Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-02-2008, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by Benzmum View Post
Thanks Colin

It really was a worthwhile trip from so many different angles - letting Ben interact with Dogs who's owners were perfectly ok with Ben and new how their dogs would react, knowing there was someone there who was more than capable of sorting out any problems if there had been any, hearing similar stories with happy endings, getting tips about my handling and behaviour ( I did not even realise how tight I had the lead till Shona pointed out it was wrapped round my hand about 7 or 8 times, and as she pointed out she could walk Kaos on lead holding the lead with only 1 finger - so there was no need at all to use my lead like a glove ) and also meeting everyone and their dogs.

I have always had treats but mainly used my voice but Ben really responded well to food in fact you'd think he hadnt had his breakfast - greedy we sod!!! But Shona gave me some good advice my voice commands were a bit lacking aswell like I needed to say things (good and bad) like I meant them. And to see how someone else could work with Ben rather than me who works against him was inspiring.

I am sure I will be posting about long happy stress free walks in the summer
Tha's really good that you have learn't something about lead control as that's one of the biggest faults I see in people around here when walking there dogs.

Something I do with mine when praising or telling them off is to have a slight change in my voice as if talking to a child.

So when they are getting praised I make it enjoyable and fun for them, but when they do something they shouldn't then thet get a quick sharp NO or whatever. That way they can tell from my tone as well as the word itself if it is a command or not.

Just remember you are the boss, so be assertive and let Ben know that you are in charge.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2008, 01:36 PM
your still being hard on yourself hun, its not that you workrd against him, you did what you thought was right, all you needed was some fresh idea's, x
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2008, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
your still being hard on yourself hun, its not that you workrd against him, you did what you thought was right, all you needed was some fresh idea's, x
Thanks Shona,
x

I am just sad he has missed out on lots of doggy fun.....just have to make up for it now!!!!

xx
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2008, 01:48 PM
Keep up the good work Lynne,xxxxxxxxxxx
hades
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-02-2008, 01:56 PM
Thats really good to hear!
And great pics....soon he'll be running round making new dogy friends were ever he goes!!!
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-02-2008, 02:15 PM
Lynne please don't be hard on yourself because everyone who has owned a dog has had to learn something new at one time.

Just ask Shona what I was like when I first got Skye the Rottie.

I spent weeks trying to get that stubborn cow to go in the down position next to the dobes, but I was trying to train in the same way I do my dobes and it just wasn't working for either of us.

Now I have got to use reverse sociology on her and let her think that she is top top even though she isn't. So rather than me getting them to go down in order of rank, I have to do it in reverse.

Just remember life is one big learning curve.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2008, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
Lynne please don't be hard on yourself because everyone who has owned a dog has had to learn something new at one time.

Just ask Shona what I was like when I first got Skye the Rottie.

I spent weeks trying to get that stubborn cow to go in the down position next to the dobes, but I was trying to train in the same way I do my dobes and it just wasn't working for either of us.

Now I have got to use reverse sociology on her and let her think that she is top top even though she isn't. So rather than me getting them to go down in order of rank, I have to do it in reverse.

Just remember life is one big learning curve.
lol, its all good fun though x
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-02-2008, 02:25 PM
I could be without them no matter how much work you have to put in.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2008, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
I could be without them no matter how much work you have to put in.
im sure you ment,, couldn't lol or did ya not
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-02-2008, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
im sure you ment,, couldn't lol or did ya not
Well spotted Shona. Yes I did mean couldn't.

But I must admit there has been times when I could do with a lay in rather then having to get up each morning at 6am to let them all out for a poo, and the peace and quiet wouldn't go a miss either at the moment. I've Onyx and Jess running around the living and out into the garden like their bums are on fire.
Page 5 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »