register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: What is more of a risk with spaying?
Not waking up from aneasthetic 3 17.65%
contracting pyometra if not spayed 14 82.35%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-02-2005, 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd
, it was all these things that led to her nearly dying. Rare circumstances, but still possible.
Another thing I hear a lot of people say is you shouldn't get a dog neutered (more often castrated than spayed) as they get fat? I find this crazy. The only way a dog can get fat is if you feed it too much and under exercise it. Woody definitely needs less food now he's castrated, but we reduce his food accordingly! Not difficult!
No so i'm afraid RS, closed pyometra frequently has hardle any symptoms until it is to late and the toxins and bacteria have leaked across the uterine walls and into the bloodstream causing life-threatening toxic effects. I have personally experienced four bitches with pyo, lost two, saved two and saved three for other people by advising them. In two of my bitches there were no symptoms except my feeling there was something wrong . In one case I had a stand up row with the vet when I insisted there was a problem and he though not.. he had less experience of pyo than me and I lost the bitch. I agree about the weigh, Amy now at 14 is a slim as a puppy
There are risks whatever you do..We also lost an unspayed bitch with mammary tumors.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2005, 12:48 AM
Well that makes me feel a bit better! Thought my dad was being a bit of an idiot not being able to spot the illness. The vet said her Uterus was huge due to the infection, we must have been lucky I guess, thank god! Still didn't make it any easier when we had to decide to put her to sleep! Such is life!
enerosar
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-02-2005, 06:59 AM
Id say getting pymo is more of a risk then an anasetic once the dog is under they are linked up to oxygen and if somthing does go wrong the vets and nurses are there and can insert a tube into the mouth (asuming lungs) to help breeth and its all fully reversable. I asked what happens if somthing goes wrong when they KOd Banrey of Xrays.

As for the Pymo, if you dont see it soon enough or cant get to the vet it could turn nasty and you end up with more of a risk than the anesetic.

Im having my bitch done as soon as shes finnished this season due to phantoms and the risk of Pymo.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2005, 07:40 AM
Think pyro. is more of a risk but it is not like bloat, a bitch can and often does have it for more that a couple of weeks before the owner realises that they are not their normal self and visit the vet. It is serious but it takes time to do the damage and if you have an intact bitch it is something you should be on the lookout for and like if you have a breed that bloats it is the first thing you think off should the dog seem unwell. Have known a bitch have pyro. after the first season, unusual it is normally in late middle age not in the young bitch. Any bitch seeming flat and under the weather or any change in the normal behaviour should be seen by a vet, give it 24 hours then act. Think it is one of the things you should watch for if you bitch has been mated or has been taken out during her season, have known it confused with a phantom so if after her season she seems a little odd then have her checked out.

That does not apply to bloat do not give it even 24 minutes, get someone to phone the vet to say you are on the way and get the dog down there. Pyro. can be serious, bloat is one of the true emergencies.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2