View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2008, 04:45 PM
I am not thinking of when Dogs were used and worked into the ground, if you want to take stuff out with you, carry it yourself, dont get the poor Dog to do it!
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2008, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
I am not thinking of when Dogs were used and worked into the ground, if you want to take stuff out with you, carry it yourself, dont get the poor Dog to do it!
Why the evil face, that's rather offensive, implying I am cruel to my dogs !!

These dogs, and most others, change into a happy, focused dog, when backpacking, it's something you have to see.

If you are working a dog in the capacity it was originally bred, how can that be a bad thing Dawn ?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2008, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
Why the evil face, that's rather offensive, implying I am cruel to my dogs !!

These dogs, and most others, change into a happy, focused dog, when backpacking, it's something you have to see.

If you are working a dog in the capacity it was originally bred, how can that be a bad thing Dawn ?
Well considering the OP has a Cocker Spaniel, think about it? Retrieve the Duck, then put it in the backpack to bring home? Dont think so Malady. You can do whatever you like with your Dogs, but if I take mine out, I wont expect them to carry a thing, I enjoy them for what they are, not what they can do. It wasnt an evil face, it was a mad one, because personally I think the things should be banned.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2008, 04:59 PM
Well considering the OP has a Cocker Spaniel, think about it? Retrieve the Duck, then put it in the backpack to bring home? Dont think so Malady. You can do whatever you like with your Dogs, but if I take mine out, I wont expect them to carry a thing, I enjoy them for what they are, not what they can do. It wasnt an evil face, it was a mad one, because personally I think the things should be banned.
Actually I didn't spend an awful lot of money for backpacks, so that my dogs could do work for me, I spent that money, so that their own lives could be more enriched by having a job to do, which is what they thrive on.

And I do enjoy my dogs for what they are....PETS........and NOT what they can do for me............How dare you imply otherwise, you really are something else !

It's one thing to have an opinion Dawn, it's quite another to basically call people CRUEL for working their dogs in the job they were intended to do for their own satisfaction.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2008, 05:22 PM
Actually I didn't spend an awful lot of money for backpacks, so that my dogs could do work for me, I spent that money, so that their own lives could be more enriched by having a job to do, which is what they thrive on.

And I do enjoy my dogs for what they are....PETS........and NOT what they can do for me............How dare you imply otherwise, you really are something else !

It's one thing to have an opinion Dawn, it's quite another to basically call people CRUEL for working their dogs in the job they were intended to do for their own satisfaction.
Hang on one cotton picking minute!! Who said cruel? YOU DID not me! Do you really think your dogs lives are enriched buy putting things on their backs? Do you really think because its a Mal that they "know" they used to do this all those years ago? Should we be tying them up ouside with no shelter aswell?? Im all for pulling sleds etc.. but bags on backs? certainly not for me.

Dont try to make out I said you were cruel, I didnt!
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2008, 05:23 PM
I bought one for Jed from Crufts last year, got a medium sized one and it was way too small! I forgot he's a larger collie!

It's something which is on my list to purchase but they dont go on lead walks often so not sure if it's a waste of money. I assume they dont wear the back packs off lead?

I think for those of us with working type dogs, back packs can be beneficial. If the dogs arent used for what they were bred for, they need some other job to do. Some dogs even carry the newspaper from the shop because they've taken it on as their duty so I dont think a back pack is unkind unless it's overloaded.

I would hate to see a dog walking down the street, buckling under the weight like some mule but as long as they seem happy with it on their backs and the weight isnt too much then I dont see a problem.
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2008, 05:28 PM
Erm can I just point out that Mals were bred to pull heavy loads over long distances, not to carry them on their backs *hides*

Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2008, 05:29 PM
For the WPD Titles they have to carry backpacks to get their title

http://www.shca.org/shcahp6e.htm
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2008, 05:33 PM
Actually Dawn, this is what you said :

if you want to take stuff out with you, carry it yourself, dont get the poor Dog to do it!
You can do whatever you like with your Dogs, but if I take mine out, I wont expect them to carry a thing, I enjoy them for what they are, not what they can do.
Both implying that I force something on my dogs that they either dont like or that is harmful to them, you know damn well what you said Dawn, don't skirt around the issue now.

Hang on one cotton picking minute!! Who said cruel? YOU DID not me! Do you really think your dogs lives are enriched buy putting things on their backs? Do you really think because its a Mal that they "know" they used to do this all those years ago? Should we be tying them up ouside with no shelter aswell?? Im all for pulling sleds etc.. but bags on backs? certainly not for me.
Actually Dawn, yes MANY breeds carry through INHERANT INSTINCTS.............you know the things that 'makes' a Greyhound 'chase', a Terrier 'go to ground' etc etc.; They are not taught things, they are instincts.

OK so a Mal doesn't put on a backpack, but it's not like using them for slavery you know, it's something they enjoy and thrive on, and I take it personally when someone (Namely YOU) implies that I force something on my dogs that they don't enjoy or is harmful to them, as you think they should be banned !!

As for tying them up outside, I think you will find, that most Mals actually enjoy being outside all the time. Mine certainly do and I've had to drag them in by the collars before now, so I can go to bed, as I'm too scared of them being stolen, but if they had it their way, they would live outside yes, but I suppose that's cruel too eh ??

Dawn you know nothing about the breed, truly, so don't preach to people about what they should or should not have, or how they liike to be treated or what they thrive on.

I've never seen such ignorance !
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2008, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by Greyhawk View Post
Erm can I just point out that Mals were bred to pull heavy loads over long distances, not to carry them on their backs *hides*

I'm well aware of that Kirsty, but I'm fairly angry right now, as Dawn has implied I'm being cruel to my dogs, so splitting hairs really doesn't help the situation.

Mals also carried things, not on sleds, for their tribesmen too I might add, so although they were primarily sled dogs, they did carry too.
Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »