Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
xionax
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-11-2010, 08:03 PM

Behaviourist's???

i have a two year old tibetan terrier, she started off just hello barking and quite happily playing with other dogs. she now barks aggresivly at most dog.
I took her to the vets and asked about behaviourist, he said that cost alot :\

i was just wandering what behaviourists will actually do to help tillys problem? And also if anybody knows the prices approximatly?

Thankyou

p.s. if anybody knows of any behaviourists in cumbria area, as i can't find anyone

p.p.s if you can offer any advice on tillys aggresion id be REALLY gratefull
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2010, 09:14 PM
One of Victoria Stillwell's methods is that whenever the dog barks at another, she turns in the opposite direction and walks away, then brings the dog back and repeats - if you do try this you'll have to have a non reactive dog.

Behaviourists are expensive but then again - is your dog worth it? Also if you cant afford to hire one, simply reading their books can help a little in your understanding of your dogs behaviour.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2010, 09:22 PM
You could try the APBC website - http://www.apbc.org.uk/
Vicki_Ann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-11-2010, 09:51 PM
They're not that expensive in the scheme of things. Often sessions are to assess your dog, and then 'refresher' sessions - most of the work is just you and your dog at home.

You can expect to pay around £20 an hour or not too much more than that. I personally think it's money well spent. Be sure you are happy with the methods the behaviourist may want to use though, as not all are understanding about the dog's state of mind.
cardaph
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-11-2010, 10:25 PM

Hi

I recently attended a seminar given by a behaviourist called David Ryan who is in Carlisle. I was really impressed with him and he has a website so you could see what you think. If I remember correctly he charges £95
This is the link to his website:

http://www.dog-secrets.co.uk/

We recently had a consultation with one near us for our 18month tibetan terrier who has separation problems and that cost us £135. These dogs can be quite a handful!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-11-2010, 11:27 PM
Hi Iona do you have pet insurance, if so check your policy ,some cover the cost of a behaviourist but you will need a referral from a vet.

As Krlyr says go for someone who is a member of a reputable organisation like the APBC (I think David Ryan is the chairman, he has a very good reputation ).

she started off just hello barking and quite happily playing with other dogs. she now barks aggresivly at most dog.
Can you remember when this behaviour started, it sounds as though something may have happened to make Tilly fearful of other dogs.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2010, 08:46 AM
I agree that if you go to the APBC registered behaviourists at least you can be pretty certain that the advice & help you're given is good & correct. Unfortunately the animal behaviour industry is not regulated so you take your chances if you go to someone without any recognised qualifications ~ anyone can call themselves a dog behaviourist. But sometimes recommendations from other dog owners can be ok too.

I don't why your vet thought that behaviourists are expensive ~ vets think nothing of charging hundreds of pounds for medical treatment, so why about £100 for behavioural therapy (just as important IMO), is considered excessive, I don't know.
Marnie1981
New Member!
Female 

03-11-2010, 02:03 PM
Hi,

Yes agree with Wilbur on this one, especially the vet costs versus behaviourist

If your dog is insured, some insurers cover behavioural but only through vet referral which should always be sought anyway as physical problems should be ruled out before behavioural is considered.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2010, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by Marnie1981 View Post
Hi,

Yes agree with Wilbur on this one, especially the vet costs versus behaviourist

If your dog is insured, some insurers cover behavioural but only through vet referral which should always be sought anyway as physical problems should be ruled out before behavioural is considered.
Hi Marnie ~ Barney & Wilma say hi too
Marnie1981
New Member!
Female 

03-11-2010, 04:45 PM
Hi Wilbur,

Marnie & Tiggy say hello also
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >