View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-11-2008, 06:01 AM
Never heard of him... Maybe because I'm in Australia?
red collar
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-11-2008, 10:00 AM
Maybe it is just the editing *dunno* but he is the only trainer on DB or any other show who is shown paying so much attention to basic dog care.

He's the one you see most often in the kitchen area telling the owner to clean the bowls properly. That sort of care goes a long way with me

I've seen lots of photos of people's dogs on different forums where the bowls are manky, the dog's nails are too long, the ears are gummed up with gunk etc. I think Mic is hot on that sort of basic care, so he gets my vote.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2008, 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by red collar View Post
Maybe it is just the editing *dunno* but he is the only trainer on DB or any other show who is shown paying so much attention to basic dog care.

He's the one you see most often in the kitchen area telling the owner to clean the bowls properly. That sort of care goes a long way with me

I've seen lots of photos of people's dogs on different forums where the bowls are manky, the dog's nails are too long, the ears are gummed up with gunk etc. I think Mic is hot on that sort of basic care, so he gets my vote.
I totally agree with what you say here, Red Collar, couldn't have put it beter myself.

Some of the owners you see on Dog Borstal are lazy articles who need a good kick up the backside, so to speak!

I like the way he tells them to get their act together and clean up after their dog. I also like the way he teaches handling of the dog when grooming/at the vets etc and also tells them straight about dog nutrition and breeding of dogs - remember the couple not so long ago with the two Papillons? Argh! He soon put them straight!

Like you say, this sort of training on basic care goes a long way and most of these owners need a short, sharp shock in the way of Mic!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2008, 10:23 AM
After reading a recent artical where he said that permissive owners and trainers who do not discipline or correct their dogs are causing loads of problems and a correction is needed to get a well trained dog I don't think much of him. I think his artical was full of sweeping statements and gives no credit to the thousands or well behaved dogs who have been raised well using positive methods, counter commands, distraction, ignoring and praise who are well rounded and have self control and whose owners do not need to resort to correction.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2008, 11:37 AM
I read that article and I took the correction to take the form of voice and insistence on the desired behaviour - not punishment. This is just my interpretation of course - anyone here been to one of his classes?
Different dogs need different methods. Daisy is an arrogant bitch who was never been taught manners or respect for people till I got her. Shamus is a sensitive soul who mistrusts people. One method would never work with both dogs - and a trainer wouldn`t know this till he or she got to know them. That`s why I`m deeply suspicious of all these miracle cures on Dog Training programmes on TV.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2008, 12:32 PM
I would to go to training classes with Mic!
I think he would really help me with Teagans problems.
I also like the way he seems to care about the general welfare of the dogs.

I havent watched the latest series of Dog Borstal, but I liked the fact that in the old series, he seemed to be the only one who didn't resort to rattle bottles!!
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2008, 12:49 PM
I like him because he's tough and treats dogs as dogs. I find it a bit off putting though when he dismisses a dog just because of it's breed.

RE positive training methods - that's really good if you have the dog from a puppy and use positive training consistently from the start. But sometimes with older dogs who have behavioural problems, either through mistreatment or because of the situation they have lived in, then positive training on it's own will not work.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2008, 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Nope, he'd hate Flat Coats I suspect....I would love to meet and work with the lady trainer though
What makes you think he would hate flatties, Ailsa?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2008, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
mic martins a member on here, im not sure your ment to have threads about members... but im sure he wouldnt mind... you could pm him the link
Oops - I started the thread. I will search for his username and PM him the link
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2008, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
After reading a recent artical where he said that permissive owners and trainers who do not discipline or correct their dogs are causing loads of problems and a correction is needed to get a well trained dog I don't think much of him. I think his artical was full of sweeping statements and gives no credit to the thousands or well behaved dogs who have been raised well using positive methods, counter commands, distraction, ignoring and praise who are well rounded and have self control and whose owners do not need to resort to correction.
I understand what you are saying Catrin, but I think Mic also has a point. I do feel that many dogs do need correction as well as reward, distraction etc. Not all dogs, much depends on the breed of dog, its temperament and very importantly its drives.
Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »