 2 is still in her crate and she is the one who alerts you to noises usually
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2010, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by Insomnia View Post
Could there be something outside he can hear but you can't?
This could be a reason - are you near a trainline or something? He's not quite a dog, but my stepdad had a spate of waking up at the same time in the early hours of the morning and didn't know why. One morning he happened to be up and heard a freight train going past, so it must've been waking him up. Or maybe a new milkman's started with an earlier schedule, postman, new neighbour walking their dog(s) past the house or something?
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2010, 02:04 PM
You could try playing a radio in the room at night, quiet but loud enough to drown out outside noise. Classical music or a dull chat show station work well.