Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
leaho
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-09-2009, 09:59 AM

8 month old lab swallowed a sock!

My puppy swallowed my little girl's long white sock on friday! I saw him do it and when I opened his mouth to fish it out I just caught a glimpse of the top of the sock before it went down!

Today is sunday and it hasn't come out either end. He has swallowed socks before and either vomits them or they come out in his poo but neither has happened yet. He vomited last night (nothing solid just gooey liquid) but no sock, so I think his body is trying to expel it. If nothing happens by tomorrow I'll take him to the vet. He is eating normally and seems fine but I can't help but worry it will get stuck inside him somehow!
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

13-09-2009, 10:20 AM
Hopefully it will pass.

Fingal is always eating Hannah's socks. I keep on at her to put them in the washing basket rather than leave them lying around.

So far Fingal has been lucky - I started counting them in the garden whenever I picked up poo in the hope that Hannah would stop discarding them everywhere. 23 socks I collected over one week.

Thankfully after complaining that she never has any socks - Hannah's improved no end and it only happens now and again.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2009, 11:48 AM
I would keep a very careful eye on him. Fudge had an intestinal blockage and the first signs were a slimy vomit. This lasted about 12 hours and then she went down hill very quickly. After a vet exam.he decided an injection to stop the vomiting would be fine. Several days later she had passed the blockage but had she gone a day longer she was due for an op to get it out. It turned out to be a hair bobble....
Annajayne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-09-2009, 12:10 PM
Keep a close eye on him. This happened to one of our dogs (not our present dog). He seemed OK for a couple of days then the slimy vomit started then he went really ill. He was OK but only because of medical treatment.
leaho
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-09-2009, 02:41 PM
OK. I will take him to the vet I think tomorrow if he hasn't passed it by then.
Midnight
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-09-2009, 04:22 PM
Good Luck, hope he passes it & doesn't need medical treatment. Keep us updated. xx
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2009, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by leaho View Post
OK. I will take him to the vet I think tomorrow if he hasn't passed it by then.
Good luck with that. Personally, I would be at the vets right now......
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-09-2009, 02:35 AM
I agree on the close eye. A tale of 2 Goldens. Our Tux a heavy wool sock. I knew nothing until i was cleaning up the back yard. The young lady that showed Tux at 4-H lost a Golden that ate a sock.
leaho
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-09-2009, 10:31 AM
All is well - he passed the sock in a rather long stool yesterday morning! Will be extra vigilant about stray socks lying around in future!
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2009, 10:40 AM
Thas great news.....
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >