register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Add prong/choke collars to the shock collar partial ban?
Add just PRONG collars to the ban 14 24.56%
Add just CHOKER chains/collars to the ban 1 1.75%
Add BOTH Prong & Choker collars/chains to the ban 36 63.16%
Don't care whether they are added or not 1 1.75%
No - don't add them to the ban 5 8.77%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 4 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 12:25 AM
...lol aye the dogs look happy cos the collars are not attached to their tormentors
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 12:30 AM
Personally I don't think any topic should be banned, Unless they are just promoting to make money.

Everyone has opinions and isnt that the whole Point of a forum to hear from others?

ATD x
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 12:33 AM
I was reading something the other day by a respected dog trainer, and she stated that in fact, prong collars are in some ways kinder than full choke collars. I found that interesting.
I've seen this stated by a lot of trainers on another forum. Most of them are positive trainers and would prefer to see a dog on a prong over a choke chain. Apparently most dogs tend to stop pulling on a prong because it hurts whereas with a choke chain they just carry on pulling and can do more damage to themselves that way. Having never used a prong and not knowing a whole lot about them I can't say how true it is.
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 12:35 AM
Can someone pleaase explain to me if prong collars are so good, why can you buy covers that make the prong collar have the appearance of a flat collar when out in public? Or covers for the prongs ?
LuvMyDog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-02-2011, 12:36 AM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
Firstly, just out of interest, how do we know the dogs are 'happy'?
Do any of them look remotely bothered, distressed or in pain? The body language is relaxed but the ears are alert, their focus isn't on the collar, it's on the handler out of picture because they think they're about to start working. One of the GSD's though she was going for a walk when the collar came out, she probably seems less impressed than the others because we were just in the garden taking her photo and weren't moving towards the gate as usual, all excited to go but didn't go anywhere. If you believe some of the posters these pictures couldn't be possible.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 12:42 AM
Originally Posted by LuvMyDog View Post
Do any of them look remotely bothered, distressed or in pain? The body language is relaxed but the ears are alert, their focus isn't on the collar, it's on the handler out of picture because they think they're about to start working. One of the GSD's though she was going for a walk when the collar came out, she probably seems less impressed than the others because we were just in the garden taking her photo and weren't moving towards the gate as usual, all excited to go but didn't go anywhere. If you believe some of the posters these pictures couldn't be possible.
Im querying what you say - you state you know the dogs & dogs watching handlers etc. You have your location as the UK, yet the photo of the Boxer is one with prick ears - ear cropping is banned in the UK ?!
LuvMyDog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-02-2011, 12:46 AM
Originally Posted by Moonstone View Post
Can someone pleaase explain to me if prong collars are so good, why can you buy covers that make the prong collar have the appearance of a flat collar when out in public? Or covers for the prongs ?
If you have a plated collar (chrome etc) it stops a fair amount of mud and water splashing up onto the collar and damaging the finish. If it's raining the water will still run through the fur and onto the collar but not to the same degree.

Some say it quietens the collar down, I'm not overly convinced about that, once it's on the dog it doesn't make anywhere near the level of noise when you can scrunch it in your hands.

Then there's the owners who prefer discression, you've seen from the response here of people running up to lecture people on their choice of equipment. Most people wouldn't have a clue what a prong collar is or wouldn't say anything, but there's always the one.

The covering caps stop the collar marking light coloured dogs fur. It doesn't mean the collar definitely will without them, but it does mean the collar needs cleaning occasionally to get the grime off it. They also increase the surface area, some dogs don't need much of a stimulus from the prongs and it also reassures the owner. If you don't brush a short haired dog the fur can tuft where the prongs touch, they cut down the chance of tufting if you don't brush that often.
LuvMyDog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-02-2011, 12:47 AM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Im querying what you say - you state you know the dogs & dogs watching handlers etc. You have your location as the UK, yet the photo of the Boxer is one with prick ears - ear cropping is banned in the UK ?!
It's a German dog.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 12:52 AM
I object to the admins use of emoticons to influence the result, likewise I'd like the last sentence to be substantiated or removed as a biased and unfounded opinion purely to distort the results. Lets keep this factual and fair, shall we?
Whats fair about a device that digs into a dogs neck making wounds. You could argue the wounds wouldnt occur with a longer coated breed or heavier coated breed - you just wouldnt see the wounds so visibly

I consider Prongs & Pinch collars as being objectionable tools & fully support any call to ban them
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 12:57 AM
It's a German dog.
Exactly, so how do you know its comfortable
Page 4 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »