Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
In all situations in which I have seen this sort of in pack fight, or dog attacking a weakness or strangeness in another, the other dogs do pile in and with respect to the poster of the other thread, we don't know that the other dogs were not involved in that case either... One dog was covered in blood. But that doesn't mean that the other dogs had not got hold of the back or legs and just avoided getting as bloody.

I have seen this sort of attack numerous times both in my own pack and on the field among other dogs. To be honest I find it surprising that someone with a multi dog household and as normally so understanding about dog behaviour as yourself has not. I'm not a dog expert, maybe its something more common with the more primal breeds like huskies and greyhounds... Maybe it's more a big dog thing.. Or maybe there is some aspect of your training and the way you run your pack that means you have never seen it in your dogs.

The situation in the other post, though desperately tragic is genuinely something that could happen to any of us, and probably does more often than is reported... I will hold my hand up and say that I have witnessed two of my dogs attack another member of the pack in a way that may well have been to the death if I had not intervened, or if I had not been there, and yet I sit here now with them all curled up together, none of them hated, none of them destroyed.
I have never said it couldnt happen, what I have said is I wouldnt tolerate a dog that did it. We must as owners, act responsibly and manage our dogs in a way which limits the chance of such occurrances.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
In the situation we had ALL the dogs piled in---including my friends GSD's. Fortunately we were all three here and the dogs were obedient enough to come off----except the terrier which carried on when in mid air!

How very DARE you even suggest you know that the other dogs didn't have anything to do with it! You were not there and nor was anyone else.

rune
Oh stop it Lynne, You ought to direct YOUR aggression towards Zoe as she was the one that said the other dogs had nothing to do with it, or maybe you chose to not see that bit!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 01:12 PM
Right---so you would consider your cats to be members of your pack/family. You think dogs have a concept of family?

rune
I think dogs know what they are allowed to chase in their own homes, yes of course! However, an animal kept seperate and is something they are kept away from and told they cannot touch in their own home, will always be something of "interest"
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 01:13 PM
Bitches that kill pups are not pts----there are excuses made for them.

rune
Do the bitches kill adults too?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I think sometimes other factors take over, as we have seen many a time on here, no they dont "normally" go round killing each other, but we do know that dogs that have lived happily for yrs together can suddenly fall out, and in some cases one will kill another, by intent or accident, we will never know that.

I agree though , with the views that I could never see the dog in the same light or want it in my home, I would not blame the dog, but I probably have it PTS>
I never blamed the Dog Jackbox, like you I have no "blame" to attach to him. My point was before I was even crueler than before was I personally would never leave a frail, elderly dog in the presence of young ones alone when Im out.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
During a fight (If dogs have an argument) the difference in a 1cm can can be the difference between a flesh wound and a mortal one.

Unless you would not accept any kind of blood shed between dogs?
They (our dogs) never shed blood, read the post again. Their fight consisted of a lot of noise & one would put the other down on its back & hold it down physically for a short time.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
They (our dogs) never shed blood, read the post again. Their fight consisted of a lot of noise & one would put the other down on its back & hold it down physically for a short time.
thats not really a fight imo.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
During a fight (If dogs have an argument) the difference in a 1cm can can be the difference between a flesh wound and a mortal one.

Unless you would not accept any kind of blood shed between dogs?
No, the difference is that VelvetBoxers dogs had no intention of killing eachother. When a dog does what she explains thats "normal" dog behaviour. The Collie was a female, killed by a male, unusual anyway, but she didnt have a puncture wound with a wrongly placed tooth mark, she was ripped to bits!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
thats not really a fight imo.
Thats correct, but it only takes a misplaced tooth!!!!!!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
It was not to do with your post specifically - I was talking about dogs fighting in general.
I am glad yours never drew blood from each other.

I call that an argument, not a fight.

Again - if you had dogs who had a fight (once) and there was blood, would you have the dog who instigated it pts?
Page 9 of 56 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 > Last »