View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2012, 08:54 PM
There is no need to feel sad because I would not train if I did not compete.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2012, 09:08 PM
Some very interesting comments on this thread.

I would love to be a great trainer and to really enjoy training my dogs. The truth is though that I prefer long walks and hikes in the hills to training sessions. That said, I always do the foundation work with my dogs and then build on that over time in a natural way ie when we are out and about. I want them to learn "life skills" and to listen to me, but I just don't have the motivation to get focused, close heelwork or straight sit and presents etc. I love watching great trainers putting their dogs through their paces, but I just don't have the need for that in my every day life.

Outdoor training in something "useful" (for wont of a better phrase) such as herding, tracking, man trailing or searching is of interest to me and I enjoy these activities with my dogs - but not to the point where I wish to compete (yet! - although that could change with the WT training ).

Unfortunately most of the formal dog training classes I have attended over the years have been the church hall type affairs, which has never managed to ignite my training torch!
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-09-2012, 07:54 AM
Well put! I want my dog to live as happily and safely as possible in my environment (and obviously the community in which I live), so that means not chasing cattle, lunging at dogs, jumping on people and letting me have coffee and cake el fresco in peace and quiet, whether that means he sits or goes down - his choice.

Originally Posted by Wyrekin View Post
Bandit is a year old now and he knows a few things but not a huge amount. He knows sit and down he sort of stays and he can roll over, he can't do any of this at a distance. He's done a bit of fun agility but that's it but...
Things he knows that help him in day to day life include:
Not going through gates in to fields with livestock (most of the field animals where I work would kill him!)
Waiting the other side in the vicinity of the gate when I'm the in a livestock field.
Staying in whatever I put him in be it a bucket, wheelbarrow or box.
Not getting under horses feet.
Not approaching other dogs unless told to.
A loose heel command.
Not to chasen any livestock.
Not to approach visitors.
And most importantly in my opinion... How to settle in the pub!!
Most of these things I haven't actively taught but through day to day life on a farm he's learnt what's appropriate and what isn't. I can take him out in public knowing he'll recall when I want, not bother people or livestock and settle when I stop. He may never know a sit stay or a down stay as others see it but as far as I'm concerned as long as he is safe when out and about with me I'm happy.
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-09-2012, 07:58 AM
Well still struggling with perfect recall and his manners still need fine tuning!

I think I would have had a far better opinion of training had I been to a training group such as the one you went too - that really does sound like fun. With my last dog (16 years ago) when she was a puppy we did go to a good training group and she would always start off with the reason why we were teaching our dog to do what she was asking and she would have races etc.. to stimulate us and the dog!

Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Yup mine love training so much too - and to the point they are wanting to learn new things to get the click - I have to be careful with Ben because he often dosent swallow the treat properly in his excitment to get on to the next click
I know plenty dogs can be happy without it - but for mine I know they are happier being able to work with me

Sounds like too many classes are just dull - the classes I went to with Ben the stays were in the form of musical statues - we walked round the room and when the music stopped we had to leave our dogs in a stay and go into the middle of the room. Heelwork was an egg and spoon race - she is a great trainer and always had games to challange us
Sad to hear you wouldnt train if you didnt compeate - everyones different - I love to train just for trainings sake - I like to try and work out how I would do a trick with that dog, break it down and figure out how to get it to work - even if I never get as far as finishing the trick I enjoy the journy for a learning experience

Shame you went to a dull class we had lots of relivent things at the class too - manners around people and real world leave its and stuff - as for a down in the cold and wet - I wouldnt even ask for it - if he dont like lying on the cold wet floor I dont blame him

lots of dogs struggle with some things - I have given up on the idea of Ben holding things in his mouth - he just dosent like it and it isnt important to me
everyone has their limits - noone says you have to do anything - I would say a recal and being civil is more than many people have got
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-09-2012, 08:05 AM
It has been a very useful thread for me - I feel more at peace with my dog and what I expect from him and what he will and won't do. I found formal training torturous and couldn't see the point but felt I had to keep going - not anymore. I'm going to concentrate on getting him to behave according to my rules in my environment.

Incidentally - I went to one class and there were over 20 dogs in my group, my boy was so agitated I could tell he was on the edge of really bad behaviour my biggest fear was that he would start lunging at the other dogs that were far too close to him. He was bored as there wasn't enough to do - I couldn't keep him in the down position indefinitely, whilst the trainer chatted to someone else about a problem she was having with her dog!

Originally Posted by Moobli View Post

I would love to be a great trainer and to really enjoy training my dogs. The truth is though that I prefer long walks and hikes in the hills to training sessions. That said, I always do the foundation work with my dogs and then build on that over time in a natural way ie when we are out and about. I want them to learn "life skills" and to listen to me, but I just don't have the motivation to get focused, close heelwork or straight sit and presents etc. I love watching great trainers putting their dogs through their paces, but I just don't have the need for that in my every day life.

Outdoor training in something "useful" (for wont of a better phrase) such as herding, tracking, man trailing or searching is of interest to me and I enjoy these activities with my dogs - but not to the point where I wish to compete (yet! - although that could change with the WT training ).

