Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Papillon
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-05-2007, 04:06 PM

*sigh* feeling a little down

Well after being knocked back by another breeder, I am starting to feel like I may as well give up. Whats so wrong in wanting a dog with kids? My boys are brought up right, to respect things and not to bother with what they are told not to. I have umpteen guinea pigs and breed occasionally and my boys help with everything!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as to others reasons for saying no to people with kids
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2007, 04:14 PM
It depends on how old your children are. When I first started breeding it wasn't a problem until I had puppies returned, or worse just got rid of, because of the kids behaviour to them. I now wont sell to people with kids under 5 because I want my pups to (hopefully) be in one home forever not be passed on because of the children.
Becky
Papillon
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-05-2007, 04:20 PM
See, thats what I am up against. My boys are 4 (full time school come september) and 2. What my point is, the dog is for me, not them. I keep a rare variety of pigs and if I had ANY doubts as to how my kids would treat them or any thing else, I wouldn't even concider looking for a pup/dog whatever.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2007, 04:37 PM
I appreciate what you're saying and I know it's difficult. I'm assuming it's a pap you want and a pap puppy is tiny and it may be deemed too big a risk for breeders to take. Remember they don't know you from adam.
Maybe try to build up a relationship with a breeder, have references from schools, play groups etc that can testify to your childrens good behaviour and once they get to know you and see that you will be more than capable then things will change.
It's very difficult to judge people on a single call or visit.
Becky
Papillon
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-05-2007, 04:42 PM
I know what your saying and I appreciaet that too. Its not necissarily a pup I am after either, as originally I was getting an older bitch, but the breeder inquestion changed her mind so often I never knew where I stood.

What I'd love to know is how others would be persuaded, or not (maybe its a bad word?) to let someone in my possition have a dog so small. Its not just paps I have been turned down for, though they are the breed I would truly love to have. I have offered statements from lots of people, including a trainer, a home vetter and others to breeders, but as soon as I say "small kids" they seem to turn off
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2007, 04:45 PM
I'd ask to see the children, one home where the child was under 5 brought him to see the pups and he behaved impeccably so made me very comfortable, and that was a very successful home lol!
I'd never sell a pup to anyone without seeing all the family that the pup will be living with.
Becky
Papillon
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-05-2007, 04:46 PM
I welcome anyone that would want to vet me! Visit me as many times as you like! I prefer to be checked, that way I feel more that the breeder cares than looking for money
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2007, 04:50 PM
Have you contacted the Papillon Club Secretary? She may know of breeders who are more willing to home with children.
http://www.papillonclub.co.uk/
Becky
Papillon
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-05-2007, 04:51 PM
Yes I have, none so far
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-05-2007, 04:51 PM
I can understand your frustration but I too wouldn't let a puppy go to people who had young children. Your case is made even more difficult as it's a toy breed. It only takes your 4 year old to fall accidentally and it could seriously injure even an adult toy breed. It's not so bad when it's a bigger more robust breed.

However my reason for not selling to people with kids is that parenting, even with one child, is a full time job and I want people to put in as much time and effort with the puppy as I have. This is impossible if you have children to take care of.

Debs
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »