View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2009, 12:43 PM

Question for those of you with "guard" dogs or house protective dogs.

Have you ever been in a situation where you have had to have someone you know enter your property while your dogs are in there but you are not?

And what is the best way to enter a house if you are unsure how a dog will react to you a semi - stranger ie. you may have been to house before but not without owner there, and you dont know how they will react.
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2009, 01:01 PM
With my GSDs who were very protective of the house, on the rare occasion that someone needed to come in if I was not there I would put them in the bedroom where I knew they could not get out.
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2009, 01:12 PM
Thats a hard one, my guys are so friendly to everyone but very protective of the house so, i can only imagine they are even more so if i am not here.

I would have to make prior arrangements and have the dogs well out of the way if i needed someone else to come here while i wasnt here (shut in a room/crated or something)

I would never forgive myself if anything happened as i really couldnt say how they would react as i just dont know
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2009, 01:14 PM
I came home one day to find one of my GSDs was bleeding from the mouth and had lost half a front tooth. It must have been a kick. No sign of any damage though. She had run of house and garden and I assume someone tried to get in via the back garden. She was a bit of a bolshie one, though.
My last GSD was not such a good guard. I came home one day and the builder from next door put his head round the connecting fence he was replacing and happily told me he`d taken my washing in for me and put it in the kitchen.
The current one has got it right, thank heaven. She`ll let in people she knows, but not those she doesn`t.
eta - I have asked people to go in my house to pick stuff up I`ve forgotten when I`m out working. As long as the dogs know them they`re OK.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2009, 01:14 PM
I couldn't do it. My 2 are so protective of the house that it is not possible.

There are only a handful of people who can come into our garden or house without having a full-scale-dog-riot going on.

The dogs accept delivery men at the door, providing they are locked in the kitchen and I answer the door; but I'd never let anyone who wasn't one of the select few in the house without us there.
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-07-2009, 01:20 PM
I would have to keep my two out of the way, as they are very protective of the house, and would back up their bark. They even warn me hubby is coming home, but quieten down once they recognise him lol
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2009, 01:22 PM
Not sure how mine would react really. They certainly look the part and would do plenty of barking, but I think if it was someone they knew and that person were to walk in confidently then they would probably be okay. I couldn't swear to it though
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

09-07-2009, 01:24 PM
I know I wouldn't be able to do it unless I could lock Ollie in another part of the house which here would mean upstairs in a bedroom as downstairs is open plan, the only people I would feel safe with him letting in are my 2 Sons one who has moved back home and the other one although doesn't live here Ollie knows is no threat.
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2009, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the replies

Two reasons I ask...1) although mine arent paricularly protective in a week or so my mum is going to have to come in byherself....they should recognise her so all should be ok, lol!!

But 2) My friend with 2 GSDs got taken into hospital and I was asked to go in and see to her dogs....i was worried as I dont know them and wouldnt have known really how to act....except I suppose to be confident and friendly??!
Luckily her son arrived in time and i didnt have to....but one day i may.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-07-2009, 02:23 PM
I've never done it tbh. mine like to hear the sound of their own voices and make enough of a racket when the OH or my Son come home from work when I'm there. If I'm out the dogs are in the utility room which is gated, so apart from the racket visitors should be safe.
The other week I was having my boiler exchanged and some other work done it took about a week in all. Each morning after the first I left the side gate unlocked so the boilerman could let himself in and come round the back, they made a racket when he arrived but he just spent 5 minutes saying hello to them and got on with his work, I was at home though, just not with them in the garden or conservatory when he turned up.
He was very dog savvy and knew he had to bolt the gates every time he came in and went out so the dogs were safe and I do think after the first day they would have been happy with him there even If I was out.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >