Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-04-2008, 02:32 PM
Nanuq - means polar bear in Eskimo
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2008, 10:18 PM
Moet was originally Moe, from a litter of three Curly Larry and Moe, we kept his name but altered it to Moet.

21.12.1992 - 28.01.2007

Then we have FIJI (Zande Feleji) named after an American champion bred by her breeder in the states Am Ch Zande Feliji

RUFUS Jnr (after Rufus his father) Marzuku Mapenzi (Mapenzi means beloved)

KIA (just because) show name Marzuku Mwara (Mwara is intelligent)

CHICO (for no reason but he is a cheeky chap) show name Marzuku Mshinda (Mashinda is he who triumphs)

ARROW because she had a marking just like an arrow head at the top of her neck show name Marzuku Malaika (Malaika means angel she is ill named!!)

Kennel name Marzuku means blessed, which we have most certainly been.
ooberrydooberry
New Member!
Female 

29-04-2008, 09:36 PM
Luxor is named after a hotel in las vegas, we had not been back from there long, and we wanted to give her an unusual name,

Takoda is native american (soux tribe) and means Friend To Everyone - quite apt for a Newfoundland
spanielworld
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-04-2008, 09:48 PM
Jock was a rescue and called jack when we got him (didn't want Jack so needed to change it) as he loved socks we started calling him Jock the sock and it kinda stuck

Fern - well her KC name was cottonjolly so OH thought of Fern Cotton so she got called Fern

Braan - mmm difficult (he was a rescue and called Bee Bum ) we live not too far from the river Braan but had hunted high and lo for wizardly names for him as his kennel name had wizard in it

Calli (RIP) was my nickname at school
Barney (RIP) was part of OH name
Smokey (RIP) was her colour
SarahJ
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-04-2008, 09:53 PM
Dolly was after her kc name dolly daydream, herman was well looked like a herman lol, meg i wanted myfanwy but her breeder balked at the idea so the only welsh idea was Megan and little (not so little) Dudley or as his affix states sir dudley fitted him to a tee ...
myshell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-05-2008, 02:35 PM
Red is called Red because of his colour.
His breeder asked what I was going to call him she then picked his KC name "Red Wonder"
Animalcrazy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-08-2008, 07:13 PM
My dog came from a rescue centre with the name Saffie but it didn't suit her and we didn't like it either. on the short journey home her name changed to Kymm, Ky for my son Kyle, M for myself Mandy and M for my husband and daughter Michael and Michelle, we decided 3 M's would be too much. she responded to this name immediately, which being a Rhodesian Ridgeback X lab we were glad she did.
halfpenny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-08-2008, 10:54 PM
We only named 2 of our dogs as the rest were rescues.
Brono was like a baby bear when he was asleep as a pup, and Willow was a quiet, calm pup and we felt the name suited her.
They all have nick names though-
Bruno is Octpup, because when he is curled up all you can see is a mobile pair of eyebrows, like an octpus in its cave.
Willow ia Wiggly, because when she wags her tail her whole body goes.
Pepsi is GRRRY git as she growls at all the other dogs and must have the last word.
Levi is Relentless as he never gives up trying, he's very trying .
Lady is Shoulders as she has huge shoulders compared to the rest of her body.
Corrie is Spook as he constantly looks shocked.
Deli is Deli Belly, just because.......
Irish Setter Mu
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-09-2008, 01:59 PM
My 3 boys are called:

Duke - Duke was named after "Duke Nukem" a game my hubby used to play on his computer, but we liked Duke as it sounded regal!

Rusty - very original for a Irish/Red Setter I know, but I couldn't come up with anything better at the time and hubby wouldn't let me call him Milo.

Jenson - named after Jenson Button the F1 driver. Jenson is from Somerset, same as us, and hubby follows F1 and it is one of his favourite sports. Other names for Jenson included Milo (again!), DJ (as he is Duke's son - Duke Junior) and Woody (as his kennel name is Shiricyres Cedar).

I decided it was safer to name the dogs & the cats after I let him name the rabbits - we had Bugsy, Talullah, Fat Sam, Knuckles & Fizzy
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2008, 02:21 PM
Selkie are celtic sea spirits, Seals who can take off their skins to become human. Selkie was a seal pup when she was a baby but acted like a person. I thought she was a teenage girl in a sealskin... A Selkie!

Pharaoh, I wanted to call him Ramesis as he was part Pharaoh hound, but it was too hard to call on a field, so just Pharaoh stuck in the end

Jackjack was a rescue and would flinch if you said Jack or jacko, but was too old for a completely new name, so we always called him Jackjack in a singsong voice.

Kismet. Means a happy act of fate. We were looking for a puppy, a Sibe, or a Mal. We had a perfect window of time to allow the summer hols for training, but the litters we looked at were either unsuitable or already taken. We eneded up on waiting lists. It looked like fate was against us and we would have to wait another year. Suddenly along came Kismet. Perfect timing. Perfect dog. A happy act of fate.
Page 12 of 46 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 22 > Last »