Unfortunately most of the formal dog training classes I have attended over the years have been the church hall type affairs, which has never managed to ignite my training torch!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2012, 09:47 AM
I love walking my dogs and I love training them, sometimes the motivation to train is lacking unless I have an aim. However since pushing back a few bounderies and thinking about concepts etc I am fascinated by all three of them and their various thought processes.

I have to say I am also enjoying some of the fun dog shows---I have never done them before and the right ones make a relaxing afternoon out with friends and dogs---the wrong ones have something of the aspect of a nightmare----but nothing is perfect!

rune
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2012, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by Wyrekin View Post
Bandit is a year old now and he knows a few things but not a huge amount. He knows sit and down he sort of stays and he can roll over, he can't do any of this at a distance. He's done a bit of fun agility but that's it but...
Things he knows that help him in day to day life include:
Not going through gates in to fields with livestock (most of the field animals where I work would kill him!)
Waiting the other side in the vicinity of the gate when I'm the in a livestock field.
Staying in whatever I put him in be it a bucket, wheelbarrow or box.
Not getting under horses feet.
Not approaching other dogs unless told to.
A loose heel command.
Not to chasen any livestock.
Not to approach visitors.
And most importantly in my opinion... How to settle in the pub!!
Most of these things I haven't actively taught but through day to day life on a farm he's learnt what's appropriate and what isn't. I can take him out in public knowing he'll recall when I want, not bother people or livestock and settle when I stop. He may never know a sit stay or a down stay as others see it but as far as I'm concerned as long as he is safe when out and about with me I'm happy.

I think that's a great amount he's learnt already, he knows how to stay safe and be calm when needed, better than obedience level stuff he doesn't need in his situation

Originally Posted by Moobli View Post

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. Dogs need 'life skills' dependant on their lifestyle and situation. Axel, for example, isn't bothered about training, he wants to treats but doesn't work hard for them and soon gives up. His recall is ok in most situations, he walks beautifully on the lead (very important to me) and is calm and relaxed when I need him to be, we have no need for long sits/downs/stays and we get along just fine
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2012, 01:56 PM
I don't see the need for a dog to be trained to a high standard in countless things but I can't imagine not training mine. I enjoy it, they generally enjoy it and I've found that even the silliest of tricks can come in handy at times. Spencer loves training and is so enthusiastic about it that I'd honestly feel I was depriving him if I decided to never teach him anything else. As for walks...well I personally don't agree with not walking a healthy dog, dogs need exercise and they do not get that in a house and garden.

For me a stay is a life skill, whether it's a sit, down or a stand. I feel it's just as important as recall is and work towards having a rock solid stay whatever's going on around. It's come in handy quite a few times for me.
Chellie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-09-2012, 04:30 PM
All I ask of my dogs is to be solid in three commands - wait, heel and leave.

If they show no interest in any training then I know that they are at least safe when I am out walking them and that is all that I ask for.

I don't compete in any dog sports so if the dog isn't interested in training then that is fine by me.

My current dogs are completely different in their training wants; Willow is now nearly 13 so doesn't have any training at all but if I do take her to the local club (she is sometimes used as a stooge) then she drops comfortably back into the class and does what I ask of her - motivator, food, she isn't called fat dog for nothing (she isn't overweight, just greedy )

Storm loves to work, doesn't matter who has hold of the lead (or indeed doesn't) he will work with them but he does play the inexperienced handlers for a fool and I swear he laughs at them He doesn't do anything perfectly in class but is a trier and I am happy that he just enjoys it. Motivator - working.

His sister Meeka is a totally different kettle of fish. She (as do my other two) will wait, leave and heel on command but anything else and she is not interested. Tried a few different motivators with her but she just didn't want to know so I haven't taken her to any training classes, there just isn't any point.
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-09-2012, 04:39 PM
Isn't that staggering the difference between 3 dogs that all live together - I love it that they all react differently and all 3 will do different things for different reasons.

I think wait, heel and leave are perfectly adequate for my dog - the first training group I took him to he seemed to enjoy. The next class (up) just irritated him, he wouldn't do as he was told, he got highly agitated and lunged for one of the other dogs (class of 20+ dogs each squeezed in - I felt like lunging at the others in my personal space). So now he doesn't go. He is home tutored!

Originally Posted by Chellie View Post
All I ask of my dogs is to be solid in three commands - wait, heel and leave.

If they show no interest in any training then I know that they are at least safe when I am out walking them and that is all that I ask for.

I don't compete in any dog sports so if the dog isn't interested in training then that is fine by me.

My current dogs are completely different in their training wants; Willow is now nearly 13 so doesn't have any training at all but if I do take her to the local club (she is sometimes used as a stooge) then she drops comfortably back into the class and does what I ask of her - motivator, food, she isn't called fat dog for nothing (she isn't overweight, just greedy )

Storm loves to work, doesn't matter who has hold of the lead (or indeed doesn't) he will work with them but he does play the inexperienced handlers for a fool and I swear he laughs at them He doesn't do anything perfectly in class but is a trier and I am happy that he just enjoys it. Motivator - working.

His sister Meeka is a totally different kettle of fish. She (as do my other two) will wait, leave and heel on command but anything else and she is not interested. Tried a few different motivators with her but she just didn't want to know so I haven't taken her to any training classes, there just isn't any point.
Page 8 of 9 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 >