Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2013, 04:38 AM

Well... it's over. (update @post 21)

I was taking a nap in my room. Apparently, my mother came to feed Jade in my room while I was sleeping, thinking I'd over sleep etc. She mixed Jades canned food into her dry food since I'm feeding her some canned now. She put Jade's bowl down to eat.

Jade started eating. My mother had a 64 oz. bottle of water and bent to pour the water in the bowl right next to Jade. Jade apparently got aggressive and bit her on her hand. Note: Jade has NEVER shown food aggression before and we've gone through it and everything, so this was really, really unexpected.

It wasn't a bad bite. I was awoken by the noise and asked what happened and my mother explained and showed me the marks on her hand. Jade had also peed all over the floor. I inquired. My mother explained that she kicked Jade when Jade bit her and it scared Jade which is why she peed.

Attacking Blue (a cat who attacked her first), then snarling at my dad with teeth bared were strike one and two... biting my mother on her hand was strike three.

Sadly, I have the option of putting the dog back outside permanently, or giving the dog to the pound. At this point, my mother no longer truly cares what happens to her and is VERY angry about the entire thing.

I put her back into her backyard outdoor enclosure. After seeing how much happier she is indoors, it truly breaks my heart to have to do this.

I guess I could continue her leash work and stuff, but she's not allowed in the house anymore so I'm going to be away from her most of the time, ruining any real chance I had with actually bonding with her. I'm giving up, and giving the dog back to my mother. Let her do what she will with Jade

My mother says that she doesn't trust the dog and that she won't allow such a "crazy mongrel" in the house. While I truly believe that Jade can learn if enough time it put in, I understand my mothers point. It is mainly my mothers fault that Jade has as many problems as she does, but that is the way of things.

When I told my neighbor what happened, she jeered and said "You should have gotten a puppy, can't teach an old dog new tricks" and said she was happy that her "alarm system" had been reinstalled. Ugh!

I know I'm going to get a lot of heat for this, and a lot of suggestions and people telling me what I'm doing wrong, but my hands are truly tied. I can't allow Jade to scare the entire family. She can't wear a muzzle all the time, and I'm not sure what I could really say that might make my mother not fear Jade so much.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2013, 07:51 AM
No heat from me. Just REALLY REALLY sad to read this.

First reaction 'what on earth is your mother doing coming in while you sleep?' and 'Jade probably doesn't like your mother - don't think I would if I were a dog of hers'.

But at the end of the day none of that is relevant now. She did come in and it did happen. And the decision has been taken.

Wish I hadn't read this at the start of my day.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-03-2013, 08:57 AM
I think given the situation all round, and the life Jade is going to have to live, (locked outside in a enclosure) and losing the bond she has started to gain with you, I think the best thing for this girl is to have her PTS.

I know this is not a popular option, but look at the facts, no one trusts her, she will be confined to a enclosure for most of her life, she is going to revert to type if she does not get constant attention and bonding.

If you can guarantee you could find her a home with someone who can accommodate her problems , then I would suggest you try to re-home her, but if you send her to resue with her history of biting, what would be the outcome.

I think you have tried, but it sadly has not worked, with the living arrangements you have and people disliking and distrusting her I don`t know what other options you have.

Sad to hear this is happened, and don`t envy your choices .
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

31-03-2013, 09:25 AM
Oh Myra - I am desperately sad for you and for Jade. I am not going to say what I think about your mother going into your room while you were asleep because I do not wish to be banned from Dogsey - suffice it to say it was Not A Nice Thing To Do.

Poor Jade. She was so happy with you when your mom let you have her after you lost your beloved Brownie, and you worked so hard with her. It was obvious that you loved her and that she loved you. What a terrible thing to do to her now - lock her up outside again.

Much as it upsets me to think about it, let alone say it - especially having seen the videos of the wonderful bond you and Jade were achieving - I have to agree with Jackie.

Take care girl - you have your life in front of you and I hope that soon you will get all that you want, and all that you deserve.

Many (((hugs))) for you coming from half-way across the world. xx
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2013, 10:37 AM
I'm afraid I agree with Jackbox, no rescue could rehome a dog that may have bitten, and you say yourself Jade is happier indoors so keeping her outside is not really fair on her.

Can you move out of your mothers home with Jade ? That's the only thing I can think of that could save her life.
Meg
Supervisor

31-03-2013, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I think given the situation all round, and the life Jade is going to have to live, (locked outside in a enclosure) and losing the bond she has started to gain with you, I think the best thing for this girl is to have her PTS.

I know this is not a popular option, but look at the facts, no one trusts her, she will be confined to a enclosure for most of her life, she is going to revert to type if she does not get constant attention and bonding.

If you can guarantee you could find her a home with someone who can accommodate her problems , then I would suggest you try to re-home her, but if you send her to resue with her history of biting, what would be the outcome.

I think you have tried, but it sadly has not worked, with the living arrangements you have and people disliking and distrusting her I don`t know what other options you have.

Sad to hear this is happened, and don`t envy your choices .
Myra I am afraid have to I agree with JB and I think there are worse fates for a dog than being PTS .

You really have done your best for Jade and she has had some very happy times with you but I think the situation you and Jade find yourselves in now would be impossible to resolve .

I am so very sad for you....
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-03-2013, 11:36 AM
I'm so sorry it has all come down to this. I don't really know what Jade's story is (if there's a link, please pm me with it or post it here), and I feel for you very deeply. There's nothing more disappointing than not having support from your family, especially when it is about something you feel so passionately about.

I can't give you an opinion on what options could be. I'll try to find the other threads.

I'm so sorry you're going through this.
BlueJay
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2013, 11:37 AM
I'm so sorry for you and Jade
Big supportive hugs and licks from over here x x
Mazza
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-03-2013, 11:41 AM
I am so sorry for you and Jade. I reluctantly have to agree with others, poor girl will be better off given peace than going back to the life she had before. Massive hugs to you xx
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-03-2013, 12:58 PM
This is so terribly sad. I always said that I would tolerate anything in a dog except unpredictable aggression to a human.

All I can say is take a deep breath search very deep in your heart and do the best for Jade. Only you know what that is.
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 > Last »