Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2010, 12:33 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Rachel for a general puppy book for every new puppy owner I would recommend..
The fast track 'Puppy Survival Kit' by Lyn Fleet and Helen Roberts both members of the APDT . More of a booklet than a book but it covers the essentials and only costs a few £s
,http://dog-games-shop.co.uk/dog-trai...vival-kit.html
I've just Googled this book, and it comes up with a lot of good reviews - particularly from responsible breeders who include it in their puppy packs for new owners. So I guess that's a good recommendation.

Just out of interest it can also be ordered from Lyn Fleet's own website if you want buy it thru Paypal - I don't think the place linked above accepts PP.

I don't plan on having a puppy in the near future but I think I'll buy it anyway, it would be nice to have something I can recommend to others.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-11-2010, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
I've just Googled this book, and it comes up with a lot of good reviews - particularly from responsible breeders who include it in their puppy packs for new owners. So I guess that's a good recommendation.

Just out of interest it can also be ordered from Lyn Fleet's owI've heard someone recommend her book "The Culture Clash" to a newbie puppy owner toon website if you want buy it thru Paypal - I don't think the place linked above accepts PP.

I don't plan on having a puppy in the near future but I think I'll buy it anyway, it would be nice to have something I can recommend to others.
Hi Sue it is on offer at Dog Games at the moment, only £3 . Over the last few years I have been giving a copy as a gift to family and friends who had a new puppy and they found it very helpful . It is a 'simple' up to date easy to follow book for new puppy owners .
Originally Posted by krlyr
I've heard someone recommend her book "The Culture Clash" to a newbie puppy owner too
'The Culture Clash' is excellent if you want a more in depth look at how dogs function and their training.

The Perfect Puppy is also a very good book (if you overlook the suggestion to use newspaper routinely when house training). I note Gwen Bailey now suggest having a puppy with you during the night, something I have been doing for many years. This was not suggested in an early copy of TPP which I have dated 1996, later editions may have been updated.

Another book is ' Dr Dunbar's Good Little Dog Book' full of excellent detailed advice but I found the language a bit irritating times (what I would describe as americanese) , nevertheless it is well worth buying.
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

01-11-2010, 11:08 PM
Two free books to download are Dr Ian Dunbar's 'Before you get your puppy' and 'After you get your puppy'.
Both excellent and FREE!
http://www.dogstardaily.com/free-downloads

Also if you want something a little more condensed but to the point sarah Whitehead has a good book/pamphlet available.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2