Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2008, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by Benzmum View Post
Just back from a wander round the park, am trying to take him to park more often just now so he can meet or at least see more dogs.

We are now going looking for dogs rather than turning heel and exiting quickly

Anyway we saw a man with a lovely GSD who was on leaad as was Ben we started to walk towards him and the man shouted "he's not very good with other dogs would you mind...." I just said no worries and cut down the side of the play park, Ben was certainly interested but no pulling on lead and was listening to me

We then met a very bouncy happy ESS who bounded towards Ben at a rate of knots whilst ignoring his owner completely Ben was wary and stiffened up but nop growl and no pulling and no lunging (this time as soon as he foccussed on my voice rather than the fast approaching bullet I took out his new toy (Ben says thanks Shona ) a tug ball and started to play with him with that the other dog stayed about 1 m away and Ben was more interested in tug ball than dog - SUCCESS!! We carried on round park to meet a very barky snappy JRT and same again and we walked past with no incident. Then on route home we met a westie come out of one of the houses (am sure it is the same one I pmd Shona about last night and as soon as Ben began to stiffen (or at least as soon as I noticed it!!) I firmly said no, he looked at me and walked past without any incident he did look back once but no pulling to follow or similar.

I have to say I did get slightly tense when I saw the Westie but conciously did not tighten the lead so I guess me and Ben definitely both learning but so far the improvement is fantastic. I don't feel sick when I see another dog which was happening before
Im so proud and pleased for you both, well done,
its good your using the diff distractions rather than the food, the voice or the ball all the time, that way it keeps things intreasting for ben,

your well on the road to recovery now x
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2008, 05:17 PM
Great news there Lynne,well done to you and Ben,xxxxxxxx
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-02-2008, 05:26 PM
I'm so pleased you had a really good day with Ben and that you are no longer feeling sick when you see another dog.

Keep up the good work, we are all behind you.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2008, 12:24 PM
Hi Lynne, just wondered how things are going?
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2008, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post

Hi Shona,

Back at work today so won't know till tonight as this mornings walk was totally uneventful didnt see anything with more than 2 legs!!!

Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2008, 05:01 PM
Pretty much the same today Walking much better even when he sees other dogs. We didnt actually get close to any today but we played with tug ball and used cheese as treats.

Will go out later and see if we can find some other doggies that are nearby!!!
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2008, 08:35 AM
Well its been a good couple of days. Ben seems to be accepting that he has to share the world with other dogs!!! I am much better (I think) at keeping a loose lead even when I see another dog and use distraction to keep Ben looking/listening to me.

My next step to overcome will be when/if another dog comes bounding up to and into Ben either wanting to play boisterous or because it doesn't like other dogs!!(I know Shona....its not like me to think of the worst case scenario is it !!!!)

But definitely so far so good. We have also gone back to practising basic commands so he is used to listening to me and getting praise. Am going to go to woods or hills near us this weekend and see how many dogs we can be friendly with. Will post pics (and will get video Shona!!)

Am very pleased and proud of Ben the last 2 weeks

Was watching Denis's video of training classes and althoufh its a bit far to go every week OH has agreed to drive me through if we are off work on hols so don't know when but we will be letting Ben loose on you all again. Still hope to go back through for another walk with you all over the next couple of weekends aswell
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2008, 02:16 PM
Hi Lynne so glad your still feeling possitive about things, in the situation of another dog coming up {given that its friendly!} do what I do, calm ben, but also be welcoming to the other dog, I often if I have a treat in my hand will tell a dog who comes running over to sit, then treat both dogs, if the owner doesnt like it TOUGH they shouldnt let it run up to people, {I already know ben is ok with other dogs being close when food is on the go, but you dont really know how a strange dog will behave, as your not confident with this I dont think you should treat next to you if both dogs sit and behave, throw the food away for the other dog and then treat ben,

