Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2010, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by cava14una View Post
I changed to your method Mish and found it suited my dog very well.

As for the "time" thing we could all do it so not cheating IMO just blooming clever

I'm lucky to have a friend who I train with from time to time who is very motivating and positive both with dogs and handlers, just wish she didn't live at other side of the country so I could train with her more often.
Fabby, i think if you can really bond with a trainer its the best thing for insperation!
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-12-2010, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Idagree with you thats theres more than one way to teach a dog to do a stay, but PLEASE respect methods other people use, obviously i like to use it because it works well for me

Do you compete?

I know one lady whose say command & last command is "time" so each time "time" is called throught the stay, her dog is reinforced. Clever /cheating i cant decide! tis clever though
My dog taught himself "exercise finished".
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2010, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by Tass View Post
My dog taught himself "exercise finished".
bless! thats a good one.

what did he do?

I always used to let mav bark after x finished, but it started to get earlirer & earlier!!!! so had to stop it. boo!
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-12-2010, 03:41 PM
bless! thats a good one.

what did he do?

I always used to let mav bark after x finished, but it started to get earlirer & earlier!!!! so had to stop it. boo!
He would "release" himself and get up from his stay and happily come over to me waving his tail I didn't stop it as it amused me, he didn't anticipate and he was right, he had done his bit and deserved his fuss by then

He also taught himself that "goodbye" meant the phone call was finished and Mum was free to play with him again.

Are you noticing a trend here?-smart dog
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2010, 04:04 PM
He would "release" himself and get up from his stay and happily come over to me waving his tail I didn't stop it as it amused me, he didn't anticipate and he was right, he had done his bit and deserved his fuss by then

He also taught himself that "goodbye" meant the phone call was finished and Mum was free to play with him again.

Collie by any chance?

I know mine pick up things like that really quickly. e.g. we smoke but not in the house, so we go out in the garden. Our first rescue dog had only been with us a week before he stopped playing just before we were ready to go back indoors. He had worked out that when we stubbed our fags out it was time to go back inside!
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2010, 04:33 PM

Bless him!!!!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2010, 04:34 PM
no not at all i use it to reinforce what "Stay" means. Teach the sit stay that way (i ALWAYS teach a solid sit stay before the down -for obvious reasons!)
i use it as a resistance as i move away, gently put a pressure on the lead towards me so the dog automatically pulls back & down into its bum-then i can praise & return to reward.
(mainley use it for sit stay) that way the dog trys harder & its clear what im praising for , ie its bum staying on the floor.

Also to reinforce the attention on me, so if the dog starts to galk around i can reinforce , despite the distance to watch me.
I want to be doing minium talking whilst im "away" from the dog, so this way i can be away but still in control.

I need a stay with no moving, no sniffing, no change position, in sight & out of sight.

Works for me
Fair nuff, I can see what you are saying
I missread it and thought you ment you used lead punishment/restraint for breaking the stay
I understand the concept of opposition to the force - pulling back when pulled, its not something I fancy using as I find heavy reinforcments and increasing distractions works really nice (and I dont compeate in obedience - I just want an agility start line stay)
One thing that comes to mind tho
Does this not make teaching loose lead walking difficult because you are teaching them to pull on the lead?
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-12-2010, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Collie by any chance?

I know mine pick up things like that really quickly. e.g. we smoke but not in the house, so we go out in the garden. Our first rescue dog had only been with us a week before he stopped playing just before we were ready to go back indoors. He had worked out that when we stubbed our fags out it was time to go back inside!
Belgian shepherd - nuf said
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2010, 04:59 PM
I was taught to teach basic positions on lead. The mere fact of the lead being there changes the dogs behaviour. Well it limits the options for a start.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2010, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Fair nuff, I can see what you are saying
I missread it and thought you ment you used lead punishment/restraint for breaking the stay
I understand the concept of opposition to the force - pulling back when pulled, its not something I fancy using as I find heavy reinforcments and increasing distractions works really nice (and I dont compeate in obedience - I just want an agility start line stay)
One thing that comes to mind tho
Does this not make teaching loose lead walking difficult because you are teaching them to pull on the lead?
No because i dont ever have a tight lead if im teaching loose lead walking!Ispecificall teach that so the lead is never tight! (& if i did it would teach them to pull back not forward)

Anyhowwes, id not teach that way for a agility wait
, no way!

To think in ob , they can do up two potentially 4 sets of stays per weekend, from end of March to end of Oct, thats alot of "testing" & alot of money from the bank (training bank!), i find at that level, abit of resistance works well for my dogs & is quick & easy to reinforce at a show!
Page 6 of 11 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »