View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2010, 08:22 PM
Its a lose, lose situation! Its only ever the dogs that suffer!

Alot of people that you speak to wont take in adult dogs from rescues for what ever reasons, and thats their choice - they shouldnt be made guilty about that. There are alot of people that want a dog from a pup but also want to help out with rescues.

I would rather the pregnancy was ended rather than the dam giving birth then having her pups taken away, its stressful for the bitch. But like I said before, after 6weeks gone I would not like to hear of a bitch having her pups aborted. Rescue times are hard and I can understand where you all say about older dogs being in the rescue longer, but lets face it someone wanting to rescue a pup and couldnt would only go to a breeder instead, I mean how many times on this forum have many of us advised newbie dog owners to go to rescues? the most common reply is ''I want a pup, so I can watch it grow know its history, and train it my way''. There is a market for rescue pups - and I dont think you can judge rescue adults against rescue pups. If your going for an adult dog you will more than likely come home with an adult dog as thats what you want, thats what you believe fits into your life style and vis versa.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2010, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by Brainless View Post
Then why are puppies in rescue homed easily?
Because many silly people think that a puppy will be easier, get on better with their dog/cat/child, so won't consider adult rescue dogs. Believe me, people are queuing up for rescue pups!

As for the health tests, fitness of the puppies, well come on...I reackon over 75% dogs owned by the british public, bought through gumtree, preloved, and your average family next door trying their hand at breeding to make a quick buck are just as bad, and these dogs fill our streets!
Jadey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-10-2010, 10:38 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
Because many silly people think that a puppy will be easier, get on better with their dog/cat/child, so won't consider adult rescue dogs. Believe me, people are queuing up for rescue pups!
Some people just don't want to get an adult dog and want a puppy. Nothing wrong with that.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2010, 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by Jadey View Post
Some people just don't want to get an adult dog and want a puppy. Nothing wrong with that.
Agreed. Nothing wrong or silly about it at all.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2010, 11:00 PM
if its early on abort and spay. Later on rehome the pups and spay mum
ATD x
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2010, 08:39 AM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
Agreed. Nothing wrong or silly about it at all.
I also agree, but if they want a rescue dog, they should be happy to take one that needs their help, should they have special "requirements" perhaps a pedigree puppy would be better.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2010, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
I also agree, but if they want a rescue dog, they should be happy to take one that needs their help, should they have special "requirements" perhaps a pedigree puppy would be better.
That may be how we see it Dawn but others dont, and I personally dont think their wrong to have requirements, we have requirements when buying from a breeder, we dont just get the first one we see. It shouldnt be any different for a rescue. I'll just be thankful that their going to a rescue instead of buying from irresponsible breeders.
we all know adding a new dog to a family is a big responsibility, and if people have requirements to make it a little easier for them, their familys and previous pets then I see know problem with it.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2010, 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by Jadey View Post
No, there's nothing wrong with it, I just think it's silly that inexperienced people think just because a cute fluffy akita pup looks like a fluffy teddy bear, they can manage to bring one up easily and it'll fit right in with their current children, pets etc with no effort at all (most get given into rescue by the time they're 7 months old from such families)
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2010, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
That may be how we see it Dawn but others dont, and I personally dont think their wrong to have requirements, we have requirements when buying from a breeder, we dont just get the first one we see. It shouldnt be any different for a rescue. I'll just be thankful that their going to a rescue instead of buying from irresponsible breeders.
we all know adding a new dog to a family is a big responsibility, and if people have requirements to make it a little easier for them, their familys and previous pets then I see know problem with it.
If adding a dog to a family was so important for many people, we wouldnt have the rescue problem we have now. Dogs are wasteful products for many, to be discarded, put into rescue and sold when the need arises.
Vicki_Ann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-10-2010, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
To those who condemn the rescues that "kill"new born puppies because they are"healthy"-Can youadvise me how you know these puppies are healthy if the background of the bitch & sire are unknown ??? No health tests done most of the time the sire is unknown, so how can you state the puppies are healthy ?? They could be brother/sister, mum/son etc

Sorry but I do support those who make the very hard decisions. The last but one bitch that was handed over(along with the father of the litter)that whelped had 4 puppies born with cleft palates, others grew up to have HD & the last of the litter died a week ago aged only 9 having been returned to the rescue after 7 years when the owners could no longer keep her(they when into sheltered housing due to ill health)She remained in the rescue for the last 2 1/2 as 7 year old GSDs are almost impossible to find homes for

Very valid point! I'm a little late in getting to this debate but have to agree that it is not as simple as killing innocent, healthy puppies.

In my time in vets I have seen dogs come in having trouble birthing because the bitch was allowed to mate with the dog down the road, and no informed decisions were made, and the poor owners went home with 1 pup out of 12 that were whelped. Some got stuck and asphyxiated, others were born with cleft palates and still others were stillborn. Heartbreaking for the owners but possibly best for the rescue situation at large as Mum was a breed that typically end up rescue!

I also have a pup of my own who was the picture of perfectly healthy at 7 weeks when I brought him home, he has HD and turned 1 yesterday. His brother also has HD with severe associated osteochondrosis.

Even when the lineage/ developmental status of a litter is known, you can't guarantee healthy pups, with an unknown lineage litter, the guarantee of health is even less.

Unfortunately, I think rescues have to think about the dogs they have, and in supporting neutering and not breeding, they must also 'walk the talk' if you like.

It's a very sad situation, but I wouldn't condemn a rescue for deciding either way on a bitch, it's very much down to the individual rescue. Either way, they are helping the bitch and doing their bit for dogs.

Abortion is a very personal issue for many people, so I don't think anyone is ever going to agree on this.
Page 6 of 21 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »