Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
They have said they have seen dogs fighting, not the same thing as ripping an old dogs throat out. When i showed & my dogs were entire i had two males who fought. They would put each other "down" on their backs but thats as far as it went. It was always the same one that started it.
Nope----three people (maybe more) including me have said that they think that had they not been there one dog would have been killed.

rune
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-01-2011, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
Well done rune for starting this thread.

I think, on the other thread, people were being too anthopomorphically emotional. I appreciate that the subject is hugely emotive & all of us may feel differently about it. But at least on this thread we can try to be more objective & perhaps debate things more sensibly.

I don't, for one minute, think that dogs, cats or other predators, have a concept that we humans call "murder". Killing of other animals, be they of the same species or a different species, is usually either a predatory behaviour, in which case we can hardly expect these normal, hard-wired instinctive behaviours to be completely masked by domestication, training & a full tummy. It's up to us to manage these situations. Or based on fear, possibly fear of the unknown, fear of very strange behaviour in another same-species animal, fear of being attacked by a fitting animal, fear of the noises made by an animal in pain etc etc.

Very rarely in domestic dogs, fights to the death, or at least inflicting severe injury, are caused by competition over resources, e.g. the right to mate, the protection of young, protection of territory. Dogs are social creatures & have developed communication systems to give warning signs to prevent such conflicts. Even a couple of dogs scrapping over a bone are unlikely to fight to the death & any severe injuries would possibly be caused by an unlucky bite to the jugular or something, rather than a pre-meditated & deliberate act to kill.

Dogs are biologically pre-disposed to be social creatures & to communicate with each other via body language, vocalisation, sight & scent. Their communication systems are relatively sophisticated compared to lots of other more solitary species ~ so maybe, when for reasons unknown to us, & completely out of context & perhaps frighteningly for the dogs, these communication systems go wrong, just maybe, it is a HUGE thing for some dogs. It could be so scary that they feel the need to attack & maybe this is heightened even more by the fact that this behaviour is coming from a dog that they thought they knew very well, & found very predictable. I don't always like human analogies because of the risk of anthropomorphism, but imagine how you'd feel if your mother/father/son/best friend etc suddenly turned on you waving a gun/axe (substitute mouthful of sharp teeth for a dog). This would almost be worse that getting attacked by a psychopathic stranger or a drugged up junkie, or surprising a burglar!

And then if you consider some other species in the feline world, infanticide is rife. Male lions & male cats will kill young offspring that they haven't sired, solely to bring the female into oestrus so they can mate & pass on their own genes. This would be absolutely abhorrent in the human world, but is an evolutionary successful & completely normal behaviour in the feline world.

IMO if we allow our pets to be together unsupervised, then we take those risks ~ but personally I'd rather allow my dogs the comfort of company of their own species, than separate them when I'm not around. And my cats also mix freely with the dogs when I'm not around. It's a risk I'm prepared to take for their well-being & happiness.
Agree absolutely

Dogs are our treasured pets and 'family members' but they are and will always remain animals with hundreds of years of natural traits many latent but never the less there and ready to surface on rare occasions in some dogs when a particular set of circumstances arise.

You can take every precaution and preempt every possibility on the off chance your dog might be subject to one of those rare occasions (and I do this where small children are concerned) but I think it is practical impossible to foresee every eventuality and to guard against it.
I think if you wish to have animals this is something you have to accept.

If my own dog killed a cat I would be devastated just as my niece was when a visiting friend left her JRT in the garden and it broke into the pen and killed the Guinea Pigs but I would not have my dog PTS.
Likewise if a dog of mine killed another dog I would feel guilty and devastated but I would not have my dog put down. I would however having been forewarned do my best to ensure such an event never happened again.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 01:27 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
No, the difference is that VelvetBoxers dogs had no intention of killing eachother.

And you know that how?

When a dog does what she explains thats "normal" dog behaviour. The Collie was a female, killed by a male, unusual anyway, but she didnt have a puncture wound with a wrongly placed tooth mark, she was ripped to bits!

You of all people should know that lurchers shake and go on shaking when they are allowed to hunt.

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 01:29 PM
I have never said it couldnt happen, what I have said is I wouldnt tolerate a dog that did it. We must as owners, act responsibly and manage our dogs in a way which limits the chance of such occurrances.
'Tolerate'---what a wierd word to use about a dog you love.

rune
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
You of all people should know that lurchers shake and go on shaking when they are allowed to hunt.

rune
Oh really? Then why do they bring Rabbits back live to hand? Why do they (before the ban) bring Deer to bay? Same as staghounds? They work to fill the pot so to speak, you wouldnt what one that trashed anything. I think you are getting confused with those who use "bull" in their breeding for specifically killing Foxes. They use the Bull to rag and kill, cos thats what they were bred for!

All sighthounds were bred to fill the pot, no good if its already minced!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
thats not really a fight imo.
Unpleasant. I take your point tho...
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 01:32 PM
I never blamed the Dog Jackbox, like you I have no "blame" to attach to him. My point was before I was even crueler than before was I personally would never leave a frail, elderly dog in the presence of young ones alone when Im out.
So you admit that it is something that could happen between dogs - especially in this situation?

But you avoid the possibility of it happening by separating, I get that you are blaming the owners, I would expect nothing less from you.

However - you are happy to feel that because (IYO) the owners failed, the dog should pay the price.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
'Tolerate'---what a wierd word to use about a dog you love.

rune
Is it? well thats the one Im using, Im happy with that thanks.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-01-2011, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
Teagan attacked Kingsley, and would have killed him if I wasn't there to intervene (this is years ago now).
I hated her for a while, but there was no way I was getting rid of her!
I forgave her, because afterall, she's a dog and obviously did it for a reason (even if the reason is unbeknown to me).
Hevvur I remember the occasion well. It was Christmas time and I think all those of us who read your posts at that time were shocked and sickened by the events but you acted calmly and logically and both dogs were able to continue with their lives .
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
So you admit that it is something that could happen between dogs - especially in this situation?

But you avoid the possibility of it happening by separating, I get that you are blaming the owners, I would expect nothing less from you.

However - you are happy to feel that because (IYO) the owners failed, the dog should pay the price.
Am I off "ignore?" (kidding )

Well Im pleased I met your expectations, sadly in the past you have not! But lets not dwell on that!

I stand by everything I said. If I had an elderly, frail dog that in this instance was showing signs of age and slowing down, it would not under any circumstances be left with younger active dogs that were likely to get wound up while I was out, no, absolutely not! At the very least Id be concerned it could be knocked about if they started playing at least.

Nor would I keep dogs crated in the house, no, absolutely not!

If I did ever have a dog that killed another one of my dogs, yes it would be PTS, I wouldnt tolerate it no.
Page 10 of 56 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 20 > Last »