View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2005, 11:33 AM
yeh i always have indie on lead round kids, even if we are up the common and i see some people comin up with a kid i put indie on lead. Indie would just bounce over to them and knock em flat on the floor, lol. Some people dont appreciate that,lmao.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-02-2005, 01:59 PM
Rs it did sound rather bossy I think I would have shouted back as well ,'Control those children, control those children, don't scare my dogs
WiggilyStump
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-02-2005, 02:05 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd
I just remembered this so thought I would share! A couple of years ago, I was out in Hamsterley Forrest with my dogs enjoying a four miler. I eventually came to the end of the trail back into the main part of the park. Now my dogs are v well behaved and are very rarely on the lead as they do everything I ask, but we're walking along the road back to the car and all of a sudden I heard "DOGS ON LEADS PLEASE, DOGS ON LEADS!!!" Well I nearly died, and so did my dogs! Turns out a school was having a day out and decided they could tell everyone else what to do! My reply? "CHILDREN ON LEADS PLEASE, CHILDREN ON LEADS!"
I'm sorry but I know some dogs can be nasty and children can be nervous if not used to dogs but I was going in completely the opposite direction for crying out loud and as I was the only person in close proximity I know it was aimed at me! As far as I can see, far more children do damage in parks than dogs do! And my dogs are far better behaved than most children I come across!
Nuff said!
P.S Please don't hurt me!!
I completely agree with you, but there is a sign at hamsterly forest that says you have to keep your dog on a lead, I never do tho, only if its busy!!
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-02-2005, 02:06 PM
she could have asked you nicely

I always put Star on the lead when we see children as she likes to jump on them to lick their faces Excitement just takes over as she loves kids.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2005, 02:50 PM
3 of mine go on leads when around kids...the other one just runs in the other direction if ANYONE other than me or the family approaches him and hed rather die than go up to someone!
kirstie b
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-02-2005, 03:02 PM
mine have to go on lead if I see kids coming as they think all kids need their ears cleaning Bosun has also discovered that buggies/pushchairs contain captive ears and sticky fingers/faces too this was thanks to a fellow staffy owner letting him get in about her little un
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2005, 03:23 PM
Of course dogs should be on leads around kids, but do people have to be so rude?? The sheer fact that she had to shout meant that I was too far away for my dogs to get near the kids. And as I said she was at the top of the road and I came out half way down and was walking in the opposite direction by the time she opened her mouth! What really gets up my nose is that many non doggie people hark on about dogs doing so much damage to the countryside and in parks etc, yet I can't count how many kids I've seen trashing parks and leaving litter. Not necessarily on school trips. Of course some dogs will destroy if not kept under control, but the owner should be aware of this and keep them on a lead accordingly! But so should parents of children that don't respect the countryside etc IMO.(Not on leads, just under control!!!Even I'm not that cruel!! )
I completely agree with you, but there is a sign at hamsterly forest that says you have to keep your dog on a lead, I never do tho, only if its busy!!
From what I can remember the sign asks people to keep their dogs under close control rather than on leads. Which I was plesantly suprised about, unless it's changed since I was there last. Like you say for the first ten minutes I keep them on a lead cos they're just sooo excited to be out somewhere new! BTW do you know of any other walks in the park cos I always go from Bedburn park and walk around there but I can't find any others which I'm surprised at cos it's huge!!
kirstie b
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-02-2005, 03:28 PM
oh dear.. but she was a primary school teacher ... we have a few in our family and they are all extremely bossy with VERY loud voices !!
WiggilyStump
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-02-2005, 03:28 PM
When I go there I can never get away from the park cos my 4 year old loves it. I only walk along the stream and up that big hill and thats as far as I've got, next time I go Im going to have an adventeur, well thats what I'll tell my son anyway!
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-02-2005, 03:43 PM
Mine are on leads near kids, at least until I have sussed out "how the land lies" as regards the behaviour of the kids! Snorri loves playing with kids (surprising, because he's very suspicious of strange adults) if they throw things for him, but Kali tends to keep a low profile.

Hmmmm, primary school teachers. My mum was one, and she was a right bossy-boots. Then I went out with one for a couple of years, and she managed to lower my regard for them by a considerable amount - she was as THICK AS TWO SHORT PLANKS (WITH CONCRETE IN-FILL). I hope that she was just a bad example! The thought of her being let loose on youngsters is horrifying

Being in an area described by the Council as "Scattered agricultural", I'm used to leashing the dogs when out in the area, because of the livestock. I'm 99.9% sure my Boys are OK with cows, etc., but the leash makes it 100%, and the farmers can SEE they're under control. Beaches are the exception. Up here, the dogs have as much right to be there as anyone else.

Snorri
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >