Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2007, 04:28 PM

Dog Door/Flap help

We have recently had a dog flap/door fitted for Teagan, as Kev has a new job, and she can't come to the shop every day with me.

Teagan can use the door to get in and out - which she does if we are with her, but she won't use it when we are out!
I was out ALL day yesterday, and she hadn't been outside all day (she didn't go to the toilet before I left either, so she went when I got home - through the dog flap!)

Can anyone give us any hints/tips/advice on how to help Teagan realise she can use the door whenever she needs to - even if we aren't at home!

I have left yummy treats outside the door - still there when I get home!

I left her outside when I nipped out today - and she was inside when I got home, about an hour later, so she obviously used it to come in......but won't go outside if we aren't in the room with her, or outside ourselves!
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2007, 08:13 PM
When I got my first dog flap, many moons ago, I cellotaped the flap open so that they could go in and out as they pleased and they gradually learned to use it when the flap was down. New dogs that I've introduced have just copied the others.

I know Teagan doesn't have this problem as she knows how to use it, I just wonder if leaving it open, (whilst we've got some decent weather), might encourage her to go in and out more.

Hope she gets sorted out
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2007, 09:09 PM
I agree with Sheree, prop it open for a couple of days. It literally only took Cassie 2 or 3 days to completely suss it out
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2007, 07:01 AM
Thankyou, I will give that a try!!