Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2012, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
I agree with this. Even an enclosed kennel with a mesh lined run attached would give the dog an outdoor area thats cats cannot get into. And dogs can more than live with toilet breaks rather than daytime holidays I just do not agree that dogs need to be going in and out at will anyway tbh, but thats just my opinion
Exactly.

I completely accept that accidents happen, but I also think 8 times is totally inexcusable when this is mostly preventable.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2012, 06:16 PM
This is a tricky subject.

I have no neighbours, so don't have to worry about my dogs killing any cats, thankfully. However, I think if I was in a situation where one of my dogs had killed a cat (or eight cats!) then I would at the very least just check out my back door before letting said dog into garden.

I have to say I am surprised that 8 cats have succumbed to one dog in its own garden, as cats are usually pretty dog savvy and often don't enter a garden where a dog lives.
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2012, 06:30 PM
Cats enter our garden at their peril , they have trees to jump up and escape but it drives my hounds wild , my trees have many claw marks from the dogs jumping up , there are a couple of cats who still like to risk it , I always check the garden for cats and shoo them away before I let the dogs out but when the weather is good and the doors to the garden are open for the dogs to come and go as they please then the cats that take the risk have to move fast , no damage in the last 3 yrs but it is possible I suppose, I dont think I would like it though if my dogs had killed 8 !
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-04-2012, 06:47 PM
Goodness me, 8 cats! I thought cats were supposed to be clever.

We only have a few neighbours and I believe one of them has a cat but to my knowledge it has never been foolish enough to enter our garden.

There is a feral cat that hunts on the railway bank behind our garden and the dogs let us know it is there from time to time but again it has a good survival instinct.

It would never occur to me to check the garden for intruders before letting the dogs out.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2012, 07:35 PM
Regardless of who's responsibility it should be to stop a cat being killed when it enters a garden........I personally would find it too distressing and would have to cat proof my garden, for my own sanity.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2012, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Well the reality is that if the dog is allowed to continually roam outside at will, he is going to keep killing cats. You are not going to change a dog that has killed that many times and this is ultimately a management issue.
I can understand in a garden of many acres but I would not say that the majority of gardens give a dog room to "roam"- merely stretch their legs, perhaps get a bit of a run on, but not "roaming".
I agree that it is ultimately a management issue..but the one not doing the managing is the cat owner(s). The cats are certainly the ones "roaming" where they should not be.

OP is actually asking how to train the dog out of it or catproof the garden - which I think is above and beyond their responsibility as a dog owner, they have already made their garden secure enough to keep their dog in, it should be the cat owner(s)'s job to keep the cats out.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2012, 07:59 PM
Why not put a lead on till the dog can be trained? Speak to a good 1 2 1 trainer in your area ?
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-04-2012, 08:01 PM
Citrus scent along, the fence. Lemon balm plants in the garden. plus coleus canina, gernariums and pyrethrums. ram your garden with citrus smells anyway you can!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2012, 08:13 PM
I think if it was one of my dogs I'd use a long lead/training lead.

I know cats enter at their own peril, as a cat owner I watch my 5 ...... luckily (as someone told me the other day) my cats are like little dogs and stay around our own garden, we have 4 trees in our garden which they climb and watch over other peoples gardens but they in general stay close.

Funnily enough we do have stray cats come into our garden, but I don't look for them when I open the door as none of our 4 dogs chase cats. Only last night we had a ''newbie'' helping himself to the cats dinner (well joining in TBH) our cats just carried on eating and when the dogs went out it did 'freeze' but they walked past it

But if any of my dogs killed a cat .... even one I would be very vigilant as it would really stress me to think they did that....let alone 8
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2012, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
Why not put a lead on till the dog can be trained? Speak to a good 1 2 1 trainer in your area ?

Page 5 of 11 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »