View Poll Results: Entire Males
Entire with No problems at all 49 77.78%
Entire but wanders/scent marks in house/humps 2 3.17%
Entire but developed related health issues 4 6.35%
Entire but aggressive 1 1.59%
Neutered but still humps etc 8 12.70%
Neutered but still developed health issues 0 0%
Neutered but still aggressive 3 4.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
I do think it would be interesting to have an impartial factual report, as opposed to anecdotal reports from owners.

I certainly didn't see any "instant"change of behaviour in my neutered male, in fact his behaviour never changed at all !

Now in my spayed bitches one very nervous rescue eventually after being here for three or so years did become more outgoing & stable in temperament, she was spayed within months of me finding her, was that because she was spayed or simply because she was secure & had learnt to trust people ???
What was the behaviour that he was neutered for?

I also know of a dog who was lovely when entire but when castrated at about 7 became a wreck and aggressive to other dogs.

rune
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
What was the behaviour that he was neutered for?

I also know of a dog who was lovely when entire but when castrated at about 7 became a wreck and aggressive to other dogs.

rune
He wasn't neutered for any behaviour, he picked up an infection that spread to his testes & he had them removed on medical grounds

He was a normal GSD with normal GSD behaviour
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 07:49 PM
Mine's become somewhat more of a pain since he got the snip to be honest - started counter surfing (quite what he was planning to DO with the hoover hose is beyond me - was all he accomplished), bin raiding and trying to hump.
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 08:02 PM
I have in the past had 2 boys that were entire no problems at all.
The only reason that my boys are done now is its a mixed household, if I just had boys I wouldnt get them done.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 09:50 PM
You left off Neutered with No probs.

I used to have a male un-neutered years back, every bitch on heat in the area he became an escape artist

Bruce is neutered, no probs health or aggression wise....just my preference
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 10:48 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
He wasn't neutered for any behaviour, he picked up an infection that spread to his testes & he had them removed on medical grounds

He was a normal GSD with normal GSD behaviour
Oh right----well in that case why would anything change? If he wasn't aggressive he wasn't going to become non aggressive, if he wasn't marking in the house he couldn't stop and if he wasn't humping everything in sight he wasn't likely to start after being neutered.

You sounded surprised that he hadn't changed---I wouldn't expect him to on that basis.

rune
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 11:12 PM
Nuetered male here but still humps...

I would personally always get pet dogs spayed and neutered as a matter of preference, as I don't see the point in keeping them intact.
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-02-2011, 11:33 PM
I think this depends on the breed and the breeding of the dog concerned.

I have English Setters who generally have a low sex drive - although there is the exception that proves the rule.

I have 2 adult males aged 11 and a half and one puppy aged 9 months, and three adult females one of which was spayed recently for medical reasons.

Fleet was castrated at 9 years when his show career was over to prevent the distress he went through when the bitches are in season.

I've had no testosterone related behavioural problems.

I dont recommend neutering of ES puppies because we dont have sex related behavioural problems - just breed related behaviours ! And neutering adversely affects the coat.

What have other breeds found ?

Thalice's Mum
twix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-02-2011, 11:55 PM
At one time I had 6 entire males and one neutered.

Now, 2 rescue males neutered before they came to me and 2 entire males, who seem to be undersexed (!) as I have entire bitches and they don't bother.

I've always been sceptical when puppy owners have told me their males behaviour changed the very day after they were castrated. I put it down to the GA still in their system!

(Ditto when they've changed the food due to behavioural issues - usually changed to the one their vets stock - the dog has completely turned around the day after).
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 09:15 AM
That Lhasa DID change in a week! Week one he was chasing Etta all over the garden (she was a pup still) next week he was trotting round sniffing----week one he weed EVERYWHERE in my house (he belongs to a friend) from week 2 on he will do a dribble on the way in---so in fairness he does still mark although nothing like before.

He had been a stud dog and more or less lived in a crate for ages before he was rescued.

rune
Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »