View Poll Results: Entire Males
Entire with No problems at all 49 77.78%
Entire but wanders/scent marks in house/humps 2 3.17%
Entire but developed related health issues 4 6.35%
Entire but aggressive 1 1.59%
Neutered but still humps etc 8 12.70%
Neutered but still developed health issues 0 0%
Neutered but still aggressive 3 4.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 7 of 9 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
Interesting replies It seems the general consensus that having entire males is absolutely no problem at all both with behaviour and health.

So it seems all this neutering hype that the vets tell you is all a big con to get more money out of you
I absolutely agree with you. The increased risk of cancer is infintesimal - of course, if a dog has been neutered he cannot get testicular cancer, but the incidence of testicular cancer in entire males is very rare - I cannot remember the percentage - I think it was something like 0.5% of all entire males get t.c. - 1 in 200.

We have 2 entire males in our household, and 1 castrated. All the trouble we have stems from the castrated dog. Admittedly, we have only had him 6 months, and he came to us with huge issues, most of which we have addressed, but still, the fact that Ben is castrated and Tai and Gucci are entire, are the cause of all the fights that Ben and Tai have had over the past 6 months, 2 of which were extremely severe. We have reached the stage now where they still kick off, but only in a half-hearted way, you can tell there is going to be no injury inflicted.

I have never had a male dog castrated, and I never would unless for health reasons as recommended by a vet. It does not reduce aggression in my experience, and it causes confusion and often fights with entire males.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
Interesting replies It seems the general consensus that having entire males is absolutely no problem at all both with behaviour and health.

So it seems all this neutering hype that the vets tell you is all a big con to get more money out of you
That is perhaps the case for owners on Dogsey, who are for the most part fairly clued up on responsible dog ownership. That is definitely NOT the case for the (thankfully few) entire males in my area, who quite frankly are a pain in the butt - figuratively and literally! if there is a dog with no recall following us, trying to hump my dogs, with it's head attached my dogs bits while it totally ignores its owner, it is ALWAYS an intact male. If you have an intact male that you can control and isn't overly interested in other dogs sexually, it isn't issue. If someone has an intact male such as the one I described, they are a real nuisance for everyone concerned.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 12:57 PM
I am afraid that the same problems would exist with the dogs that belong to these sort of owners, even if the dogs were castrated.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 01:00 PM
Castration CAN reduce certain types of aggression in certain dogs.......
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
That is perhaps the case for owners on Dogsey, who are for the most part fairly clued up on responsible dog ownership. That is definitely NOT the case for the (thankfully few) entire males in my area, who quite frankly are a pain in the butt - figuratively and literally! if there is a dog with no recall following us, trying to hump my dogs, with it's head attached my dogs bits while it totally ignores its owner, it is ALWAYS an intact male. If you have an intact male that you can control and isn't overly interested in other dogs sexually, it isn't issue. If someone has an intact male such as the one I described, they are a real nuisance for everyone concerned.
but what makes the fact that the dog is entire the problem?
There are plenty neutered dogs that show this behaviour (and worse)
Training is training. Neutered or not.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
but what makes the fact that the dog is entire the problem?
There are plenty neutered dogs that show this behaviour (and worse)
Training is training. Neutered or not.
I guess you and I must have different experiences then, because never once has it been a neutered male following us, licking my dogs bits, posturing, salivating and trying to mount, with it's head inserted up my dogs bum! I avoid the entire dogs that I know of like the plague, as do others.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 01:45 PM
I guess you and I must have different experiences then, because never once has it been a neutered male following us, licking my dogs bits, posturing, salivating and trying to mount, with it's head inserted up my dogs bum! I avoid the entire dogs that I know of like the plague, as do others.
my entire males would not do that,bit unfair and 'ist' of you imo!
one of my sibes was at work with me and my bosses dog was in season..she was most upset that he only had eyes for the surgery cat and wanted to play with him instead lol.
that and Tupac really doesnt know females are for that(but i think their may be other reasons for that)

i have also known neutered males that perform the behavior you describe.

that said..if my males were like that 'off they would come' im afraid..but id also look at why they were not stimulated enough to have only 'that' on their brain.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 02:24 PM
and you know of every other entire dog in the area do you? and you avoid them so...how do you know they are entire?

anyhoo...thats besides the point. Point is that is called discrimination and 'tarring' not different experiences.

As smokeybear said, if they are allowed to behave like that then they will whether or not you chop their balls off! (well she didnt say it like that..)

Also, have you ever been to a dog show, to an obedience show, to an agility show to 'the beating' or Schutzhund?
You will meet PLENTY (sometimes all the dogs are) entire NOT displaying that behaviour!!

I also think you didnt get what I meant which was, what exactly tells you that the dog is only behaving that way since it is entire?
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 02:30 PM
There is someone in my area who is very into his working gun dogs, they are all entire, they all behave about as impeccably as you can have a dog behave. These dogs are very well trained, polite and sociablly sensible dogs. Try telling him to go and neuter his dogs to improve their behaviour! Just one example. He himself has commmented on neutered/spayed dogs causing confusion in entire dogs and also not always reacting reliably etc and Iv seen it too. However I do not accuse only neutered dogs of causing problems on walks etc. (neither does the person I mentioned) Most of the dogs that act aggressivley towards mine turn out to be neutered males, again, I dont go blaming DA on neutered males.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 02:33 PM
My boy has his and Ive never felt the need to chop them off.

he doesnt like another dog putting its head over his shoulder and if an entire dog approaches him and is 'rude' he will be most verbal about it but he doesnt go 'looking' for trouble.

Highly submissive/nervy dogs make him suspicious and are viewed with caution

He has been disliked by any collie we have ever met and one in particular liked to grab his face when its owner wasnt concentrating. which he ignored point blank as he does when anyone smaller than him lunges at him with the spikey end flashing

Big black dogs he has never liked.

He has a girlfriend who he will have a cheeky hump of now and again if Im some distance away but a sharp 'leave' will put a stop to it. we went to my friends one day and he completely ignored their JRT who was in full season (she forgot to let me know!) who kept throwing herself at him in favour of going and playing with said gfriend.

hes never humped or marked in the house (ok he humped a guys leg once after going to greet a whole room of people at xmas he went all the way round the room kissing and smiling until he came to a particular chap who he took one look at and humped his leg!! - funnily the chap was known for being a bit of a wet wendy and being hen pecked by his wife. he only ever did it that once)

he prefers a good wrestle i think

i often wonder if entire dogs are physically more robust than others (reproductive organs aside) does neutering have an adverse effect on them physiologically/structurally? - i seem to read more and more these days dogs suffereing things like cruciate issues etc and it makes me wonder. If i was a scientific researcher I would investigate
Page 7 of 9 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 >