View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
eloquence
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2007, 07:48 PM
i know how hard it is, i had real trouble getting hold of an irish setter because my son at the time was only 4, i know i spoke to many breeders before we finally decided on the lady we got jazzie from, but even then she was really concerned that jazzie would jump up and hurt him, in a playful mood of course. i'll never forget, i rang one lady and she was so very rude to me that i actually hung up on her!!

i know there is a slight size difference here, but some breeders a really picky about where their pups go, which to a certain extent is good of course.

All i can say is stick with it honey, you will get one in the end!
wilmasmum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-05-2007, 09:10 PM
My two older kids are 13 months apart,the eldest had just turned 2,when i brought home Tara standard poodle,they were never left alone with her ,so she was never pestered in an unacceptable manner,and likewise she was stopped from jumping on or mouthing the kids,when she was 12months old i had my third child,and there were no problems.
Tara lived for 15 years,and she was never an ounce of trouble,kids and dogs can grow up together very well.
Papillon
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-05-2007, 08:53 AM
Breeders have said no as soon as I told them how old my children were. I understand everyones concerns and its helped me deal with the rejection a little better. I am still rather miffed though as to why I am still being told no even though my kids are in school/nursery soon so I will be home alone all day. Seems funny how I will have all this spare time to languish on a dog but still no one will entertain me.

I have asked about older dogs too as I would prefer an older one as opposed to a pup, but still got turned away
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2007, 10:29 AM
I totally sympathize with you Papillon, you know your kids and if they are gentle with the guinea pigs I'm sure they will be equally gentle with a pup, whatever it's size.

I sort of understand the breeders reasons but in some ways I feel it is counter productive as someone less principled than you would just lie or find a pup where the breeders were in it for the money and didn't care.

Is your heart absolutely set on a Pap? Could you consider another breed? I got my Mini Schnauzer, Pepper, when my kids were 3 and 5 and she is just the perfect size (not that I'm biased or anything ) small enough for me and the kids but big enough to be a little more robust. Then you could add a Pap to the family when the kids were a bit bigger (I'm thinking of a Yorkie in the next year or so).

Best of luck, whatever you decide,

J
gaznweebeasties
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-05-2007, 10:43 AM
i think its daft

you know your kids better than anyone vetting you would
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2007, 11:51 AM
That's the point the breeders don't know so they have to make a judgement based on their experiences and I'm sorry to say it isn't favourable for those with young children. Papillon may be the exception to the rule but why would a responsible breeder take the risk that the puppy may be sent back, or worse passed on because of the children?
Becky
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2007, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by cocker mum View Post
I have homed puppies very successfully into family homes, with couples who have since having a puppy become pregnant. and to childless homes. as long as the whole family is vetted and the child interacts well with my dogs i would consider them for a puppy. it's all about how the children are brought up and how they are taught to act around the animal.
I don't understand breeders saying that a family with small children can't have a puppy....??????....what happens if they fall pregnant at a later date should the breeder go and collect the said dog from them just in case the child hurts it?????
iagree if the children are brought up properly to love and respect dogs/animals they make much more conciderate human bieng and deniying them a dog because they are children makes no sense, i interview familes with the children to see if the children are well behaved and listen to there parents,then i introduce the puppies and you can tell straight away a well behaved diceplined child from a bratt.ppl with bratts dont get my puppies either.
Papillon
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-05-2007, 01:26 PM
Like I said before, I have tried for other breeds of dog, but have been told the same reasonings, thats why I posted, to find out WHY
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2007, 01:32 PM
Ihave successfully rehomed pups into a family enviroment but have always stated to potential owners that i would like to meet all the family members involved in the rehoming of the pup as only then can u tell how they will react with a puppy .
Ihave alsdo turned ppl with children away as i didnt like the way or lack of disapline the parents had with the children on how they handled the pup.
Ialways stay in very close contact with the new owners and the pups come back for regular visits which is lovely and have not had any problems with the new owners or the pups past or present everyone has been very satisfied myself included
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2007, 02:23 PM
Originally Posted by cocker mum View Post
I don't understand breeders saying that a family with small children can't have a puppy....??????....what happens if they fall pregnant at a later date should the breeder go and collect the said dog from them just in case the child hurts it?????

I was thinking the same thing!

I can understand breeders have to be careful but if the family are vetted and approved I see no reason why a puppy cannot be homed into a family with small children. Their parents just have to be vigilent and ensure both children and dog respect each other and play nicely.
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >