View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-08-2011, 06:18 PM
& when then we are away, the neighbours tell me that she barks, and barks, and barks......

But they tell me that they are not bothered (luckily)
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2011, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by Deb/Pugglepup View Post
& when then we are away, the neighbours tell me that she barks, and barks, and barks......

But they tell me that they are not bothered (luckily)

Your neighbours may not be bothered but can it be a good thing if your dog barks all day?
lou1
New Member!
Female 

23-08-2011, 07:34 PM
my jack russell suffered with seperation anxiety and, I tried everything from herbal remedies to zyclon none of which helped him. I have got a spray collar which does work and, is not harmful it is a year on now he still wears the collar when I go out but I dont actually turn it on anymore!! (but he doesnt know that ) I also got another dog which has helped him but, I understand not everyone can do that. It will be along process but just leave him for short periods and most important do not make a fuss of them when you get home. (this just makes the dog believe that they cant cope without you ) lots of luck
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2011, 07:07 AM
It's important to video and carefully watch any suspected separation related problems

Behaviourist Sarah Whitehead often spends an evening with a glass of wine watching a long client video recording of their dog, because it can give important clues. So no fast forwarding!

For example, dogs can become overly attached to just one person in the family (as opposed to being afraid of being left alone, per se) or the cause might be noise, something that happens when the owner goes out, etc.

It's always very important to understand why it is happening - otherwise the chance of sorting it out is very slim. For example if a dog is barking and anxious due to kids teasing it through the letter box on their way home, no amount of going out and coming back for gradually longer periods, or desensitising to keys, putting on of coats, shoes etc will really help ...

Wys
x
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-08-2011, 06:46 PM
Sorry I have not replied, my laptop decided to go onto melt down!!

Molly and Mindy are left for 4 hours (at the very most) during the day. Mine and my OH's shifts overlap. My 23 year old daughter also lives at home.

She hates it when we both go out and leave her with the dogs. She says that Mindy just causes a nuisance when we are away. If I come home from work first, my front room is an obliteration of everything!! The dogs have LOADS of toys, balls, bones etc, but Mindy will have ripped up the newspaper, magazines, books and anything else which she can get hold of!! Our living room and dining room are open plan, but has not yet chewed any furniture. (Luckily).

I really don't know what to do. I have provided them with an abundance of toys, thinking that she may be bored, but I come home to the same mess every day. This is definitely because she has been left.

Please HELP

Thanks

Debs x

Lou, What is a spray collar?
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2