Our sister sites
Our sister sites
angela82
New Member!
Female 

31-03-2016, 10:06 AM

Bavarian Mountain Hound - lead pulling

Hello All,

My name is Angela and I have a 6 month old Bavarian Mountain Hound called Dylan.

We've taken Dylan to puppy training classes and he has grasped sit, down, stay, paw, stopped jumping up and we're still working on leave and off

He's a joy to have around the house and after the puppy classes we started practising recall using a long piece of rope and the heel techniques we were taught in the class for lead walking.

Initially he was great off the lead, but recently he's stopped coming when called if something like a football/other dog/pigeon is in the proximity. So we've gone back to the long line of rope.

Also, his pulling on the lead has become very bad. I've tried a harness, but he hated wearing it (I think it rubbed behind his front legs) and it felt like it made him stronger. On the collar he makes a horrid wheezing sound when we've been out for a bit.

I've tried stopping the moment he pulls, changing direction, using treats to hold his attention, but none seem to work. After he's given the treat for walking calmly, he tries to bolt off.

I'm looking into the possibility of 1-to-1 training or an animal behaviourist to help with the pulling, as I'm concerned it could be something that my boyfriend and I are unknowingly teaching him or reinforcing that might need correcting on our parts. I am a lot more patient than my boyfriend and less concerned about the distance covered rather than walking nicely.

I've checked with the behaviourist's methods and I believe he uses the 'pack leader' principles etc, I've read some articles that completely debunk this theory and I don't want a dog that won't cuddle with us on the sofa anymore etc.

Has anyone else used a behaviourist? Or do they have any information about lead pulling. I don't really want to try a halti as in my opinion that's not really teaching him how to walk, it's just restricting him.

Oh and here are some pictures of Dylan too.

Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-03-2016, 12:07 PM
Oh he's gorgeous x
Using a harness will make him appear stronger as he's using his shoulders to pull instead of his neck but it'd definitely better for his throat. I would use the harness in conjunction with a head collar and a lead with two clips, one for the harness and one for the head collar. You can train a dog to walk to heel while on a head collar cos I've done it. Just make sure you guide with the head collar and never yank on it. His recall will still need work though so try playing hide and seek with him, suddenly duck behind bushes and trees and make him wonder where you've gone and come looking. Also while he's on his long line you can keep chopping and changing direction until he keeps up with you. Basically you're training him to keep his eye on you at all times.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

31-03-2016, 02:57 PM
At 6 months old he is reaching puberty and won't be as reliant on you as he was at first, this is the stage when everything you've taught them and everything they did straight away is binned and you are left scratching your head as to what is going on.
Also, I think you need to go back to classes, at 6 months he is just beginning to learn and also everything that you have done so far needs reinforcing because, as I have said he is beginning to reach puberty. Classes are excellent as he gets the chance to meet other dogs in a controlled environment and learns manners, plus you learn a lot about yourself and your dog with people that can help you get through the sticky patches, and there are a lot of them. Obviously look for reward based training classes, is there any reason why you can't return to the one you previously attended. Getting him back into class and both of you learning new things together will cement the bond between you, at 6 months old he has a lot more to find out about besides sit, stay and the like.
angela82
New Member!
Female 

31-03-2016, 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
At 6 months old he is reaching puberty and won't be as reliant on you as he was at first, this is the stage when everything you've taught them and everything they did straight away is binned and you are left scratching your head as to what is going on.
Also, I think you need to go back to classes, at 6 months he is just beginning to learn and also everything that you have done so far needs reinforcing because, as I have said he is beginning to reach puberty. Classes are excellent as he gets the chance to meet other dogs in a controlled environment and learns manners, plus you learn a lot about yourself and your dog with people that can help you get through the sticky patches, and there are a lot of them. Obviously look for reward based training classes, is there any reason why you can't return to the one you previously attended. Getting him back into class and both of you learning new things together will cement the bond between you, at 6 months old he has a lot more to find out about besides sit, stay and the like.
The classes I attended before I felt were a little bit disappointing. It's interesting you mentioned trying classes again though, all of the dogs in the classes first time round were very young, so naively I didn't realise people returned to the puppy classes.

I'll look into other puppy classes for him, thanks for the reassurance.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

31-03-2016, 03:17 PM
This link will help you find a decent training class in your area.
http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/trai...raining-clubs/

3 of my girls are in Gold class now, I've one in Silver and one who doesn't like going to training at all!!!
I've been going for years, and really enjoy my Sunday afternoons there, we all have a laugh at each other (especially when it all goes horribly wrong) and there is someone there to answer questions. Everybody's been where you are now, there's no shame in looking for help and working through it. The ones who give up, blame the dog, blame anyone but themselves, are the ones who should be ashamed.
angela82
New Member!
Female 

31-03-2016, 03:21 PM
Thanks very much - I won't be giving up and will definitely be getting more help. If anything I think it's mixed signals coming from my boyfriend and I, than anything Dylan is doing wrong.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

31-03-2016, 03:23 PM
At 6 months he hasn't a clue what is right and wrong really. Yes you need to sort out a blanket coverage as it were with commands and house rules, so you are both singing off the same hymm sheet and he understands what is required of him (Dylan not the boyfriend...but then again...)
angela82
New Member!
Female 

31-03-2016, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
At 6 months he hasn't a clue what is right and wrong really. Yes you need to sort out a blanket coverage as it were with commands and house rules, so you are both singing off the same hymm sheet and he understands what is required of him (Dylan not the boyfriend...but then again...)
Yes I think sometimes I forget how young he still is as he does so much stuff so well and his behaviour is generally very good. We've been so lucky as he hasn't been a chewer and his toilet training was so easy, he's a clever little thing.

I guess I just need to persevere.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

31-03-2016, 09:13 PM
Get him back to classes and be prepared to commit yourself to taking him on a regular basis till he's a lot older.
When you are out with him do mini training sessions for around 5 minutes, finish them on a positive note, ie something that comes easy to him like a sit, start with something he knows and understands, sandwich new stuff in between them. Then continue with the walk