Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
They're preaching to the wrong people. And it's really none of their business is it, just shrug your shoulders and don't waste your breath explaining.

I work for rescues and do go on about neutering quite a bit (my male isn't neutered though LOL! - scarring 'there' and unknown history - and yes, I always find myself explaininghis gruesome man bits are difficult to miss). But I go on about it because entire dogs aren't often safe in the hands of a large proportion of the British public! I've seen the Akita X collie puppys etc come through and nobody wants them .

For this reason I do firmly believe rescues should (as most are) be neutered before they get rehomed, except in some circumstances (like my Zeke). and I would hope breeders place endorsements on their puppies (pppppftt yeah right!).

Can I just ask though, isn't it dead hard keeping them apart, at the beginning or end of their seasons? That's why we (stupidly - ignorance and just following the vets advice got our female done too young - she's going to be a puppy forever, eek!) because we were leaving them alone together and I just felt like I couldn't risk it.

I blame my prude mother and all her talk of teenage pregnancy when I was 16.
Its all about management and knowing your dogs, i know that my bitch would not stand when not in season. She also gives plenty of warning that she is coming into season as she gets very sensitive and grumpy.
From when she starts to get grumpy they are not left alone together- i continue this until she has finished her season and he is not interested.

Ive only had one season with them together and it wasnt all that bad- just involved careful management and being vigilant.
It was the same when i had my male entire gsd- i had an entire bitch at the time and again its just careful management and 'knowing' your dogs.
Shani
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-01-2011, 05:09 PM
I have a four 'n' half year old wheaten terrier, he is still entire. He is soooo laid back, if he was any calmer he'd never move. (apart from when he gets scared, he panics easilly)
People have asked why he's still entire, I tell them that the vet was against it as he's too laid back as it is. (a little white lie as I've never spoken to a vet about having him 'done'.)
If people persist in asking you in a confrontational way just say " alergic to anasthetic!" that should shut them up.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by Collie Convert View Post
OMG, NO! this would make them 10 x worse...i fear i would get a breeding lecture then!
Hmm didn't think of that!

Or - it may be a long shot - you could say he's already done - their just fake ones to lull him into a false sense of security and to make him feel macho

Then you'd get funny looks - hmmmm - can't win.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
I'm afraid I would be one of those asking the questions - better to ask and perhaps prevent someone having unwanted puppies than keep quiet I think. Sorry if that offends.
You would get very short shift from me. I've owned a mixed household of entire dogs & bitches since the early 1960s & I have never had a negilgent litter(not accidental)or unplanned litter. At one time there were 3 active stud dogs living here, we had no fights between them & no dogs being affected by an inseason bitch.

People who have the same opinion as yourself, should consider first is the owner an experienced dog owner. I've owned dogs since I was 8 years of age & the only behavioural problems we have had was between two bitches, the dogs always kept themselves well out of the way. My vets know better than to even suggest neutering any of my dogs

I've currently got 4 entire males, one entire female & one spayed female. My spayed bitch was spayed because of her very odd seasons & was found to have ovarian problems when she was spayed. I will not be having my puppy bitch spayed & I do not intend to have my dogs castrated either.

Invasive operations should not be used as a form of birth control
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by Avani View Post
Maybe its because its rescues and people with rescue see first hand the problems associated with accidental litters. But if you can 100% guarantee you dog will never come into contact with an unspeyed bitch, then I don't see the problem. I am against dog vaccinations and hate it when I am questioned over and over again about my view point.

I am also involved in rescue & have had rescues in the past. They were all bitches as it happened & I had them spayed at an appropriate age & not as puppies
Blu
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-01-2011, 05:36 PM
I don't mind people asking and taking no for an answer but if they insit I say 'They won't be getting done because they are show dogs. They may get used at stud when older aslong as they pass health tests.' Usualy makes people ask questions about health testing so it helps educate them too!

One person did get anoyed at training because it's unfair her bitch can't come to training in season because there is intact dogs.. She soon got told even if all the dogs were neutered she still wouldn't be allowed in!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by Blu View Post
I don't mind people asking and taking no for an answer but if they insit I say 'They won't be getting done because they are show dogs. They may get used at stud when older aslong as they pass health tests.' Usualy makes people ask questions about health testing so it helps educate them too!

One person did get anoyed at training because it's unfair her bitch can't come to training in season because there is intact dogs.. She soon got told even if all the dogs were neutered she still wouldn't be allowed in!
And quite right too - Even Benjie tries to hump Sadie and Megan when they're in season - Megan sits on it - Sadie puts him in his place - she knows for sure she doesn't want puppies and will tell them too - teeth included! but Benj is done - RSPCA
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by Collie Convert View Post
Haha, yes i know!

It is actually mainly people that have rescues that are questioning my decision.
I think that happens a lot - you just have to look at the neutering threads on here to see some of the attitudes to entire dogs.
I have been told my boys will be aggressive, mark in the house, Hump everything in site.

I have been told on this forum I should not be letting them off lead as I cannot control them - and that's people who have never even met them!!

Each to their own IMO.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by TomtheLurcher View Post
I feel so bad about getting Tom done but was given no choice , it has made no difference to him in terms of behaviour but the resue made it mandatory , I kinda feel I should have challenged that, i had no intention of him becoming available as a stud so why did I have to agree to the snip !
With respect, the rescue can't take peoples word on this. I foster dogs for a rescue and they do not rehome unless neutered or spayed - to prevent the dogs being used for breeding which i think is the responsible thing to do. The reason i suspect its mainly people with rescue dogs is because they see so many dogs in rescues as a result of "accidental" breeding etc
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
You would get very short shift from me. I've owned a mixed household of entire dogs & bitches since the early 1960s & I have never had a negilgent litter(not accidental)or unplanned litter. At one time there were 3 active stud dogs living here, we had no fights between them & no dogs being affected by an inseason bitch.

People who have the same opinion as yourself, should consider first is the owner an experienced dog owner. I've owned dogs since I was 8 years of age & the only behavioural problems we have had was between two bitches, the dogs always kept themselves well out of the way. My vets know better than to even suggest neutering any of my dogs

I've currently got 4 entire males, one entire female & one spayed female. My spayed bitch was spayed because of her very odd seasons & was found to have ovarian problems when she was spayed. I will not be having my puppy bitch spayed & I do not intend to have my dogs castrated either.

Invasive operations should not be used as a form of birth control
What to do then, get doggy condoms thats a thought maybe i should invent some and patent it !!!!!
Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »