register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Add prong/choke collars to the shock collar partial ban?
Add just PRONG collars to the ban 14 24.56%
Add just CHOKER chains/collars to the ban 1 1.75%
Add BOTH Prong & Choker collars/chains to the ban 36 63.16%
Don't care whether they are added or not 1 1.75%
No - don't add them to the ban 5 8.77%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 11 of 11 « First < 8 9 10 11
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-02-2011, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
The owner can stop it! And correctly fitted, the dog stopping in its tracks can loosen it too. But we're not on about training methods here are we.... more about what damage any equipment can do in the wrong hands?
indeed and agreed on both points. good post.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-02-2011, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
Only if it steps back. Or stays until you go forward...

Any 'equipment' is going to cause damage in the wrong hands but some (E-collars, prongs and choke chains) even more so.
very true.

an interesting question is, what would be the order of worseness between e, prong, check/choke?
abbie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
A check chain is no different from a slip collar or lead, the effect is the same.

Pinch collars are available in the UK and are not banned, they are often seen on pointers and setters at KC licensed trials before they are worked.

Personally I am not in favour of bans, I do not believe they are necessary. People should be able to have a discussion about any subject provided they are not hurling personal abuse.
Around here (Ireland) it seems to be the norm that pinch collars are used by the majority at the schutzhund clubs. I do not know if this is the same in the UK.

They are very disliked by anybody that I know involved in agility or obedience and did not know that they would be allowed at any KC licenced events. I am sure they are not allowed at IKC events.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
very true.

an interesting question is, what would be the order of worseness between e, prong, check/choke?
Probably depends on the dog and the handler but perhaps when you put it that way, for the dog, they are all as bad as one another?
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 10:07 PM
Originally Posted by abbie View Post
Around here (Ireland) it seems to be the norm that pinch collars are used by the majority at the schutzhund clubs. I do not know if this is the same in the UK.

They are very disliked by anybody that I know involved in agility or obedience and did not know that they would be allowed at any KC licenced events. I am sure they are not allowed at IKC events.
Havent seen any on the Sch dogs here but thats not to say some people who do that with thier dogs wont use them. Mainly they realise the benefit of teh dog having play/rewards I think.

Working Trials, wouldnt have thought they would go down well.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 10:56 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
very true.
I'd want to see what the handler is doing, first.

I use to use check/choke, and also half-check. It was what I was taught in the early 80's at dog classes then. State of the Art for the time.

The first dog training book i ever read in my life was John Holmes' "The Obedient Dog". Got it out of the library and trained my family's puppy that way. I just got a copy of it from Ebay to see what I thought. Yes it is a lot harsher than we are used to these days. Knowing more i doubt i would need to fall back on those methods.
Page 11 of 11 « First < 8 9 10 11