as with aggression, try to step in and defend ben rather than leaving him to take control, had ben shown real aggression on the walk {which he didnt} I could have shown you how my dogs will look to me to deal with things, but it just didnt happen, my advice would be,,do you best to keep ben out of situations like that, his confidence is week so it would be right back to square one, if you do make the training club I will show you how to deal with a not so friendly dog running up x
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2008, 02:25 PM
Hi Lynne so glad your still feeling possitive about things, in the situation of another dog coming up {given that its friendly!} do what I do, calm ben, but also be welcoming to the other dog, I often if I have a treat in my hand will tell a dog who comes running over to sit, then treat both dogs, if the owner doesnt like it TOUGH they shouldnt let it run up to people, {I already know ben is ok with other dogs being close when food is on the go, but you dont really know how a strange dog will behave, as your not confident with this I dont think you should treat next to you if both dogs sit and behave, throw the food away for the other dog and then treat ben,

as with aggression, try to step in and defend ben rather than leaving him to take control, had ben shown real aggression on the walk {which he didnt} I could have shown you how my dogs will look to me to deal with things, but it just didnt happen, my advice would be,,do you best to keep ben out of situations like that, his confidence is week so it would be right back to square one, if you do make the training club I will show you how to deal with a not so friendly dog running up x
Thanks Shona. Just back from the woods near me which is great place we met a few dogs all of whom were perfectly behaved except for a very VERY vocal GSD Bens hackles went up but I just talked to him and got out tug ball - I think he was scared rather than wanting to have a go (says me the expert eh? lol lol) but he was more interested in tug than attacking and we were about a metre away the GSD was on lead as was Ben and the GSD kept looking back but Ben and I just kept playing tug!!

The rest of the dogs we met were great and one black labs owner (black lab off lead ) made theer dog sit and wait and asked if they could come and speak to Ben, who of course was delighted by this and got treats while the poor lab just had to sit and watch!! She was really nice and said it would just take time when I felt the ned to explain why Ben was on lead

We will definitely come through to your club sometime I just don't know when as I don't finish till 6 so it would really need to be when I'm off on hols. But will get through for another walk in the next couple of weeks.

Will go to woods again tomorrow as they are near mums and will remember video camera and you can see how he and me are.

Thanks for the advice about other dogs...would honestly never have thought of throwing treat for other dog - sounds simple when you think about it

xx
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2008, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by Benzmum View Post
Thanks Shona. Just back from the woods near me which is great place we met a few dogs all of whom were perfectly behaved except for a very VERY vocal GSD Bens hackles went up but I just talked to him and got out tug ball - I think he was scared rather than wanting to have a go (says me the expert eh? lol lol) but he was more interested in tug than attacking and we were about a metre away the GSD was on lead as was Ben and the GSD kept looking back but Ben and I just kept playing tug!!

Great at least he has not gone back to snapping and lunging, x

The rest of the dogs we met were great and one black labs owner (black lab off lead ) made theer dog sit and wait and asked if they could come and speak to Ben, who of course was delighted by this and got treats while the poor lab just had to sit and watch!! She was really nice and said it would just take time when I felt the ned to explain why Ben was on lead

When we were at Plean country park, I let the labs in the car park come right up to ben,, he can be near others you know this now,, but if your still not 100% confident dont do it, but that said dont stay in the rut of keeping dogs a few feet away from him forever,,, he needs to move on, but only with dogs that are 100% like our lot, { we will work on the close up stuff next time, } so not to rush you, its best im there when moving on to somit new,,,

We will definitely come through to your club sometime I just don't know when as I don't finish till 6 so it would really need to be when I'm off on hols. But will get through for another walk in the next couple of weeks.

Will go to woods again tomorrow as they are near mums and will remember video camera and you can see how he and me are.

Thanks for the advice about other dogs...would honestly never have thought of throwing treat for other dog - sounds simple when you think about it

your being hard on yourself again, hun, remember I see lots of dogs like this {100's over the years ] so have learned a lot of tricks, I think thats where other trainers are nuts, they always seem to overstep the easy way and go for some confudling confusling way of doing things that rarely work, who said dog training had to be hard

xx
the main thing is to keep enjoying your walks and having fun with the new found ben, aint it good to have a dog you can relax with and enjoy x
Page 7 of 9 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 >