View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2008, 02:37 PM
Humm...After watching him catch a Weimeraner that jumped up and pin it (I belive it was attention seeking through mouthing at the owners) my opinion dropped...

I'm sure he would hate me, hate my methods and hate my dogs....one not only sleeps on the bed but actually in it
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2008, 02:46 PM
I don't think I have seen that episode Tassle. I will watch out for it though.

I think with most trainers, I agree with some parts and not with others.

I have a couple of Leerburg DVDs - which most people would probably baulk at, but some of the advice (I think) is absolutely spot on. However, I don't agree with the use of prong and electric collars, so I just use the bits that I am happy with.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2008, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
Is it definitely the real Mic Martin, Shona?! That's exciting if it is! I'd seen the user name Mic Martin but didn't think it was him!
yup, its him
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2008, 02:59 PM
I have PM'd him with the link to this thread ... although I have doubts whether he will actually join in the chat or not.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2008, 03:05 PM
He seems to like working breeds that can take firm training methods, Flat Coats,in my opinion and experience, don't do well if people treat them that way
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2008, 03:07 PM
I think he's fair to the dogs. I've seen the one with the Weim and that's the most physical I've ever seen him get. I prefer his methods to the rattle bottle.

Can someone give a link to the article mentioned?
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2008, 04:27 PM
[QUOTE=Sarah27;1528452]I like him because he's tough and treats dogs as dogs. I find it a bit off putting though when he dismisses a dog just because of it's breed.

RE positive training methods - that's really good if you have the dog from a puppy and use positive training consistently from the start. But sometimes with older dogs who have behavioural problems, either through mistreatment or because of the situation they have lived in, then positive training on it's own will not work.[/QUOTE]

Absolutly do not agree. If a dog has had a mixed past then surely kindness and postive methods are even more important!!! Tonks is my first puppy, last was a rescued dog and positive methods were just as, even not more important for him. I never met a dog who has not responded to positive training methods. I have been treaching and assisting at classes ranging from puppy to adult beginners for 15 years and have never seen a dog positive methods did not work for.

I have seen owners who refuse to give positive methods a chance. The behaviourist i work for deals with dogs with such a wide range of difficulties and issues and he only ever uses postive methods. I think if you really really understand dogs, the cause of behaviour and the science behind changing behaviour you would never use anything but postive methods.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2008, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
He seems to like working breeds that can take firm training methods, Flat Coats,in my opinion and experience, don't do well if people treat them that way
He certainly seems to have a preference for working dogs - and I guess those are the breeds he has most experience with. However, I wouldn't say he is unfair to other breeds. I saw a repeat last night where he was training two women to train their Yorkshire Terriers and he was great with them. I think because the owners were prepared to put the work in, then he supported them all the way.

Do you see many Flatcoats as gundogs?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2008, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by cava14una View Post
Can someone give a link to the article mentioned?
I would like to read it too
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2008, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
Absolutly do not agree. If a dog has had a mixed past then surely kindness and postive methods are even more important!!! Tonks is my first puppy, last was a rescued dog and positive methods were just as, even not more important for him. I never met a dog who has not responded to positive training methods. I have been treaching and assisting at classes ranging from puppy to adult beginners for 15 years and have never seen a dog positive methods did not work for.

I have seen owners who refuse to give positive methods a chance. The behaviourist i work for deals with dogs with such a wide range of difficulties and issues and he only ever uses postive methods. I think if you really really understand dogs, the cause of behaviour and the science behind changing behaviour you would never use anything but postive methods.
I am afraid I am going to disagree. I think where positive only methods work that is absolutely great and if the dog needs no correction at all, fine. However, there are lots and lots of dogs out there who would stick two fingers up at you if you only trained with positive methods. I know, I have had one I think you need to tailor your training to suit the temperament and drives of your dog. Many hard dogs need some correction as well as reward, distraction etc etc.

I also do find it a little patronising to say that "if you really really understand dogs, the cause of behaviour and the science behind changing behaviour you would never use anything but positive methods".

I occasionally use correction on my dogs, not that often to be honest, but occasionally. I have trained my dogs to a high level of obedience as well as the collies to herd. My dogs are my best mates, they are well trained, well behaved and happy ambassadors for their breed. I am happy using occasional correction and don't agree that because of this I don't understand my own dogs. JMO
Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »