View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-04-2012, 09:55 PM

Anyone run there website via microsoft office live?

Hi guys, my website is registered via microsoft office live.
i got the site 2 years ago, the site hosting was free, but my 2 year domain was £12.49

Have been getting emails informing me office live is discontinuing and being replaced by microsoft office 360. This isnt free, but i get a 6 month free trial, so i went thru links to transfer my domain and site to this.

In doing so, one link took me to the domain register company called melbourne IT in australia.

The instructions that microsoft provided arent that easy, and somehow thru being redirect by them to melbourne IT i ended up cancelling my domain!

I had to register an account with melbourne IT and they priced me £100 for 2 years for registering my old domain name!

Im a bit peeved, i thought i was only going via melbourne IT as part of the process of transferring to office 360, didnt realise all this would happen?

My domain was due to expire in may 2012 anyway, but i figured i could have enacted renwal via the new office 360, just as you were able to do thru the old office live, at a comparitive fee.

Does anyone else run their site thru office live and have transferred over to office 360?

any similar problems?

does anyone know how i can sort all this out, in simple non technical language

many thanks in advance.

if its not sorted by 30th april next week my website is dead. i have save it all to my documents at least, but would prefer not to redesign a complete new one.

lastly, having now signed into the new office 360, their is no sign of my website, despite all the blurbs saying it would be transferred over?
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2012, 12:25 AM
I used 123-reg? find it hassle free. OH paid for it though haha, so spoilt!
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-04-2012, 12:44 PM
Cheers emma anyone else? Any techies? Azz? Rich c?
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

24-04-2012, 08:15 AM
Sorry, well outside of my area of experience/expertise. My web content is either hosted on my ISP's free 15MB or however much it is or on my own server at home with DynDNS providing the 'domain' part.

Through a process called redirection, I could buy a domain name like www.rich_it.co.uk or something and redirect my existing http://bumblebee.homelinux.net to it. So, one solution to your problem would be to go back to basics and host your site yourself instead of 'in the cloud' and redirect as suggested above. Granted, that's going to take some research and effort but the end result is that you're in control rather than at the mercy of Microsoft in your case. Which, at the end of the day, is what free (As in Libre.) software is all about!
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2012, 08:47 AM
My website for Bailey is via microsoft, I did the same as you and ended up at melbourne IT. I wanted to transfer the domin to 123-reg but I needed some additional info, emailed Melb IT but had no reply

I've cancelled it and will now wait for it to become available via 123-reg and buy it again, I'm also considering getting the .com address instead of .co.uk

Luckily Baileys site isn't, in the scheme of things, that important so I can afford to wait - still rubbish though
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

24-04-2012, 09:03 AM
Presumably the Microsoft solution was billed as being convenient and easy to use etc. Just goes to show, DIY FTW! To be honest, setting up your own web server isn't as hard as I'd imagined it to be. Before I actually dived in and did it, I thought it'd be a horrendous procedure involving endless config files etc. OK, it took a bit of work but I'm in control of my content. The only part outside my control is DynDNS.